Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop away rest or whisker biscuit for young archer?

Default Drop away rest or whisker biscuit for young archer?

My oldest has a Browning Micro Midas we got at a yard sale last summer. It is a good little bow except for the fall away arrow rest which is broken.

Should I get another fall away or go to a whisker biscuit for her? Not sure what would work best for a youth.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

bisquit..... safe, sure, easy to use, and cheap enough to toss when they are sure of them self....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Agreed with Vince. We got my wife a whisker biscuit for her first bow as well. It's nice for a new archer to be able to focus on form and aim without needing to worry about an arrow falling off their rest.

Ditto to what Vince and Brian said. That being said... I have just changed from an Octane Hostage Pro to a drop away. I will give you the Octane if you like?

The brushes were wearing a bit funny after some time on my bow, but you can get replacement brushes for around $10 and should last your daughter a long time.

Let me know, I'll be coming into Anchorage tomorrow (Wednesday) and can bring it along.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have four boys and they all started with the biscuit, its just really safe. Feather fletchings shot better than vanes.

Quote Originally Posted by ldh1187 View Post
    I have four boys and they all started with the biscuit, its just really safe. Feather fletchings shot better than vanes.
    Feathers over vanes? I would have thought the opposite. Seems that the feathers would get roughed up as they pass through the biscuit.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Bisquit for the kids is great. Hell, I still shoot one on my hunting bow.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Ditto to what Vince and Brian said. That being said... I have just changed from an Octane Hostage Pro to a drop away. I will give you the Octane if you like?

The brushes were wearing a bit funny after some time on my bow, but you can get replacement brushes for around $10 and should last your daughter a long time.

Let me know, I'll be coming into Anchorage tomorrow (Wednesday) and can bring it along.
    My wife has one of these Octane Hostages on her bow as well. I like them better than the WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    My wife has one of these Octane Hostages on her bow as well. I like them better than the WB.

Word of advice... The brushes wear pretty quick so keep an eye on them. I was told if you put a drop of superglue or fingernail polish on the bottom brush and then file it back smooth it will last a LOT longer.

I wanted to give the FOB a try so I had to move to a drop away.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Word of advice... The brushes wear pretty quick so keep an eye on them. I was told if you put a drop of superglue or fingernail polish on the bottom brush and then file it back smooth it will last a LOT longer.

I wanted to give the FOB a try so I had to move to a drop away.
    Thanks Mud. I appreciate the heads up. I'll try the super glue trick for sure.

Mud, let us know your opinion of the FOB....Might take a dip in the FOB pool here soon also.

Bilder, Yes the feathers do rough up after time, we fletch our own. Usually burn up the feathers during 3D season and then refletch for hunting.

I shot a Biscut for a while but switched to a NAP Sizzor drop away and haven't looked back.

If you shoot a biscut, I reccomend Blazer vanes, but then I reccomend Blazers anyway...

I forgot to mention I have a whisker biscut hanging around in my garage that I don't use after I upgraded to a dropaway. Bilder if you want you can have it for your daughter. Let me know.

I have shot both, if you were in a more mild climate I would say go with the whisker biscuit. If your kid plans on hunting up here there will alwasy be the possibility of rain and below freezing temperatures. If you are on a stalk and your whisker biscuit gets wet and freezes up it will be like trying to shoot an arrow through a frozen paint brush. Because of that I say go with the fall away.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

If you are on a stalk and your whisker biscuit gets wet and freezes up it will be like trying to shoot an arrow through a frozen paint brush. Because of that I say go with the fall away.
    If it's wet and freezing like that...don't get any water in your drop away mechanism. I HAVE had failures like that with drop aways. At least with a WB you can just push your finger through it and clear out the junk. BTW..freezing rain wreaks havok with cables, cable slides, strings and releases too
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have hunted with a WB for years and I have not had a problem with it freezing, but overall they are a lot safer for young bucks. I'd go with vanes they stand up to more wear and tear. Also WB are better out of a stand at close range. It won't let the arrow fall off. Yes it is less accurate. but its cheap and safe.

go with the biscuit, trust me.....

I've shot just about every dropaway on the market including the limbdriver which in my opinion is the best one out there.....

after having them fail on me twice in practice, I've gone back to fixed rests.

biscuits are dummy proof....period.

freezing will affect more than anyones rest. if you're cams freeze or you have water in your string if you didn't wax and that freezes, you're screwed anyway, ice on your arrows or fletching...your screwed.

at least there's no moving parts on the biscuit.

my personal rest is a brite site 3d hunter rest. I use it for hunting and competition. Simple, very inexpensive, super accurate and forgiving.

Default Biscuit

I would have to agree with a biscuit just set it up and forget it. JMO

Default Blob

Well once again I am sorry, wish it would have worked out also. Thanks Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast