Thread: Myster Ranch Pack Experience

Talking Myster Ranch Pack Experience

I really like the looks of the Mystery ranch nice 6500 pack. An outfitter buddy of mine bought one and says it packs a heavy load real well but it's heavy as hell when you're day hunting without much in the pack. They look heavy to me as well, quite heavy. All I have used for backpack hunts to date is a hippy pack (osprey) as they seem to be lighter and well designed. The "hunting" packs haven't quite sold me yet, but I am eyeing the Mystery Ranch. I would like to hear some responses from some people who have been using various packs and what they think after using them for a few miles.
    Thanks

I just ordered one so we'll see. Well its the Behemoth which is basically the same thing. They are currently having a sale for them here. Same as the NICE 6500, but currently only $299 for the frame and pack (instead of $625 which is what they currently want for the NICE 6500 with the bag and frame). We'll see. Yeah they are way freaking heavy. We'll see how I like it but at that price if it works out its a bargin or I can just sell it.

The sale is over on April 11th (Saturday). Also I bought my wife the Cerberus to try out. I also got a load sling for mine. The thinking behind this is when we get to where we camp and start day hunting I can strap her Cerberus to my frame and she can haul her gun and water bladder in the load sling and I'll haul the rest. Then in the event we get an animal we'll swap back and I'll carry the loin's share of the meat back to camp in the load sling and she'll carry the gear and some of the meat. Plus on shorter trips I can borrow my wife's Cerberus when she isn't going when I only need 4500 cu in instead of 6500. We'll how we'll they fit. I know its pretty hit or miss as far as who these fit, but I'm optimistic. I like all the options to swap different packs and what not between the frames. Kinda like the Thompson Center Encore of packs if you will I'll keep ya posted if I like them or not.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 04-09-2009 at 00:40.

Personally, I would not want a pack that is heavy when it is empty. I have a kelty hunting pack, and it is OK, but definetely not the best. One day I will spend the money and get a top of the line pack.

I have a Mystery Ranch G-5000, and it is by far my favorite pack. It's totally adjustable very comfortable with a heavy load. I can pack sleeping bag, tent, stove, fuel cannisters, fishing vest and enough spare clothes and food to last me 2 weeks if I want. If I need more gear for hunting or climbing, I pack into a day pack and strap the day pack to the main pack.

I use a NICE frame with a load sling for sheep hunting and it is hands down the most comfortable pack system I have ever used. I put all my gear in a lightweight sea to summit dry bag and that keeps the total pack weight at around six pounds. I also take a smaller dry bag and throw it in the load sling for a day pack. That way, I can bring a sheep down the mountain without going back to camp and yes you can haul an entire sheep with this system. This baby can haul!

I have a 6500 and also a load sling to go with my NICE frame. It's a little heavy when empty, but the thing is truly bomb proof, and it distributes heavy loads really good. I will never regret the investment. You can haul a lot of gear in the 6500 bag, and in addition the load sling truly makes it more comfortable to haul quarters. I've had a few packs and looked at hundreds, MR is the way to go until something better comes along.

Default Dan vs Dana!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I just ordered one so we'll see. Well its the Behemoth which is basically the same thing. They are currently having a sale for them here. Same as the NICE 6500, but currently only $299 for the frame and pack (instead of $625 which is what they currently want for the NICE 6500 with the bag and frame). We'll see. Yeah they are way freaking heavy. We'll see how I like it but at that price if it works out its a bargin or I can just sell it.

The sale is over on April 11th (Saturday). Also I bought my wife the Cerberus to try out. I also got a load sling for mine. The thinking behind this is when we get to where we camp and start day hunting I can strap her Cerberus to my frame and she can haul her gun and water bladder in the load sling and I'll haul the rest. Then in the event we get an animal we'll swap back and I'll carry the loin's share of the meat back to camp in the load sling and she'll carry the gear and some of the meat. Plus on shorter trips I can borrow my wife's Cerberus when she isn't going when I only need 4500 cu in instead of 6500. We'll how we'll they fit. I know its pretty hit or miss as far as who these fit, but I'm optimistic. I like all the options to swap different packs and what not between the frames. Kinda like the Thompson Center Encore of packs if you will I'll keep ya posted if I like them or not.
    Good luck.
    Looks like it is shaping up to be Dan vs Dana....Mystery vs McHale.... Showdown on the Rock! 5000' salt water to summit and back. The test of tests if we both find Billy!!

Default Eberlestock

Is anyone using the Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly? I just got mine, so far I like it, especially the internal scabard. Any takers?
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

I checked it out and was not too confidant in it's ability to haul really heavy loads. I have heard prople say thit it works great though. I do have one of their day packs w/ the scabard which I wear on my sno go in case lupus or Mr yote makes an appearance. It does very well for that. The rifle is a little loud in the scabbard when I am walking around though. All in all it is one of the better packages in my opinion and I prefer it over the badlands packs. I may pick up a J104 or 107 in the future to use for day trips or ultra light overnight trips for blackies where the total pack load wouldn't go over about 80-90lbs and would average 25-30 untill an animal was harvested.

Looking at the Crewcab. I just like the idea of it "collapsing" for day trips and such. Just more versitile.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default Might try the new Kifaru Timberline

Sheepeater: Take a look at the Kifaru line of packs. The KU 5200 only weighs 2lb. 13oz. and will compress down to day pack. Better yet, look at the new Timberline that Patrick and Aron designed. Either pack will haul a ton. Good Luck. phil

I am using a Mystery Ranch Kodiak.I have a 105 lbs in it for training.It handles that weight NP and my back does not get sore.100 lbs is still **** heavy though.

I'll let you all know how the crew cab works out on this goat hunt. I think it'll be the ticket for a non-hike in hunt!

I bought a NICE 6500 with a load sling before last moose season and love it! I have only had a cheap cabelas pack before so I don't know about other brands. I easily fit all my gear for a week in it. The true beauty of it is when I attached the load sling to it and hauled moose quarters back to camp.. Super comfortable! The quarters were around 130# and although heavy, it really wasn't that bad to carry. I would definitely recommend this pack to anyone who hunts and carries alot of gear.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Has anyone looked at or tried the new Mystery Ranch Alpha Wolf pack?

I too only had the Alaskan pack from Cabelas. It worked, but wasn't anything great. Beat it up over the 12+ years of abuse its been through.
    didn't get the load sling but think i shoudl have, however with the crew cab set up, I think that opening will be the cats arse for hauling goat. Getting it set up to my body has been interesting (more so because I had to have the wife help...and I'm thinking she doesn't listen ).
    Also with the nice frame now, if need be I can just get the 6500 bag or other NICE bags.