Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivers West Gear

Default Rivers West Gear

Anybody out there use the Rivers West jacket and pants? I've tried a few of the synthetic clothing types (cabela's microtex etc) that claim to be just as quiet as fleece or wool, but I haven't found any to be as quiet as they've claimed. Or if they are quiet, they aren't tough enough to keep out the devil's club pokers. I hunt primarily deer in the brushy forests in SE, and having silent clothing is CRUCIAL. If anybody has tried this gear, or has a reccomendation for something similar and quiet, please let me know-

Default gear

My brother and i both bought a set of camo silent rain gear this year.
    I got the hush hide and he got the madd dog and both were very quiet (I thought) and both proved to be waterproof for at least 8 hours of hevy rain we were in. Also My brother sweats pretty good and he didn't seem to get alot of perspiration build up so his must breath at least a little.
    havn't used either one really extensivley, but they have worked great so far. I don't think I would put a good pair of rain gear through the devils club even if I thought they could take it. I might be tempted to put something over the top like camo jeans and let them get wet if i knew I would be into alot of clubs. Those things ruined my last pair of rain pants and they were sweet, made by coleman (really cheap) very light and packable and quiet but they don't make them anymore. Got em at costco a long time ago.
    Justin
    Justin

Default Rivers West Pants

I have a pair and they're 100% waterproof. Also the pair I have are not insulated but don't let that be of concern because they are very warm. In fact I switched out of them when it looked like it was not going to rain back into a pair of ol-cabelas, broke-in, fleece to stay comfortable. They (rivers west) work period.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Anybody out there use the Rivers West jacket and pants? I've tried a few of the synthetic clothing types (cabela's microtex etc) that claim to be just as quiet as fleece or wool, but I haven't found any to be as quiet as they've claimed. Or if they are quiet, they aren't tough enough to keep out the devil's club pokers. I hunt primarily deer in the brushy forests in SE, and having silent clothing is CRUCIAL. If anybody has tried this gear, or has a reccomendation for something similar and quiet, please let me know-

I have River's West gear. I have the ambush jacket. River's West is very top notch gear, the best out there really. The only thing I have had a problem with and I think it was just sort of a fluke was the zipped pulled out. I contacted them, and without a hassle they sent me a prepaid postage package to send the jacket back. They promptly fixed my jacket and sent it back to me free of charge. The customer service was impeccable and I haven't had a problem with the zipper since then. The gear itself is really made for the hunting/fishing conditions of Alaska. It's extremely well made, silent, very comfortable, wind/rain proof. I wouldn't choose any other company right now for top notch hunting gear. It will really make you feel protected, and it's very thick and best of all stalking calibur quiet.
    Marc Theiler

I have last years Rivers West jacket and I love it but there are a few downsides for my use.

the jacket is %100 waterproof and pretty quiet, but I find my jacket uncomfortable at times. The uncomfortable feeling leaves me squirming more and more when I am trying to make a quiet and motionless stand. The front of the jacket zips up to well above my chin. If hood is not over my head and the front of the jacket covering my face it continually pokes at my lower jaw. Its something I have to live with. This does offer great face protection in cold conditions, but when I am blowing my lungs out on a distress call it gets in the way.

Keep in mind the newer models are of a different design and look much more comfortable. But I got a screaming deal on my last years model at Sportsmans.

The Rivers West gear does not breathe, at all. Whenever I am hiking or working hard I sweat non stop. But this jacket is super warm even in cold conditions. I went on a day trip a few weeks ago and the temps were around 20*F not including the windchill. With only one layer on underneith I was toasty warm for the entire day. I wouldnt hesitate to wear this jacket in the "typical" frigid weather we see here in southcentral.

Overall I really like this jacket, but its use does have a place and time. I like the jacket when I do not have to travel long distances and I sit at a stand for long periods of times. If I am hiking most of the day I will not wear this jacket. I am assuming the pants will be no different.

My wife bought a set of it this year. She was warm in it, sometimes too warm she said. She's heading back out to take another shot at caribou tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see what she says about it after this trip.

I have the lighter weight LAW pants and coat. The cut of the coat sucks and I'm not really comfortable in it. However, I am a round guy and fat so that's more my issue than the coats.

Now, the pants are another story. These things fit like my favorite pair of blue jeans and they are very water proof. I couldn't believe how dry I stayed in them..even pushing through rain drenched grass up to my waste.

I only have two issues with them. They will wick water up the cuffs and up into the lower legs. No big deal, but it can get a little annoying. The second issue is that if you are hunting in above freezing rain all day, then it clears up at night and freezes you are screwed. They freeze SOLID and are really tough to get on. The fleece holds a bunch of water and when it freezes it's a mess.

I give them a hearty thumbs up and they will be the only pants I take with me hunting next year. I wear them rain or shine with or without longjohns under them.

Default old vs. new

how do they compare to helly hansen impertech? does anyone have both?

I have impertech pants. I cannot compare impertech pants vs Rivers West pants or the same in jackets either, but I can compare the material. It may not be worth much but I hope it helps.

Seriously, I think they each have their own purpose. The Impertech is strictly rain gear. I love the stretchable material of the impertech but they are nothing more than a waterproof shell. There is not much protection from the cold. I bought these pants because I have had problems ripping the crotch out of all my other rain pants. After a hard summers use there are no tears or rips to speak of. I cannot say that for my other rain pants. Top notch set of rain pants, but no where near cold weather gear.

The Rivers West gear is more of an insulated jacket and pant setup. I know they are not truly insulated but the jacket is **** warm. The Rivers West material is much more quiet in my opinion, and seems to be much more durable. Rivers West offers a 10 year or 10000 mile warranty too. The Rivers West material is simply amazing, and the only way they can improve is if they made is %100 waterproof %100 of the time and still have the jacket breathe.

Default rivers west vs. hh

If you are sheep hunting or any climbing/hiking hard hunting, take the hh. If you are not exerting quite so much the rivers west are nice. I have both and the rivers west is everything they say it is but I do alot of walking normally and its not made for that in my opinion. I take the hh and like I said I have both. Actually I am still trying out my marmot precip pants and like them alot though I don't think they will have a long lifespan.

Cool stalker model

If you are very active or just tend to overheat easily, you should probably look at the stalker series from River's West. They have A LOT of built in ventilation to solve this very issue. I have only worn the various products around a store, but the difference is noticeable even 15 minutes at a time in a much too warm environment (the store) as it is.

As soon as funds permit, the stalker series is the set I will buy and then I may get the ranger series at a later date for late season hunts.

Default stalker model

That's what I own. The other stuff wouldn't be very prudent for sheep hunting would it???? And again its way too hot for sheep or goat hunting or even moose depending how you hunt. Maybe late late season stuff or if you are not covering much ground. I have put a few miles on mine and its great stuff depending on how you hunt. Maybe I just overheat easily.

Quote Originally Posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    My wife bought a set of it this year. She was warm in it, sometimes too warm she said. She's heading back out to take another shot at caribou tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see what she says about it after this trip.
    Just talked to my wife on the cell phone, she is just ending her first day of caribou hunting around Lake Louise, she's really liking the Rivers West for the weather she is in right now.

Default rivers west beware

Warning about the Rivers West... I bought two jackects this spring at the Sportsman Warehouse, one for me and one for my wife. I paid alot for the two jackets, but heard they were good jackets. I just want everyone to know this is only my experience with the Rivers West product. I used it on a fishing trip in June that had rain off and on for three days. The jacket seemed to shed the water and keep me dry in the cloud bursts, I thought great, nice jackets. The following week we were in the PW Sound and experienced a steady rain all day for the whole week. The jackets seemed to shed the waterpretty good and then at some point they just start soaking it up and seeping through the material (all over). This happened to my wife's and mine. The fabric/material soaked up the water and acted like a sponge leaving us totally wet for days. In fact, the last day out we actually took the jackets off and poked holes in a trash bags to keep us somwhat dry. Upon returning from the trip I returned the jackets to Sportsmans Warehouse (they were very easy to work with) In exchange, I got the Helly Hanson Impratechs' and they have been outstanding! I used mine on my sheep hunt and moose hunt this fall and performed great. Just be careful when buying & using Rivers West jackets, they may leave you wet...

Default rivers west beware

Warning about the Rivers West... I bought two jackects this spring at the Sportsman Warehouse, one for me and one for my wife. I paid alot for the two jackets, but heard they were good jackets. I just want everyone to know this is only my experience with the Rivers West product. I used it on a fishing trip in June that had rain off and on for three days. The jacket seemed to shed the water and keep me dry in the cloud bursts, I thought great, nice jackets. The following week we were in the PW Sound and experienced a steady rain all day for the whole week. The jackets seemed to shed the waterpretty good and then at some point they just start soaking it up and seeping through the material (all over). This happened to my wife's and mine. The fabric/material soaked up the water and acted like a sponge leaving us totally wet for days. In fact, the last day out we actually took the jackets off and poked holes in a trash bags to keep us somwhat dry. Upon returning from the trip I returned the jackets to Sportsmans Warehouse (they were very easy to work with) In exchange, I got the Helly Hanson Impratechs' and they have been outstanding! I used mine on my sheep hunt and moose hunt this fall and performed great. Just be careful when buying & using Rivers West jackets, they may leave you wet...

Thats interesting, but I am sorry to hear about the bum deal. At any point in time were these jackets run through a washing machine? I am not saying it was your doing, but I am just curious if the washing machine will do that to these jackets.

The waterproof material has held up very well for me. On a few camping trips I went on we received steady downfall all day on a few of our trips. Each time I stood out in the rain all day fishing without any leaks. Thats just my experience though.

Default Rivers West

No, I just hung them on a hanger to dry out from the first trip to the PWS trip. All I know is I'm glad I put them to the test before I wore the RW jackets up sheep hunting because we got pounded with rain and snow. The manager seemed surprised at Sportsmans when I returned them. I assured them we got wet, very wet in the jackets. The gladly exchanged the jackets

Didn't happen with mine. I've washed them several times and have warn them in some pretty crappy weather since my moose hunt and they still haven't leaked. ???

Default Ambush Jacket

I purchased the ambush jacket and matching ants for a moose hunt this fall. The weather was too mld to really put it through a good test, but I will say this. The jacket is very warm. I wouldn't recommend it for sheep hunting or any other "physical" hunts. Its great for stand hunting. It doesn't breath very well. I got wet one day, not while wearing the jacket. After getting soaked, I took off most of my outer layers and put on the RW jacket. I warmed up nicely in a short period of time. But the inside of the jacket was like a walking sauna. Another down side is it does not compress or pack very well. I really like the RW products, you just need to apply them correctly.

I agree they are way too hot if you're on the move, but I've never had them leak or get soaked through the material. My set has been through the washer several times without a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast