Thread: Nowitna/ Little Mud River

Default Nowitna/ Little Mud River

Does anyone have experience on taking a boat up the Nowitna & little Mud River off the Yukon. I'm looking at this route to fill the DM802 tag. Any advice would be helpfull.

The nowitna is doable. The mud is very small, windy(snakey), and you can't get most river boats up it very far.
    There is a large round lake part way up the mud valley that is large enough to take a cub on floats into, maybe a 185. There is a USF&W Service cabin on that lake, or there used to be. The area around the lake has several different age burns around it. I've seen moose in there in the winter back in the 90's. I bet if you got dropped into that lake you'd have the country to yourself.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the info. I've talked to both the Galena & Fairbanks Biologist they say the Nowitna is a river you can get up. But the little mud river can be hit & miss due to water levels. Do you know anyone who has gone up either of those rivers.

Default little mud

If you try to go up the little mud for a ways my suggestion is to bring a chainsaw. I have only flown over it a couple of times in the past year and never floated it but from the air it looks like there was a few log jams and sweepers. The only reason I paid attention to the Little mud is I was thinking of floating it a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    If you try to go up the little mud for a ways my suggestion is to bring a chainsaw. I have only flown over it a couple of times in the past year and never floated it but from the air it looks like there was a few log jams and sweepers. The only reason I paid attention to the Little mud is I was thinking of floating it a couple of years ago.
    The Nowitna is a typical interior river and relatively easy to run. Pretty straight forward the few times I was up there.

What raven said. Unless water is very low, Nowitna is OK. It does become gravel and rocks once you get up around the Sulatna.
    I have personally been up the Nowitna to about the Sulatna many times. Know plenty of folks who have gone farther. I don't know anyone who has been up the mud cuz you can't get up it. It's just too small. Like akhunter said, it ain't even a good float river.
    I'll be happy to give you tips on places to get off the beaten path so to speak, tho I suspect others know those places too. I would offer GPS coords, but then I would end up on the favored members ignore list!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Novi

With a prop, there are a couple spots on the Novi that pose problems. Depending on water depth, often you can't get above the Sulatna with a prop. The straight stretch above it isn't straight.
    I've tried the Mud. Man it was tough, and I was in a little boat. Lots of pulling, sweating, and walking. The banks, at least as far as I got were pretty steep, with big spruce and mature timber. Not much to find for meadows. I never made it far, thank goodness.

Default Novi

How about a Alaska Jet Ranger 14' or so do you think that if we took one of those along we could shoot up the little mud a bit?
    Will

Default Anything may be possible

That river lives up to its name. It is muddy. Getting in, light, compared to getting out heavy? How far can you drag a boat with a moose through knee deep mud, and if you had to portage the meat or gear, there was no defined trail that I could ever find.
    Not sure what your boat is exactly, but I just ran into one submerged mud pile after another with mine. I am hard headed, so tried it twice, once with a flat bottom skiff/jet, and once with a small skiff/prop that I could drag. I am thinking a Jeannie in a bottle would work lots better. If I am ever going to make it I'll need that Jeannie cause none of my partners are going to have a go of it again. In fact, they said something about bodily injury if I tried.
    I have also flown over that area, and even though I think there would be moose (cause moose are everywhere, mostly), they would be difficult to hunt if you got up there due to old growth timber, tall grass, and thick brush along the river bank.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

sounds like a go devil might come in handy here? surface drive on the back of a canoe. canoe would be easier to drag than a jon or inflatible. hopefully minimal .

Default Little Mud

So...those of you that went up the little mud, how many river miles did you go?

Default Little Mud

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbrad View Post
    So...those of you that went up the little mud, how many river miles did you go?
    Went approximately 6 river miles in 2007 in a 20' (20' x 54") Gatortrax boat (made for running mud) with a Mudbuddy 42 hp Sport motor. Fun times (NOT), finally turned around when it got so narrow, twisted and full of log jams that it wasn't fun anymore. Saw one small bull (about 2 minutes after my buddy remarked, "There are NO moose in here anywhere.") about 5 miles in.

No one else was running there that year due to low water and filling their jets up with mud.