Thread: Building

Default Building

So I bought 40 acres out past big lake and want to put a 20x24 (or maybe a little bigger) log cabin on it. I am looking for any and all advice.
    Kit or no Kit? (was looking at the Northern Log and Lumber kits)
    I have a limited amount of free time so building it myself would be a chore. Anyone know a builder for hire? Was planning to use driven 6" well casing pilings with welded brackets for the foundation. 6' below grade to give a 7 foot crawlspace once the pressure treated skirting is in. Plan on using petromat under packed D1 for the floor in the crawlspace. Then 2x12 over three 24' gluelams (or equivalent) for the first floor or base of the cabin.

But I am open to any other plans too - including different kits/builders. This is a ways out of Big Lake and a cement truck would have a hard time. Might consider block foundation if not too expensive. Metal roof or no metal roof. Dormers for the loft bedrooms or not? 2x12s for the vaulted rafters for more insulation or just 2x8?

I want to use money wisely but want the best I can.

Anyone have any ideas or names?

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverDriver View Post
    So I bought 40 acres out past big lake and want to put a 20x24 (or maybe a little bigger) log cabin on it. I am looking for any and all advice.
    Kit or no Kit? (was looking at the Northern Log and Lumber kits)
    I have a limited amount of free time so building it myself would be a chore. Anyone know a builder for hire? Was planning to use driven 6" well casing pilings with welded brackets for the foundation. 6' below grade to give a 7 foot crawlspace once the pressure treated skirting is in. Plan on using petromat under packed D1 for the floor in the crawlspace. Then 2x12 over three 24' gluelams (or equivalent) for the first floor or base of the cabin.

But I am open to any other plans too - including different kits/builders. This is a ways out of Big Lake and a cement truck would have a hard time. Might consider block foundation if not too expensive. Metal roof or no metal roof. Dormers for the loft bedrooms or not? 2x12s for the vaulted rafters for more insulation or just 2x8?

I want to use money wisely but want the best I can.

Anyone have any ideas or names?

There are a few "quality" builders out there. How would you like to lay your head down on your pillow every night and think, Hmmmmm this was built by the lowest biddder? If you would like to PM me with a phone number i can give you a few suggestions. I am in the business but commerical now but was Residental for aboout 10 years up here. Give me a shout.. I have built many cabins and built 1 or 2 commerical properties here in town
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight