Thread: Wind data for coastal rivers?

Default Wind data for coastal rivers?

Anyone know where I could find climate data - monthly average wind strengths in particular - for Alaska coastal rivers?

I found some average data on wind resource sites (below), but no season average info.

http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/i...ak_50m_800.jpg

Thanks.

Not specific to rivers, but when planning float trips, I go to www.wunderground.com and do the "Trip Planner" in the upper right. Put in the name of a nearby village and you get tons of info. You can choose the dates, for example, Noatak (village) Aug 20-28. Then it will give me about 10 years worth of weather averages on temps, wind, rain, etc.. This makes it easy to see a historical average for an area and more importantly, for the exact timing of your trip. A useful tool no doubt, but not specific to rivers unfortunately. But there are many, many villages near the rivers most folks float.

Below is a link to a "Trip Planner" for Noatak Sept 10-17 as an example...

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...atename=Alaska

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up Good historical climate info...

I found a village at the mouth - like you said many years' worth of temps, pressure, precip and wind data - including gusts. Very helpful.
    Thanks, Dan.