Thread: Any Situk News?

Charterboat Operator

Default Any Situk News?

just wondering if anyone has any of the latest Situk info? heard there is quite a bunch of snow and not a lot of fish? Headed down next week, think I might bring the snowshoes

Lots of snow, not much water and even less fish.

But it is supposed to be warm all this week so things could change in a couple of days.

I guess there has been a few boats down it but haven't heard of anyone catching anything.

Here is the latest not off the press.

April 8th, 2009 - Optimistic, if not yet Productive
    Well, we have seen some traffic through the shop the past three days, but all people just arriving and no one actually off the river. Sorry for the lack of new info, but there hasn't been. I did get an accurate fresh report today though.
    Water is still really low. Rain and warmer temperatures seems to be "softening" the snow along the banks, but not really "melting" the snow and increasing the flow rate. It came up a couple inches, but not significantly enough to make much difference. It is starting to rain again now and it did not dip below freezing last night. The clear days we had gave us some daytime warmth, but the night froze a crust over the parking lot again and it took till almost noon yesterday to get back to liquid. That didn't really help the thaw much. Right now it is 39 degrees and raining lightly.
    Fish-wise, we have some chromers milling around at the mouth, but not enough water flow yet to get them into the river. They seem to move in on the tide, then panic when the water drops back out again. There are a few being caught, but people are looking to wade out into the estuary to strike at these fresh fish out there that aren't coming into the river yet.
    Counts from floaters range from a high of about 60 fish up in the river, to a dozen... Depends on how good people are at spotting the ones tucked up under the brush and logs. Either way, that is a pretty skinny number to be in the 13 miles between the bridge and the take-out. Good sign to have schools swirling around in the Ahrnklin Inlet where the Situk dumps into, but they just don't have the motivation yet to head upstream in the low and cold water. That could change with a single rain event. The weather forecast is calling for scattered rain showers today and tomorrow with highs around 43. Friday and Saturday it turns to "rain" (for those of you from Seattle who actually understand the difference between rain and showers...) with 20 knot winds. That may be the "event" we need...
    The fish are definitely in the estuary waiting, so we may have some movement this weekend. Bright ones are starting to appear and be caught.

Charterboat Operator

checked that site just before i posted the question, thanks Drifter

Just talked to the bio. down there. A few fish are passing the weir site down by the mouth.

One of the owners of Yakutat Lodge was in front of me 10 minutes ago. He said that it is slow yet some fish are coming in, still cold and fishermen are not thick yet either.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    One of the owners of Yakutat Lodge was in front of me 10 minutes ago. He said that it is slow yet some fish are coming in, still cold and fishermen are not thick yet either.
    I think we can deal with the lack of fishermen, but sure would like to see some rain, 5 more days!!!!

There aren't many fishermen because there are about 20 fish in the river. Some are comming in, but that might be two or three. We floated two days ago. The water level has been lower, and conditions worse. No fishing for us, we save them for paying clients.
    We got about 4 inches of wet snow yesterday. It rained a little today. The float's not bad and there's lots of good walking, on the positive side of things; however I wouldn't invite a friend here, to fish. PM me for more info as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    There aren't many fishermen because there are about 20 fish in the river. Some are comming in, but that might be two or three. We floated two days ago. The water level has been lower, and conditions worse. No fishing for us, we save them for paying clients.
    We got about 4 inches of wet snow yesterday. It rained a little today. The float's not bad and there's lots of good walking, on the positive side of things; however I wouldn't invite a friend here, to fish. PM me for more info as the season progresses.
    Capt.K- thanks for the update. I heard you guys got a bunch of snow from the situk shop report, a buddy and I are heading down ther in about a month...hopefully there should be lots of fish in there by then.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/