Thread: black bear on the kenai

Default black bear on the kenai

I have seen two bears this week down here and both times didn't have my gun. Going back out tomorrow in hopes of getting first one of the year

What parts of the kenai have you been seeking them?

I seen one driveing home from coopper landing and one in kasilof

Default Black Bear

I do know ADFG Soldotna sealed a big blackie the other day. Skull over 18"! And fur to die for. Was an old boar out early, had worn down and some missing teeth.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hapkidoboy View Post
    I'm driving down tomorrow morning... Still seeing bears? I'm trying to decide if I should bring a rifle. Incidentally, is it fundamentally wrong to shoot a blackie with a .223?
    nope!!!!! grab a good 55 grain Ballistic tip and dang .. oyur good to go. they have small bones, thin skin, and easy to kill..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default hey thanks for the update

saw grizzum tracks today near knik river crossing....incidentally, i also saw newborn moose calf tracks within a 1/4 mile of each other....this is the same bear we think we have been seeing sign of for the last 6 years....we never have seen him, really thick brush and a huge area.... mostly we've seen his tracks along the edge of the palmer gravel pits next to the knik/matanuska river delta, but have seen the same tracks following late run silvers up an unnamed creek that crosses thru the area 5 or 6 foot miles away...that area is just endless seems like, its our favorite place to hunt ducks on opening day.

Thumbs up bear bullits

No prob if you shoot him through both lungs. Gurgle-gurgrrrrle and its over.

On the Kenai, I hunt high on south facing slopes with fresh "baby" green grass...and in May.

Dennis
    AK TAGS