Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with lousy groups on a Tikka T3

Default Help with lousy groups on a Tikka T3

Lousy groups from the get go (December) I have tried around 12 premium brands of ammo to see what it likes. And so far nothing comes close to giving me 1 inch groups at 100 yds. I get about 1 1/2 inch at 50 yds. Any advice before crying to Tikka? BTW the scope is on good.

I've never heard of a Tikka that wouldn't shoot good groups......until now. The scope is on tight....have you tried a different scope? I once had a tired and true Redfield that had been on numerous guns and served me well for many years. I then put it on a brand new Ruger in 350 mag and it wouldn't group for shucks. Turns out it just took a dump and the recoil of the 350 was just enough to put it over the edge. Just a thought!

Another place to look is fouling in the barrel. it may look clean but its a mess. Buy some Wipe Out and follow the directions. You wont believe the gunk and copper fouling you will get out of the barrel. Also Wipe Out is harmless to barrels. You can soak it over night no problem. I know bench rest shooters who use it

Default Details

What caliber is your rifle, which model is it, do you have an extra scope?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    What caliber is your rifle, which model is it, do you have an extra scope?

It is a 7mm mag, T3 lite, non stainless and I do have another scope but it has a 50mm objective where the brand new scope I bought for this new Tikka is a Zeiss 3x9x40mc.

I broke the barrel in as per what Lilja says for there barrel break-in so it got a little cruddy to begin with but now it is mostly powder residue that I find.

I neither have heard of a Tikka shooting bad, thats why I bought it, and I sure hate to think the scope is bad too, but.....?

I do have a scope that would fit, but it is a rimfire mounted on my CZ, I don't think it could take a three shot group.

No offense but try a different shooter before you make the call. The 7mm is a nice accurate round and your rifle is a good quality piece.

Default Suggestions

Before it drives you crazy try this;

First, adjust the trigger to around 3 pounds a 7 pound rifle is very suseptable to trigger pull weight.

Second, install a Limbsaver recoil pad; there is a direct replacement just remove the 2 screws and bolt the new Limbsaver on, no gunsmithing required.

Third, try shooting a box of Remington 150 grn Core-Lokt ammo.

Fourth, If you haven't already, put a set of Talley rings on your rifle. The factory rings are noted by many to be cheesy and fail.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    I broke the barrel in as per what Lilja says for there barrel break-in so it got a little cruddy to begin with but now it is mostly powder residue that I find.

Don't know where you live, but if you live near Fairbanks drop me a PM. I have a bore scope and we can look down your barrel.

Fouling can really cause problems, I though I was cleaning my guns until I bought my bore scope. All mine had fouling to some extent. My accuracy was much improved after I really got them clean.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have read several other threads where accuracy problems were traced to the Tikka rings. The owners replaced them with Talleys or some other quality rings and problem solved.

Something to think about.

First, adjust the trigger to around 3 pounds a 7 pound rifle is very suseptable to trigger pull weight.

Second, install a Limbsaver recoil pad; there is a direct replacement just remove the 2 screws and bolt the new Limbsaver on, no gunsmithing required.

Fourth, If you haven't already, put a set of Talley rings on your rifle. The factory rings are noted by many to be cheesy and fail.
    Really good advice. +1

Default Tikka 3

Them Tikkas are really light weight on my 30-06- Tikka i put a barrel resonator thingy and and a big limbsaver recoile pad.
    and now the rifle not only really pleasant to shoot but i shot about 10 different brands of ammo at 250 yrds there was almost no difference in impact.
    none that i noticed anyway.
    at first i was flinching and groups were bad but after the limsaver that went away.
    i shoot 150 to 180 grains. but use mostly 150 grain.

Shoot and clean, shoot and clean, shoot and clean. You have a Cold Hammer Forged barrel. It takes longer to break in and come alive. Put at least 150 - 200 rounds through it. Shoot 10 to 20 rounds and clean it. Use something like a foam bore cleaner or shooter's choice that will get the copper and powder out of your barrel. If you do this before you try bedding or free-floating or both I think you will see the rifle start to tighten up your groups. You might have to put 300 rounds through it but do it. Remember, shoot it, clean it, shoot clean it. Be patient with it, but one thing for sure a cold hammer forged barrel will last longer than others do.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Brother I feel your pain. I am having the same problem with a T3 lite in 308. I have shot five different factory loads through it.
    It has a Limbsaver pad, Talley Rings and a new Leupold scope.
    I get 3" groups at 50 yards with every shot no where nears the last one. 100 yards is real ugly. They don't clean the copper out of them after they test fire them at the factory which is a bunch of bull and tell you to clean them when you first get them.
    Every time I look at that gun it is like looking at a GF who just cheated on me.
    I called the factory and spoke to one of their smiths who acted like it was not big deal and spoke down to me like I was taking up his valuable time. First thing he asked me after I told him about the grouping and cleaning and still getting crappy groups was if I cleaned it real good and got all the copper out when I first got it.
    He said to send it back and they would put it in a vice of sorts and see how it shoots.
    What a PIA. My other Tikka shoots like a dream.

Default Premium loads

One thing I've noticed when shooting premium ammo is there tends to be a bad interaction between different bullet types. This is the exact reason I use cheap gilded-metal jacketed bullets the first time I shoot a new rifle. The premium stuff usually has a thick, heavy jacket of softer metal which causes fouling problems in a new (rough) bore.

I had a Remington 700 in 338 Win Mag that I got a week before moose season. Not having time for proper break-in I bought a box of premium ammo and ended up with 4"+ groups. Two different premium brands later I finally found something that shot decent enough for hunting. Over the next year I shot and cleaned the rifle many times over, but could never get groups better than 2". I took everything apart and cleaned every speck of anything I could find. Glass bed the action. Glass bed the barrel. Clean the channel and free-float the barrel again. Nothing seemed to work.

The following year I was deployed before moose season and my wife took the rifle to a gun shop for cleaning. When I checked zero it was shooting the first load into 1.25". I tried my remaining ammo from the second manufacturer and it shot just over 1". After talking to the gunsmith we determined the rifle hated the Fail Safe bullets I initially put through it and the moly coat it put on the bore caused accuracy problems with everything else I shot out of it. The sonic bubble cleaning removed the moly as well as the copper fouling trapped under the moly, and the rifle finally shot regular bullets very nicely. I've heard a few others have the same problem with the Fail Safe, and I've also seen this scenario repeated with Barnes-X bullets.

I'd recommend a good, serious barrel cleaning, and then a box or two of cheap bullets (cleaning every 10 rounds or so) before you start shooting the premium hunting bullets. Replacing the Tikka mounts can't hurt either, and I've had great success with the Warne Maxima ringmounts.

Default Shoulda...

bought a Savage... ...

all joking aside, I'd let someone else shot it to see if they're getting the same results, first, that'd be the quickest trouble shooting technique right there.

I had to leave town because of an emergency and I had no access to the internet and just returned, so I was not being rude.

I have the trigger set the lowest it will go, around two pounds I guess.

Good advice on the Remingtons, they shoot the best so far.

I have the Talley rings, and I am looking for a limbsaver for it.

I have shot about 40 rounds of the "cheap" stuff before shooting anything else.

I cleaned it before shooting it and after every round for the first ten rounds, where it seemed it did not foul no where near as much as the first few shots.

I think I will get my buddy to shoot it when I get a chance, but right now it is bed time.

Thanks everyone!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

have you considered getting it a new owner?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    have you considered getting it a new owner?

As a matter of fact I have!

Default OK

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    As a matter of fact I have!
    Just PM me I'll send you my address !

Just PM me I'll send you my address !

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not so fast! I will fix the problem in due time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast