Thread: Dave Scaddens new uni trac design

Default Dave Scaddens new uni trac design

This past weekend at the outdoor show I meet Dave and was very impressed with his new outlaw boats The avenger xx looks just great to me for a small floater for two and be able to take along camping gear for trips.
    I have been looking to get a bit bigger boat so a friend could join me on floats. Looking at all the boats as some do find out that there is many good and bad with almost all of them. Thinking I wanted maybe a 14ft cat then finding out it won't carry much weight even though it looks big, then thinking ok maybe the 16ft jag. Finding out it doesn't carry much weight either. I know there is the lion and others like it but I don't want to float in a tank like barge.
    It seems that a lot of people think the 18 ft leopard is the way. I think that for hunting and floating that would be great , but most of the time I'm not hunting and I like to not have to pull along a big trailer and truck every where I go. I even have those things but like it when I can go in the subaru. bigger and bigger is what so many think,I'm trying to downsize in life but want more than a canoe or kayak.
    So I'm wondering did anyone look the new scadden boats over. He was giving out a dvd that was a lot of fun to watch with the boats in action.
    Anyone have one of these new uni - trac design boats?
    Thanks to everyone on this forum. I enjoy reading about what everyone is thinking out there,lots of good info for all to learn more and be safe while enjoying the great alaska rivers. Andrew

Default Scadden boats

I've looked at Dave's boats sevaral times over the last few years, and almost bought on before I settled on my new boat(s).

The uni-trac is a great design, more versatility than most, but watch the video closely, when weighted down they are almost submerged, capacities are never measured the same by any 2 companies.

Boat manufacturers would be doing us a favor by rating capacity in relation to depth.

I wound up not getting the Scadden because I didn't want to drag the bottom of the river with 2 guys and a weekends worth of gear.

I'll probably buy one as a day tripper once I pay of the cats I bought this year.
    Jasen001

Default An alternative-

Looks like a wet ride to me! No floor either, so clumsy me.... I would drop my reel in the river or something...

Have you considered one of the AIRE Puma series? HERE'S A LINK with tons of pics and vids to show you the capabilities of this boat. It's a great rig for two people fishing, paddle rafting, or whatever. I've tossed 'em in the back of the pickup and headed for the river that way. No trailer needed, and it packs up pretty small for what it does. Narrower profile than a regular round boat, but it's a bailer, so it's a stiff boat (good performance) and has an insulated floor, which is pretty important on our cold Alaska rivers.

Check it out!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default raft

Well- here is another option- I have some 10' rafts (AKA round boats) with extra large 19" tubes that you can R-2, that will carry all you can fit in it and not be over loaded. About 50# with out thwarts. 40 oz urethane. custom built by SOTAR for ALASKA and super cub flying.
    good luck on your next adventure--
    Goo

Default Sotar

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Well- here is another option- I have some 10' rafts (AKA round boats) with extra large 19" tubes that you can R-2, that will carry all you can fit in it and not be over loaded. About 50# with out thwarts. 40 oz urethane. custom built by SOTAR for ALASKA and super cub flying.
    good luck on your next adventure--
    Goo
    Goo,

Thanks for mentioning that SOTAR boat; I really liked the look of the one I saw at the show. Can you post a photo of it?

Folks, the boat Goo is talking about is really a killer little round boat with great flotation. You can't beat the weight either; 50#! That would fit on my pack frame very nicely!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default 10' sotar

If any one would like to see this raft- check out the Jan. FISH ALASKA mag. page 52- I will get some other photos from Rene from his trip last year on the Arolik river.
    Goo

Default uni - trac design

Thank you guys for your info. I have thought of the puma and other round boats. I think they would be great to float with lots of gear and work well.
    What I would like to do some times is to have a small kicker and think that is harder to do in round boats. With Daves uni- trac design turning the frame around and with the round end forward it will zip right along with power.
    As to it being a wet boat ya it might be a bit,but most of my floating is for fishing. I like to wade fish so with wading gear not to worried about that.
    As to no floor I see some pros and cons. Dropping a fly rod would suck $700+
    gone fast. Maybe a small trampoline net or something would help.
    Dave said what some people do is get more aluminum decking like the one that comes with it holds 120 qt cooler and you could deck it over with that.
    I kind of like the idea of no floor as to be able and stand in shallow water and fish without getting out. If you ended up stuck on a rock in the middle of some river it would be easier to get off than a round boat. If you were to flip it you grab the foot rest with your hands riding it around and pull yourself up between the tubes for protection as you bounce along getting to shore than flip it over and build a big ass fire.
    As for weight carry in the video it looks like the smaller open end tubes ride a bit low with a big load, but the round end looked to carry a load good to me. Dave said the avenger xx would carry 1800 lbs. I don't think I would do that as I don't need to bring along the cast iron sink and I hate T.V. Still think it would carry more than say the pac 12 and other small cats.
    Thank you michael for a great 3 hrs at the sportsman show, I was the big guy right in front on friday. Love your book and nice to have finally meet
    you. I know that everyone has ideas as to what is best and I guess its a personal call. I would rather deal with ARK as they are good guys,but with dave offering lifetime warranty and he will pay shipping thats pretty good to. Still thinking! Andrew

Default Scadden McKenzie Drifter

I think I'm with you Power Drifter, sometimes less is more. I bought a 13' McKenzie Drifter demo boat from Dave last fall at a great price. I haven't even had the chance to get it wet yet but I think I'm really going to like it. It's going to be a great alternative to my 14' round raft for short floats in smaller water like the Willow. I wanted something that was easier to handle/portage when rafting with my wife or old man. One thing I really like is you can stand between the tubes, grab the frame and carry the whole thing very easily. Just don't drop anything! While not the exact same raft you're looking at, I bet they would perform similarly.

Dave really has a ton of experience floating in all types of water all over the place. Sometimes I think their office gets a bit overwhelmed and a thing or two might fall through the cracks, but overall they have been outstanding to work with. And how can you beat a lifetime warrenty (at least on the bladderless boats)?

Bottom line, if I was going on multi-day adventures or on bigger water I think I'd prefer one of the other rafts mentioned above. But if you're going to stick with low hassle day floats in the Matsu or Kenai Peninsula with one other person, I think it would be hard to beat the Avenger.

Best of luck with whatever you decide,
    Rob