Thread: Does color of line for halibut/ling matter?

Default Does color of line for halibut/ling matter?

Getting ready to have a new reel spooled up with braided line. My fishing buddy has green line on his, so I want a different color in case our lines get tangled. Are fish likely to avoid a certain color, maybe because it's more visible?

I don't think so. I use mostly green, just because I use one certain brand and it is green. But have caught them on clear, white and yellow before.

I've caught lings on green, red and yellow. If you're concerned about the color, you can put 10' of 80# fluro or mono on as a leader.

Lings are very agressive feaders, if it looks even remotely like something to eat, they'll bite.

Default It DARK down there!

I like to use monofiliment leaders for many reasons from stretch, to the fact that they are harder to see but long liners catch million of pounds on rope ganions so I would say the color of your line makes no difference other than contrasting colors make dealing with tangles much easier. We go with equal number of white, green and yellow for that reason

It's all about the rig/presentation for halibut. I will consistently outfish 3 other guys at the other corners of the deck using my hot pink sparkly squid on a 16/0 hook. I make my own rigs with heavy mono, crimps and thimbles and attach the weight right to the quick swivel over the top of where my rig attaches
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Light

How much light penetrates to 150-300 feet of water? Color should not matter unless it happens to be light emitting.

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-...the-Ocean.html
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-08-2009 at 15:31. Reason: link

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    How much light penetrates to 150-300 feet of water? Color should not matter unless it happens to be light emitting.

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-...the-Ocean.html
    Dave,

It is way dark down there and I think you are right. There was a time last year when I had white dracon on one reel, green braided line on one, black braided line on another, and bright green line on the spare. It made no difference which one I ended up with. I caught fish all the time on each. It seemed the presentation of the bait or jig was much more important.

Tim

Given that they use 4mm rope for long line skates I'd say halibut are not exactally leader shy
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Lings are somewhat leader shy. They don't like Halibut rigs too much but they will hit them.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Lings are somewhat leader shy. They don't like Halibut rigs too much but they will hit them.
    my take on that is that lings just prefer action over cut bait. big old grub will outfish cutbait on lings 10 to 1 anyday.

I do not think line color matters to Halibut or Lings. Yellow works good to keep the Porpoises from hitting your line. Place a salmon head on the Halibut rig and you will catch lings. Lings love salmon.

Default Color and depth

It is interesting to note that while halibut are not normally line shy, there are times when you can only them to bite on a small hook or a particular color of lure or jig tail. I do not know how much light there is but I have seen it time and time again where a white or chartuese jig tail will out fish others for halibut and lings. I have also see it where a 8/0 salmon hook and a 1/4 herring will catch one halibut after another all the while 12 other lines sit with a whole or half herring and a 16/0 circle hook without a bite.

So..I guess it is fir to say.....Line color no big deal since the fish are not biting the line. When the bite is on, you can catch them on a coat hanger but for the other times....It is worth putting trying a light leader, different lures and smaller hooks...

Just sayin.....

we use 300 lb. mono leaders.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Colors

I was in Hawaii last month and went down in the Atlantis submarine and I noticed that all the reds in my hawaiian shirt disappeared at about 60 feet but at 110 feet the yellows and greens were still sharp. I will try to attach a photo of the shirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default "What Fish See"

What Fish See is a great, scientifically researched book meant for fishermen(fisherpeople), my son got in through the website for Salmon, Trout and Steelhead magazine.

"contrasting colors make dealing with tangles much easier. We go with equal number of white, green and yellow for that reason " ...AK Captain, why am I just now learning this? Sure makes sense, and now I'll know whose line to cut and make them rig up again while I keep fishing! Better late than never, thanks for the tip!

Actually, we do use green, white, yellow braided lines, never has seemed to make a difference.

Salmon head for ling? OK, but halibut love them too, esp. a pink head split in half, must be something about those brains hanging out, and the other glands in there...

I haven't noticed that the color of the line matters for either species. I have noticed that Dogfish will bite more on green line over yellow or white. I have NO idea why but that was an observation I made over the last two years. The dogfish would bite the line above the swivels, losing the leader and sinkers.