Thread: Boat Repair... Pickup and Drop off.

Default Boat Repair... Pickup and Drop off.

My apologies for ranting here. But boat repair shops take notice.

Why are you only open M-F, 9-5 for boat drop off and pickup.

News flash, if I had M-F 9-5 free, I wouldn't have the resources to pay you guys 3 grand to tweak my boat with all those "extras".

Boat repair shops should be open Sat, Sun 9-5 and Mon - Fri 4-10.

It's like the Bush Company only being open M-F 9-5... doesn't make sense... Follow the money.

The folks with my boat right now would have had their $$ Monday with some after work hours. Instead, I'm at work earning $ and my boat is tying up space in your yard.

Not to stir the pot but boat shop owners and workers have lives outside of work, too. The norm for many businesses is 9-5. I've found myself leaving early to get some business done, it's just the way it is. Adapt and overcome...and leave work early.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Not everyone can

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Not to stir the pot but boat shop owners and workers have lives outside of work, too. The norm for many businesses is 9-5. I've found myself leaving early to get some business done, it's just the way it is. Adapt and overcome...and leave work early.
    It would be nice but really, if you cater to the outdoors crowd you should know that you need to make yourself available on their schedule. That just makes buisness sense. Of course if you think your the only game in town and don't have to be flexible like that then you will miss out on a lot of customers. I personally patronize places that WANT my buisness.

Same with Doctor's and Dentist's offices...they have some nerve expecting me to take time out of my busy work day to visit them....

If I had a boat, I'd probly think different, but it just is what it is.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I must say I understand both sides of the story, but I respect a man for putting his family first. If they can make it as a business then more power to them. What that saying about not seeing the statement "I wish I worked harder, " printed on a headstone?

You certainly can go elsewhere if you think someone else provides a better service.

Quote Originally Posted by mhpilot View Post
    My apologies for ranting here. But boat repair shops take notice.

Why are you only open M-F, 9-5 for boat drop off and pickup.

News flash, if I had M-F 9-5 free, I wouldn't have the resources to pay you guys 3 grand to tweak my boat with all those "extras".

Boat repair shops should be open Sat, Sun 9-5 and Mon - Fri 4-10.

It's like the Bush Company only being open M-F 9-5... doesn't make sense... Follow the money.

The folks with my boat right now would have had their $$ Monday with some after work hours. Instead, I'm at work earning $ and my boat is tying up space in your yard.

mhpilot,

I fell your frustration, but I have to ask--have you lived in Alaska long? If so, you've probably realized by now that the businessman is always right, not the customer!! It's one of the few faults with this wonderful place we live. As for taking your business elsewhere, there often ISN'T elsewhere up here, especially in smaller towns. Just gotta deal with the quirks of whoever the guy is that provides a particular service in your town. If you want more choice, you can always go where there's more businesses--but there's also more people there!!

I see both sides of the argument, the average biz closes at 5:00, those will never see a percentage of people that do not have flexible schedules. And most of us are in that percentage. Many business that are large enough have the extended hours, they know that they will not exist without being accomodating. Marine businesses in Alaska have a short opportunity to catch the flurry of boating activity, you can't drive many boats on the roads in the winter and most people only mess with their boat in the summer. It is a 'niche' market in Alaska, and maybe not easy to maintain a good rep if there are only a few shops like them.
    It's the shop owner's gamble, if he thinks he can survive pissing off customers or feels life is more of a priority, his choice and our choice to go where we want.

Further more: Personally, I own two businesses and have a day job. One business, I accomodate working class hours, it fits the niche perfectly. The other business, the schedule is held to my ideal's, even after customers tried petitioning it to be open longer!

I live in Soldotna, and I know of at least one boat shop that is open until 6, and I am pretty sure there is atleast one other that is also. But for 100 plus dollars per hour, I would do everything I could possibly do to fix the problem myself. I know some people are more natural mechanics than others, but I believe that I can fix most anything wrong with my boat, it just may take a little longer than a certified mechanic. However, I do agree with the original poster, for those who can't get away from work from 9-5, it would help if the boat shops, along with some other businesses could stay open an extra hour at least one day a week, or open up for a little bit on a Saturday.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default rule of "fs"

flies or floats? rent it!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

'Tis not true for everybody. I know one of the best boat shops in town (Soldotna/Kenai) is open 7 days a week and will accept drop offs 24/7 with a phone call notice and will arrange the pickup as late as 10pm if needed. Of course his residence is about 50 yards from the shop, so that makes it easy to do.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

As many people as there probably are that complain to boat shops about how difficult it is for them to find time to bring in their boat during 9-5, I'm sure the business realizes that it would be easier on the customer if they had extended hours. So I'm guessing the business has taken that into consideration and have made their choice. Guess they'd need to maybe open 730 and close at 530 so the customer could drop their boat off on their way to work and then pick their boat up on their way back home.