Thread: interior bears

Default interior bears

i know its early but anyone find any bear sign yet with this warm weather were having?

saw fresh tracks in snow at mchugh creek hikin area near anchorage.....1 black got shot breakin into a house on hillside here in a anchorage, heard of bears hangin outside the dens on the denali highway....yea there out but probly not for the summer, just stretchin there legs and clearin out the system

You guys are soooooooo LUCKY!!!!

I wish a Bear would come to my house for shooting....~~LOL!!~~

Actually it warmed up ALOT, and started to drip like crazy around here.....I got so excited it was hard working at home, so i just worked Fast..~~LOL!!~~and got all ready to go ,a bit after 5pm but it started to drizzel and then the fog/heavy snow moved in....shucks.....well, any tracks will be fresh in the morning anyhoo.
    Hopefully tomarrow morning will be clear, and I can perch "UP"with my Steiners and a thermos of boiled coffee......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

We just had our first day at 40 on tuesday... 36 yesterday lasting about 2 hours n the day. and calling for high 40-50 today and tomorrow with rain possible.. so it will start popping soon. the snow still has a very hard crust on it. and is not rotting out well yet. very little dripping up high to make them push out, but this week should change ALL OF THAT!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Kotz bears

It is very warm up in NW Alaska and we expect to see bears coming out soon. Lots of slop and some rain! Nothing worse than a wet den so it must be time to start looking! We have tons of snow in the country and as long as it does not all melt at once we should have 3 weeks of solid travel left!

Next Friday I am taking the 8th grade class for a all day Ski trip up in Noatak National Park. I have been doing this for a number of years. The school requires me to pack heat for bear protection but we have never had any issues. I will bring some pics back next week to share!

A fun time for all and a unit on winter survival to boot!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default Walt

That sounds like fun! I need to do some things like that with my students! Look forward to seeing your pictures!

Default Nomers

Walt- The bruins are out down this way. A few around town so far, yet to get out in the country to see what is "available" out there yet.

Default Elmendorf

Took pictures of a 5 ft BB this morning at the Base Golf Course... They are out...

Trapperschmidt, you better be typing away feverishly at a story of that bear you just posted....WOW, nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Trapperschmidt, you better be typing away feverishly at a story of that bear you just posted....WOW, nice one!
    That's what I'm saying! Schmidt, where's the story??

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    did i miss a post????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    did i miss a post????
    Check the photo gallery.

Default Grizz sightings?

Thats a nice bear Trapperschmidt has. Must be down on the coast?

So has anyone seen any new grizz sign yet in the interior? Last week was the begining of the 30+ weather in Tok. How much snow needs to melt or how high of temperatures are needed before they start coming out of dens? When out looking for bears fresh out of dens should I be looking on northern aspect slopes vs southern slopes? I've heard grizz den in higher elevations... should I be looking well above tree line... or does it not really matter. Any literature I find on bears tends to only cover coastal and Kodiak Browns. Appreciate input from anyone with experience spring hunting interior grizz.

today is the warmest yet,, sitting at 46 above. seems like 70.. should be popping now.

DANG SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meet on face book here

Almost +80 in the sun here. Dog is itching to go.

There was a Bear in my yard a few minutes ago...

i tried to walk out to the green house and post holed the trial. wound up on my back and side with snow down my pants, up my shirt and the kids laughing at me.....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

DANG SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meet on face book here

Default Spring Bear

Didn't see any sign after 90+ miles of riding. But nice weather, snow had lots of sugar areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images