Thread: Can you ID this muzzle loader?

Default Can you ID this muzzle loader?

Not much info to go on, so this is a long shot. The lock is engraved with the word (name?) "BORMANNAHORLA". A Google search for that word came back with zero results. The hammer is missing. Not sure what may or may not be present for the rest of the lock parts. The barrel has a very good machining job that took it from a huge octagon down to the profile in the pictures below. The bore is .45 caliber with a very deep "star-like" cut rifling.

The man who would have known the history of this rifle died last month and his widow doesn't know anything about this old rifle. So this is just a wild shot in the dark to see if anyone might have any little tid-bit of info about this name or rifle.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JOAT; 08-27-2009 at 10:27.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Here is a close up of the lock.
    Last edited by JOAT; 08-27-2009 at 10:27.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Rifle

I can't identify the rifle builder. The lock appears to have originally been a flintlock converted to percussion, possibly of German origins. The stock, butt plate, trigger guard and nose cap all appear to be what is commonly referred to as the plains rifle style. I would further speculate that this is a rifle made up of parts avaiable to some builder or a gun that the original lock was lost and replaced with this one. The style of the lock does not match the rest of the rifle.

That is one strange rifle! I am a blackpowder fan, but that one has me stumped!

Well, thanks for taking a peek. Since the engraved name turned up zip for an internet search, I didn't think that I'd have much luck in narrowing down any details. Had to give it a try though. Not exactly sure what she's going to do with it. She's been selling quite a few items to try and cover the bills, but I don't see that an incomplete and unknown rifle like this is going to fetch her any cash. I wish the guy would have shared the story on this gun as it could be a lost piece of history that's been sitting back in the closet for the last 3 or 4 decades. Who knows.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!