Thread: 2004 Hewescraft

Default 2004 Hewescraft

I'm lookin at buying a 2004 26' Hewescraft Alaskan extended cab with twin Yamaha 115hp outboards. It is has low hrs, & in exellent shape. What steps should I take to insure the boat is as good as it appears to be.

Default Have a qualified dealer look at it.

I would spend the money to have a dealer check all the systems and they should also be able to read the hours on the engines.
    They should check any plumbing systems that might be on board also.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Smile go for a ride...

I have that boat in a 2001 model. You need to verify engine hours, look at the maint. records for oil and fuel filter changes, check all exposed hoses and wiring for wear areas, ask if water pumps, thermostats and plugs have been changed, look the hull over good as it sits on the trailer, look the trailer and tires over, ask when the trailer bearings were replaced and check to make sure all electrical features and other equipment is working. Ask if it has been in the shop for any repairs. If it is financed a survey may be required. After all that go for boat ride that lasts several hours and dream of flat water, blue sky and lots of big fish! Oh yeah, change out your trailer bearings every year with good American made bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Oh yeah, change out your trailer bearings every year with good American made bearings.
    Sorry, here we go off topic, but... You really change your bearings every year? I grease mine several times per year and keep them packed full of grease to keep the water out, and they seem to last fine for many years.

Jim

Default Save your money on the trailer bearings

IMHO There really is no need to change out the bearings every year - especially if your buying quality bearings. Just make sure you run them with bearing buddys and keep them packed with grease.
    I used to work behind the counter at a local trailer supply place and the real problems start about the 3rd year when someone fails to clean and inspect the bearings and hubs. I would recommend you always check your spare trailer tire each trip.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default A couple more things to check...

You should check the steering and shift linkages. Back at the motors, they should have little or no play, and also up where they connect to the steering wheel (depends on if they are hydraulic..), and at the shift levers. Shifting should be crisp and sudden, no grinding or slop. Also, remover access plates in cabin and rear deck and look in the bilge. Shouldn't be any sign of corrosion (oxidation is not a problem and will be expected), or sign that water sat in there for a long time. Look the welds over while you are at it, shouldn't be any cracks or voids. You can inspect the front of the bilge from the bow anchor well. Also inspect the transom welds.

Last think I can think of that wasn't already covered is to inspect the lower unit lube in the outboards. It should be brown and clear, not milky which indicates water leakage, or dark and strong smelling indicating too long since a change.

Hope that helps, I love my Hewes 260 Alaskan!

Default Hewes 260 AK

Thanks for all the info, this boat looks like it is going to work out great.

Default Don't wait

This time of year, if you want a boat, don't wait to buy. I had a boat bought out from under me when I was at the bank getting a cashiers check. Went back to the owner, and he sold it within an hour after I said I would buy it. Now, I had some choice words for him, but what can you do, it was his boat. Haven't been that mad since. It is a sick feeling to want a boat, find one, decide to buy it, and miss out. I agree you need to do your homework, but don't wait too long.

Unhappy goofed...

I meant to say every other year on the bearings. I lost a bearing in 2007 when I was comming back from Seward. I ended up buying a new axle before it was over due to scoring the spindle. So I will change them every other year fromm now on. Probably don't need to, but I do from now on. Did you buy the boat?

Default I hope you bought the boat...

But keep checking everything out. One more thing I thought of was the braking system on the trailer. I bought a used boat that had been sitting for a few years, and the surge brakes locked up going downhill on a gravel road, and it was a 3,000 lb boat + trailer; I really couldn't tell they were locked up until I looked in the side mirror and saw a couple of the wheels smoking. Lost all four bearings, brakes, drums. So particularly check out surge brakes, as most boat trailers have and I know the ones Hewes usually supplies with their boats have.

Default Hewes 260 AK

Boat will be in the driveway by April 24th.

Good point about the surge brakes, I'll check those out. Based on my initial inspection things are lookin up so far. It sounds like Whittier will be the place to put in to check it out. Anybody been that way this (early) season?

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Sorry, here we go off topic, but... You really change your bearings every year? I grease mine several times per year and keep them packed full of grease to keep the water out, and they seem to last fine for many years.

Jim
    What trailer do you have?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Trailer

It's an EZloader tandem axle.