Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best rifle in .325 WSM

A couple weeks age there was a 325 Kimber Montana at Great Northern Guns in Anchorage. They also had a Winchester shadow on the used gun rack in 325 WSM .
    I thought that Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage might have had one in the Browning A-bolt.
    It was a couple weeks back when I had a few minutes, money and no spousal supervision....

Default 325 wsm

If I could find a win. modle 70 shadow it would be the best buy for any bodies money in a 325 wsm.
    I have two of them and they both shoot under moa with 180 and 200 gr tsx bullets both rifles needed a trigger job to get them to shoot good. before these rifles I never cared for the model 70 but these guns at just over 7lb. with scope are hard to beat.

Does the Shadow come in a stainless version or just blued?

I have the .325 Kimber Montana. Very happy with it, custom barrel,custom chamber, custom trigger comes standard with it. I've worked up loads in tsx barnes .200 gr shooting under 1 1/4 moa at 2860 fps. H 4350. Great quality for the money. JMHO
    goldbelt

I have one i am willing to sell
    Winchester m-70 supershadow, Duracoated black (extra 250 dollars but is impossible to rust so well worth it!) Scope is a leupold 4.5-14 VX3 witht he boone and crocket reticle.
    I can give you a very reasonable price for a very reasonable rifle! Shoot me a line if anyones interested. 240-4685
    Steve

Sent you a PM Steve.

Default 325 Wsm

Has anyone used the 325 WSM for whitetail or varmit/predator? If so what kind of loads are recommended?

Sportsmans warehouse always has a few right in anchorage, along with Great northern guns. The kimber montana 325 is a great all around alaskan rifle.

How is bullet selection for the 300 WSM vs. the 325 WSM?

Talking 325 Cal is awesome

I bought the browning 325 and have the barrel that is mad in Japan not the USA Japans aremore accurate). I shoot the Nosler Accubond 200 grain I reload myself, and I can desimate an orange painted bowling ball at 500 yards (thats a lung shot people). Nothing I have shot has taken more then 1-2 steps. the bullets and brass are readily available ordering from Nosler. My load is 4250 powder at 72.2 grains, shooting just under 3000 fps. I sighted in dead on at 100 yards with a leupold 4.5 x 14 s DCP scope, and It is awesome. It weighs in loaded at around 9 pounds and has a limbsaver on the butt. I can shoot it all day long, carry it all day long, and is great for climbing up and down canyons. Other versions are great, but this was pretty inexpensive and has turned heads at how accurate it is. After shooting through a 8" douglas fr tree I found a perfect mushroomed bullet in the next tree. this is an awesome gun.

I saved up and bought the Kimber 8400 with select grade walnut stock and she is a great gun. Even though it has a bunch of battle scars, it is my favorite rifle. To me, they are beauty marks, not dings. Mine shoots factory win 220 grainers pretty well, however, the last time I bought ammo it was about 50$ a box in Eagle River. A more practical Alaska set-up would be the stainless/synthetic combo. Either way, I would recommend looking into a Kimber. If you order one, be sure to ask for the scope bases also. When I bought mine, the bases did not come with the rifle. I have only taken a few animals with my Kimber, but have been pleased with the results. I really hope the .325 does not go the way of 8mm Rem.

Just got back from moose hunting, took my third bull with my savage .325. Love the rifle, love the caliber. Had "issues" with one bullet, which I'll post later after I get the picture ready for upload.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

For me it would come down to what is the most reliable. To be reliable a rifle has to feed and eject a cartridge every time, have a good trigger that is not overly sensitive to dirt, grime, etc., a safety that works every time and is capable of shooting acceptable groups at the distance most of my shots will be taken. Probably more then one choice out there. I still think the older Winchesters had a great hunting trigger and I have used nothing I like better. I'll probably never own that caliber, but I do think it has good ballistics and is worth owning. I guess my vote is for a used Model 70 "Classic".

My pic would be a Winchester model 70 extreme. All stainless with a Bell and Carlson composit stock and fluted barrel. Another member on this forum (Stid) has done extensive testing and posted some fantastic reloading information on the 325wsm. I know he has taken goats, moose and grizzly bear with it. I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to get a link to the posts though. As far as ammunition goes, it seems that you may have better luck finding 325wsm at Sportsmans Warehouse (in Anchorage at least) than 338wm. There was 1 box of 338 on the shelf last week but there was plenty of 325wsm and 300wsm on the shelves. I like the Winchester XP3 bullets in the 325wsm. These new bullets are comparable to the old Failsafes but improved for better expansion and accuracy. They are available in a 200gr for the 325wsm.

Good luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Well, nice to see a good older thread continued.

1. Nosler is selling factory ammo for .325WSM (http://www.nosler.com/Ammunition/Trophy-Grade.aspx)... if you can find it.
    2. For anyone planning to shoot factory ammo in this caliber, maybe price the Winchester 200gr (most popular in Kimbers at least) first. ($$$) Ten boxes = new rifle... or so.
    3. For me it's accuracy that matters most. "Your experience may vary", as they say. I happened to buy mine from Murphy - and for me this rifle has been great. But, honestly in all the discussion there's been here over the years, I'm not convinced there's a bad choice in this caliber. Savage, Tikka, Sako, Winchester and Kimbers seem to be the consensus most accurate.
    4. My much more experienced friends who hunt Kodiak, all shoot .375s. Probly I will too. But for everything else, the .325WSM has worked out very well.

Best of luck. I wish I needed a new rifle...

I have three winchester model 70 in extreme weather, 30-06, 300 wsm, and 325 ,all are excellent and accurate guns.I would not hesistate to shoot a large bear with the 325 wsm,this caliber is gaining popularity slowly, but I feel as soon as federal makes some new factory loads it will expand the line even further .Major gun companies are still making rifles for it kimber, browning, savage and hopefully others will follow,regards Marc

Wow, a resurrected thread from 2006 including posts by Alaska Cub! Anyway my buddy in New Mexico uses his Savage 325WSM for all his elk hunting. Ammo is a little scarce and so are components. Once you find them, lay in a stash!

My son and I purchased 2 NIB Kimber Montana s last year, another of our "group" got an ABolt Stalker and I just acquired a New Haven Ultimate Shadow because I like the trigger better for "bad" conditions - All 4 shoot under 1" with their favorites - I have not had good luck with the WW Supreme 200 Accubonds in the Kimbers, the Sierra 220 SBT Gameking shoots 3/4" out of both with the same loads and I haven't had the time to experiment further as yet, the ABolt and Model 70 shoot the 200 Accubond very will in the WW Supreme and same story with more load testing - 325 WSM is very easy to shoot for me, after shooting 338 win mag for years it's a breath of fresh air in the recoil dept. - More bullets coming out all the time and Nosler is making custom brass in 325 WSM plus you can get Norma 300 WSM easily and just neck it up - One small "nuisance" I found with all the WSM cases while sizing is the need to lube the inside of the neck/shoulder, not as bad with the Norma or Nosler brass but with WW nickel you will actually pull the shoulder forward a bit if you are not careful - It is not a big deal to lube and then Q-tip clean after though - the 220 Sierra SBT works great on moose and Sierra told me they build the heavy for calibers from 8mm up with thicker jackets so assuming they are telling the truth or until I have a bad outcome I'll use that weight, the WW PP 220 has a good performance rep as well - I still have a man sized respect for the 338 win mag's abilities but I like the lighter weight rifles more and more as my teeth get longer ....

A couple of weeks back I got to shoot a friend's custom. Holy cow, he's got me thinking seriously now. Kimber action, MacMillan stocked and a fairly heavy 20" barrel and is topped with a Leupy 1.5x5 scope. It is just a little muzzleheavy and undoubtedly one of the best offhand guns I've ever shot, yet handles quick for cover shots. I have a short 375 H&H, but this thing is a whole lot more fun to shoot and weighs about a pound less. Hmmmmmm.

Well I guess Iíll toss my .05 cents in on this oneÖ
    I have been thinking of getting a 325wsm Upper for myAR-10. I have been looking at accuracy systems, http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/index.php riflesand while they are a bit on the high side, they do make a good rifle. At around10 pounds I donít think I will be lugging it around the country side all thatoften but, I like the black rifles and I like the idea of having a 325wsmsitting on my lower receiver. (325 is my first choice but I have been tossingthe idea of the 300 and 7mm around too, I have a couple years before I leaveAfghanistan to make up my mind.)
    Josh
    enjoying life in Afghanistan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast