Thread: Whats in your garden?

Default Whats in your garden?

I am starting a garden this summer here in north pole. I gave fertilizer already roto'ed in last fall and am looking at doing elevated beds. I am curious as to what others have had success in growing in alaska. I have a 30 by 20 area set up for a garden.
    "One Last Cast"

We are in the process of planning and building a 20x20 greenhouse with radiant heat, a potting bench, plumbing and electricity in it.

I am not sure how big my actual outdoor garden will be this year, but I am assuming it should be bigger. We have a couple of us in our family that have severe allergies. It's time we start growing our own vegis to eat.

So far, we have planted:
    corn
    tomatoes (choc cherry, beefsteak, and early growers)
    melons
    cucumbers

and for flowers, I have started lilies (they are my favorite flower).

We are definitely going to do some broccoli, lettuce, and cabbage, but I am not sure what else we plan to grow. I'd like to do a big pumpkin, too... but that's really stretching it this year.
    Lurker.

Default The wife

has decided on: snow peas, squash, carrots, beats, cabbage, lettuce, onions, spinach, cukes, pumpkin, okra, and brussel sprouts.

Potatoes, cabbage, peas, a few salad greens we also have a big rhubarb patch herb garden. Right now we have 5' of snow on it right now but Redoubts ash is taking care of that.
    Chuck

outside- carrots, turnips, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, swiss chard, romaine and leaf lettuce, radishes, dill, peas and a potato garden and a rhubarb & chive patch.

In the greenhouse- tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, herbs.

Flowers- calendulas, marigolds, shirley poppies, viola's, pansy's, sunflowers, and some wildflower mixes.

And ya, we got 2 to 3 feet of snow still on the ground here too.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default I have about a foot of snow and hopw it quits growing! haha

I do mostly flowers, I have Delpheniums that do great and tiger lilies that do awesome, bleeding hearts all over the place, peonies in a very sunny sloping spot for good drainage and sun, I got phlox to grow last year and they are under water right now so I have been trying to get them to drain but there is a snow bank in the way. I have been trying to get hollyhocks to bloom but haven't succeeded yet, maybe this year. I want to try some zuchini, beets, and radishes. but will see what happens!

Thanks for all the input. I am anxious to get out and get a garden in. I know I have to wait till end on may to plant anything. I am going to build a cold frame and use that in the beginning.
    "One Last Cast"

You don't have to wait till may!
    I have carrots, 3 types of lettuce, cellery, broccoli and onions growing in my south facing livingroom windows. I also have a couple of 5 gallon buckets growing potatos in my garage.
    Do a google search on square foot or container gardening. Summer is to short I try to get as much of a head start as I can.
    Last edited by Ak Bird Brain; 04-12-2009 at 22:30. Reason: Almost forgot the broccoli

Our garden will contain cabbage, carrots, white turnips (like the snow apples from Wednesday Market in Anch.), radishes, zucchini, gold nugget squash, potatoes and tomatoes. Also basil, parsley, thyme and cilantro. Plus a variety of flowers. Currently we are fighting damp off in seed starts. It seems a bit overboard but my wife is staying at home.

I love growing squash.... it thrives up here. As does spinich and potatoes. Lettuce can be tricky but if you like beans and peas.. go for it.. you won't go wrong. It is a lot like Michigan growing.... cold weather items.

Toms need to be in a green house though... as do peppers.

good luck
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.