Thread: anybody been out of whittier yet?

Default anybody been out of whittier yet?

was thinking about taking the boat down there for a spin this weekend if the weather is nice. are the new ramps open? have they cleared out the parking area, and if not, can you park in front of the harbor? thanks!

Thinking of going opening day of shrimping season

Prince william sound
    400 am akdt wed apr 8 2009

.today...nw wind to 15 kt. Seas 2 ft.
    .tonight...variable wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.
    .thu...se wind increasing to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft. Snow
    showers.
    .thu night...e wind 40 kt. Seas 9 ft.
    .fri...e wind 20 kt. Seas 5 ft.
    .sat...ne wind 25 kt. Seas 5 ft.
    .sun...e wind 15 kt. Seas 2 ft.

passage canal
    400 am akdt wed apr 8 2009

.today...w wind 15 kt. Gusts to 25 kt this morning. Seas 2 ft.
    .tonight...variable wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.
    .thu...e wind 15 kt. Seas 2 ft. Rain and snow.
    .thu night...e wind 25 kt. Seas 4 ft.
    .fri...e wind 20 kt. Seas 3 ft.
    .sat...e wind 15 kt. Seas 2 ft.
    .sun...variable wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It think it begins the 15th, or Wednesday of next week. Hope you have good weather.

I have....the new launch ramp (East) was being used when I was there on Sunday. Not sure if it is officially open though (my boat is in the harbor). Call the harbormaster about parking. 907 472 2337 ext 110 or 115.

My husband launched out of there on Sunday said the new ramps are open and ice free.

Default I was out there

Launched friday night and came back sunday. Ramps were open, ice free, and I parked in front of the harbor masters office with no problems (although this is at your own risk, I didn't ask I just launched and went for it.) Was beautiful. Got stuck on one tide so I kayaked to the cabin we rented and hung out for a while and went back for the boat a bit later, hiking is hard without snowshoes, but doable. Overall, a great weekend.

Chris

Default Blizzard Conditions 4-11-09

We have blizzard conditions and the ramps in Whittier are not good. Check with the harbor office for a 1st hand update, make sure you bring traction devices, studded tires and have chains available. The Public Works in Whittier is not open to do snow removal on Sat. and Sun. you use the ramps at your own risk until the snow melts. Don't forget to get a parking permit at harbor office or you can get a ticket from the City. Staff at the harbor is paying closer attention since boating season is almost upon us. The office hours are 8a to 5p Phone # 907-472-2327 ext.115.

Default poor weather on saturday...

went and took a chance hoping to beat the weather yesterday. got stuck in portage valley, an avalance came down just before we got there. when we got to whittier it was severly snowing. about a foot of snow on the ramp so launching was a no-go. i was thinking of taking the boat off the trailer and sliding it down the ramp to launch- just kidding! god will summer ever get here?