Thread: Anybody fish/hunt in Northwest Alaska?

Default Anybody fish/hunt in Northwest Alaska?

Hi guys and gals,

Just curious to hear some stories on fishing Northwest Alaska. Noatak River, Kobuk River...etc. I know Walt has, just wondering if anyone else has?

Was your experience satisfactory?

NW Alaska is awesome. We have done three float trips north of Kotz. Fantastic dolly and grayling fishing up that way. The Kobuk is fully planned out for a sheefish trip and I am just waiting on the time to go. Solitude, great fishing, solitude, abundant wildlife, solitude, northern lights over the campfire. What is there not to like about NW Alaska? Shoot me a pm and I will tell you anything I can on the area. If you go once, you will be going back. To anyone reading the last post that does not know Walt Maslen, he rents high quality gear in Kotzebue. He knows the area well and is a really nice guy. Check out his website, www.northwestalaska.com

Below are a few pictures from NW Alaska.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default 5.1 lbs

Found this small grayling online tonight

A retired area bio spending his retirement wisely it appears.

From the "Nome area"...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Good looking fish
    I too, hunt/fish around the area.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Found this small grayling online tonight

A retired area bio spending his retirement wisely it appears.

From the "Nome area"...

Yeah thats sure small allright....geez, that this is a hog! If it was caught in the Nome area, I would bet that it was on the Niukluk or Fish Rivers near Council at the end of the road. Notice the trees in the background....Sweet Pic!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post

I would bet that it was on the Niukluk or Fish Rivers near Council at the end of the road.

I thought the same. Fished down in Council one time. Great grayling fishing. But I never saw any hogs like this. Incredible grayling. Had it been weighed, it would be the state record. Glad they let it swim away.