Thread: Mouth of the Lil Su

Default Mouth of the Lil Su

Is it feasable to enter the lil su from Cook Inlet. What is the depth, granted it vary depending on the tide, and how far can I go up river with a prop boat? Thanks

If you can navigate to the mouth through the mud then you can probably get to Burma Landing with a prop.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    If you can navigate to the mouth through the mud then you can probably get to Burma Landing with a prop.
    At high tide and when the water is high. If the water is normal, you will have a couple sand bars to walk it over. Even with a jet, there are a couple places that are a bit shallow. There are alot of "it depends". I have thought about doing it for 3 years and have never had confidence in the conditions to try it.

I have done this out of the Port of Anchorage boat launch to the Little Sue in my 24' jet boat. It is pretty tough to find the mouth of the little sue from the water. It all looks gray. When I did it at first I took a friend that had done it before and I took waypoints for where to turn and where the channel is.

We would leave Anchorage on a rising tide. I think we would get to the ramp a couple of hours after low tide and wait until the mud was covered and we could launch. The idea is that if you make a mistake and ground out on a rising tide, then you will refloat and not have to wait a tide cycle or longer. When the tide comes in there is quite a bit of water at least a couple of miles upstream where there is tidal influence.

The thing that I would worry about is if you boat is capable of handling upper Cook Inlet, and the rips and currents possible there. You may go into the Little Sue in one set of conditions, and then it may be way different when you come back out. It is a fun trip though for an evening trip out of Anchorage though.

Jim

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

just what everyone said . the mouth is hard to find if you have never done it and even after a few times its still kinda tricky. if you are running a short shaft you can make it to burma. shallowest spot is at the island just below the landing. if you are going to go check the weather and winds. id go early in the morning a couple hours before high tide and depending what you are running stay over night and run back the next day early in the morning before the afternoon winds pick up. it gets downright nasty out there so you need to be on your toes.

Thanks for the info. I'm running an 18' Hewes Craft semi-V hull with a ss Johnson, I think I will give it a shot.

To make it a practical trip, you'll need to go over and enter the mouth on a high tide, and then come back on a high tide the next day. Therein lies the potential problem. You can leave in bluebird conditions, and the next day a gale can blow in. My last trip back to Anchorage was the last one I plan to do because of that scenario

I make the trip several times a year in my 18' Lund. It can be done safely, but you Must follow the rules!
    1. Only travel on an incoming tide (bring a tide book with you.)
    2. Pay close attention to the weather. (bring a marine radio) If there is any mention of winds in Turnagain arm - forget it! That wind blows straight into the mouth of the L. Su.
    3. Mind your depth finder. There is a mud spit on the east side of the mouth that extends for a mile or so. (you ca be a mile from the shoreline and only be 5' deep.

I learned how to get over there by going a couple of times with someone who had done it before. I have taken friends across and asked them if they could see the mouth when we got there and they couldn't tell at all.
    It can be a very fun & rewarding trip but the rules must be followed! I'd just hate to see anyone get in trouble out there - it does happen.

I used to do it. Over on the high. Fish all day. Return on the high. The way guys get in trouble is by trying to run along the west shore. Stay offshore a good ways. I've pumped mud through a jet a mile off shore at high tide. If the chop is up you'll be bouncing off the bottom. Not good. We used to run until parallel with Fire Island and turn right. Never a problem other than weather. It can be nasty but the winds tend to lay down on the slack tide. When coming out of the river you'll need to time it right to get across on the slack. You don't want to run out on the low. You don't want to get back to the city dock to find the tide too low to pull the boat, either. That makes for a long day. For several years a couple of Sea Dorys were always in the river for silvers. They came across and up with props, no problem.The river is affected by the tide up to Ward Gay's old lodge or a little higher. There's good fishing below that but beware of the tide, especially if you sleep on the boat at anchor. Lifting off the hook and drifting downstream in total darkness isn't that much fun.

My most vivid memory? Coming down the Little Su on the incoming tide and meeting a bore tide. Not enough water to turn around and a wall of water coming at us. That wasn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post

My most vivid memory? Coming down the Little Su on the incoming tide and meeting a bore tide. Not enough water to turn around and a wall of water coming at us. That wasn't fun.
    Uhhhhh yeah, doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
    I'll bet it's the same feeling you get when going to step out of the river and looking up to see a grizz standing 20 feet away in the woods!!!!