Thread: 3 legged blackie

Question 3 legged blackie

OK heres one for all guys...and gals. Last year my hubby shot a black bear w/ only 3 legs. His back right leg was cut off above the knee. It was a very smooth and clean cut. Straight across. It looked like a doctor did it with a knife. He was about 2 years old and skinny. Any ideas what happened to this fella? If it was a snare, would it be cut straight across? I have a picture of it but didnt want to offend anyone by posting it.
    Would welcome any of your ideas.

Daughterbear

Possibly hit by an auto.

Thats what I first thought. But if a vet fixed his leg then wouldnt Fish & Game tag him? He had no tag or collar.

Could a Wolf trap have done it, when it was one year old, and it healed over.....?????

Maybe he was born that way. I lost mine on a motorcycle but I know plenty of people that were born missing a limb. Please show a pic. If you can.

Default 3 legged blackie

Show the pic. Its just game taken in the field.

Wink picture

OK I will hunt down the picture. Give me a few hours then I will post it.

Im not sure what im doing . I hope it worked. Heres your pictures. Welcome any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The meat looking part is actually bone. Im stumped. The Fish & Game says snare. But me and hubby say no way. There is no jagged edges and it is straight across.

Default Bear

Maybe a birth defect just born that way. Was there any scare tissue or any sign of a wounds?

Yes there was tissue. Going about a inch or so up all the way around the stump. It was like a large hard white tendon was growing around it, but it was all still smooth. The was no other wounds or scars. No jagged edges anywhere. I wish now I took it into my vet so he could look at it.
    Good idea on the birth defect...but would it be straight across?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

small game snare with the slider on it.. only ever gets tighter never looser.. slowly cut through. like a tourniquet. no blood loss, lower leg atrophied and was lost .. to infection? looks like a snare cut to me. slowly healing over.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince is right. I have seen people remove puppy's tail by wrapping a rubber band around it tightly. Eventualy it makes a clean cut with no bleeding and heals over.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Vince is right. I have seen people remove puppy's tail by wrapping a rubber band around it tightly. Eventualy it makes a clean cut with no bleeding and heals over.
    puppy tails aside calves and ram lambs used to have the same problem... growing up with out... ER.. their man hoods....that little 1/4 inch diameter rubber band stretched a LOOOONG way some times..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    small game snare with the slider on it.. only ever gets tighter never looser.. slowly cut through. like a tourniquet. no blood loss, lower leg atrophied and was lost .. to infection? looks like a snare cut to me. slowly healing over.
    Yes, Thats what another member explained to me. She said she has seen it before. Poor lil guy. He must have been very young when it happened.
    Thanks for the info all. I was stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by daughterbear View Post
    Yes, Thats what another member explained to me. She said she has seen it before. Poor lil guy. He must have been very young when it happened.
    Thanks for the info all. I was stumped.
    pardon the pun but so was the bear...

meet on face book here

Haha very good vince....very good

Yep, I realized right after I made the post you guys would have fun with that ;)
    If its tourist season.....Can we shoot em??
    Simple pleasures for simple minds