Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus ultra lite 44 magnum

Default Taurus ultra lite 44 magnum

I got an ultra lite titanium 44 magnum. I'm not recoil shy just would like to know whats the maximum powerful round I can use. If anyone has experience with this gun and hot loads please let me know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tnjquinones View Post
    I got an ultra lite titanium 44 magnum. I'm not recoil shy just would like to know whats the maximum powerful round I can use. If anyone has experience with this gun and hot loads please let me know. Thanks
    I have a 617T chamber is .357mag and the grip is so soft I haven't yet approached painful recoil. What is acceptable recoil is so often a personal factor it would be hard to advise on your situation. Hopefully you have access to various loads and a range to work your way up while remaining accurate.

My Taurus 44mag UL raging bull is good for 250gr.

Most manufacturers have downloads on thier websites that will tell you how much of a load each gun will handle.

Default Hmmm?

I would think that any gun chambered by the factory for any given round would be able to safely fire any round of that caliber that was within the SAAMMI specifications ? In other words any factory loaded round ! The real question is what will you be comfortable shooting in your new lightweight ? I would try some 240 grain JSP first ,then maybe some 300 grain hardcast ! Kevin
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and for me, the backpacker 300 grain hard cast bear loads just pound the ***** out of me. Considering that in a situation that I would actually need to fire 6 bear loads I don't think the recoil would even be noticed.

I have no problem the recoil shooting the standard 44 mag's.

I did have problems with the cylinder hanging when shooting 44 specials so it's headed back to Taurus for some work under their unlimited warranty plan..

If you have issues with the recoil you could always send it to Magna-port and get it ported.. They will do it for around $200.00 or at least in that area.

get buffalo bore's hard cast gas checked round. It's perfect for the airweight 44s, I carry it in my smith 329pd.

steve has some at alaska custom firearms at dimond and old seward hwy in anchorage.

Default Buffalo bore

I picked up the buffalo bore 255 grain low recoil ammo and it shoots great not really sure if its low recoil but it did not stick in the cylinder after shooting. I will try the 300 grain back packers this weekend.

I carry the 310 grain backbackers for bear protection. I have the taurus model 44 6" barrel thats ported and its not too bad. I wouldn't want to go around all day shooting them, but for me its mainly for bear protection.

Default Does anyone have this problem...

When I put rounds in the cylinder it is tough to close the cylinder. Really need to work it to make it close. Does anyone else have this problem?

When I put rounds in the cylinder it is tough to close the cylinder. Really need to work it to make it close. Does anyone else have this problem?
    You didn't say what make your mag was i.e. Smith etc.. I know my wifes Taurus 44 Mag Tracker will not take the heavy bear loads over 300 grain. They are just a bit to long..

I have the little 2" tracker (not Ti) and it won't fit 320 backpackers, but the 300's chamber and shoot fine.
    Nice Marmot.

Default Size of rounds

Its not the length because its any grain. 240 grain to 300 the cylinder just dosen't want to shut. Unless forced you can see the scrapping marks from forcing it on the back of the rounds. It will go just extremly tough to get it in. There is more than enough room length wise.

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    You didn't say what make your mag was i.e. Smith etc.. I know my wifes Taurus 44 Mag Tracker will not take the heavy bear loads over 300 grain. They are just a bit to long..
    That is strange cause I run 320 grn alaska backpackers through Taurus Tracker and the cylindar cycles fine. Hmmm maybe I got lucky or something.

Default Figured it out

I found that the firing pin is sticking out a very small amount so when I put the round in the cylinder in the chamber that lines up with the barrel it hits. If I put no round in it works fine.(meaning the cylinder will go right in) leaving me with 5 rounds in a 6 round pistol. I also don't know what will happen if I fire a round and if it will continue to hit. So its off to Taurus for repair before I even fired it. We will see what the turn around is. sent for repair date was 4-29-09 12:20 pm from Chimo guns. I wil keep you all posted when it returns. Hopefully its not to long as I was wanting to use it this summer.

I'm shooting Hornady Leverevolution 44mag 225gr FTX in mine,those things shoot like a dream and fit like a glove.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...4fa757c2cd5d80

Velocity/Energy....handgun info from Hornady site

Muzzle
    1410/993

50 yards
    1240/768

100 yards
    1111/617

Default Called Taurus Today.

Called Taurus today to see if my pistol arrived and they said it arrived May 4 and will be back within 3 weeks. So far so good.

Called Taurus today to see if my pistol arrived and they said it arrived May 4 and will be back within 3 weeks. So far so good.
    Your luckier than I am.. I just called and they logged mine into service on 5/1. Rep told me they are working on guns received on 3/23 so it's about 5-6 weeks before they even look at it.. So, I should expect to have the gun back in mid-end of July.

Default I was going to

suggest cleaning the blazes out of the cylinder. Shooting 44 Special for lower recoil/checking it out and then trying to load mags sometimes leads to a ring of smudge at the end of the special case.
    Mike
    (but seeing as how you figured it out all my deductive reasoning has been wasted! :-)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast