Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone eat Sea Urchins?

Default Anyone eat Sea Urchins?

Been looking around and it looks like alot of folks eat sea urchins. Apprently you either love em or hate em. Just wondering if any folks around here had given them a shot. Any dangers with eating them in AK besides the spines (poisonous meat, ect)?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Been looking around and it looks like alot of folks eat sea urchins. Apprently you either love em or hate em. Just wondering if any folks around here had given them a shot. Any dangers with eating them in AK besides the spines (poisonous meat, ect)?

I am getting sick just think about it!

I tried but it kept getting stuck in my throat.

Pretty salty and soft meat I didn't care for them.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

We used to eat them as kids. If I recall, we would split them open and eat the eggs raw. That was a long time ago, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've seen em used on iron chef looked discusting
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

japanese pay bigbucks for the eggs, they call i uni. ive sold tons of it working at sagaya but couldnt bring myself to try it.

My wife tried them in a nice restaurant and was told they would taste (or have the texture of) like ice cream. She said they were disgusting.

Thumbs down sort of like slime

went diving in Fiji and guys on the boat insisted we eat some. cracked the shell and drank the slop, not to my liking for sure! If I remember correctly (20 years ago), the beer I jugged immediately afterwards tasted a lot better.

Hmm...not encouraging. I haven't been known to listen very well or learn from others mistakes so I'll be trying it anyway.

Default Take some pictures of that adventure...

and post em! Maybe a video on youtube would be even better

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default stuck between teeth

They get stuck between my teeth and are too crunchy. Just kidding, they are delicious, fresh off the beach. Nothing compares, but are soft, more sweet than salty.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    They get stuck between my teeth and are too crunchy. Just kidding, they are delicious, fresh off the beach. Nothing compares, but are soft, more sweet than salty.
    That was my recollection, but that was back in the 70's. I have a tough enough time remembering what I had for dinner last night, let alone 30+ years ago.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

You eat the eggs. In shushi bars, it's called uni. That would be a good place to try it, as ripeness and proper handling are key.

If you try it and like it at a sushi bar, then go ahead and try to gather them yourself. Try to get the red sea urchin species. Mid-winter is usually when the eggs are at their best - look for s bright yellow color.

Smile yuk....

Not on purpose, not if I was sober and only if I am starving. Don't like liver either. I hear the orientals die every year from eating blow fish testicles. I really like a good cheese burger with all the fixins though!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I hear the orientals die every year from eating blow fish testicles. I really like a good cheese burger with all the fixins though!
    And I hear the whites die every year from heart attacks .

I just had some the other day at the sushi bar, and I always enjoy it.
    I think its something you work your way up to. So, if you are already used to eating raw fish, then you may enjoy the uni/urchin.
    I dont think its something you can just start enjoying unless you are used to similar textures and tastes.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Talking

Love sushi and I'm pretty brave as far as textures. (Don't even bother entering in a joke about being used to salty squishy things in my mouth. Too easy.)

The stuff on the sushi bar is brine-cured and I don't care for it. Most Americans will object to the texture. I tried one fresh from the ocean once and it was completely different; I would definitely do it again. Just remember you want the firm orange stuff not the olive-green lumps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast