Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose and caribou with the same load?

Default Moose and caribou with the same load?

I wrestle with the problem of seeing moose when I am hunting caribou and seeing moose when I am hunting bou! The question of bullet choice is a constant question all of the time! I do not want to shoot a caribou with a large grained bullet as I find that there is way to much damage and the bullet drops like a rock at 250+ yards.

3 years ago I was beginning a hike up a mountain to a large bench that had a group of 200+ caribou in the Noatak NP around the Aggie River area. I was packing my .270 with 130 grain bullets as I find them to really do the job on caribou and can reach out over 400 yards if needed and up 400yds+ is normal. I always carry a pocket full of 160 grain just incase I bump into a nice moose along the way.

About 20 mins. Into this hike I spotted a very nice bull moose taking a nap in some timber about 350 yards out and made the decision to for go the nice caribou we had spotted earlier and kill the day with this moose. I was shooting down hill at about a 20 degree angle and squeezed off a nice shot just behind the shoulder of this guy. The Big Boy lurched and moved about 20 yards into the timber and lay down. Cool! Time for a cup of coffee and a sandwich and give him time to bleed out right!!

I moved in on him after a 15 min rest and this guy bolted straight towards the Noatak River at Jessie Owens speed. Crap! I caught up to him at the river and he was about 20 yards from shore doing the back stroke like Michael Phelps but a boat passing by scared him back towards shore. The last thing I wanted is for this guy to get back into the willow so 2 shots in the neck at 40 yards and mongo was face down in knee-deep water.

Well the story was about bullet choice right? Me being the excited hunter forgot to drop the 130 grain and replace them with the 160’s and as we are pealing the hide back I find shot #1. Well placed and it entered just where I wanted it to but it hit a rib, traveled up towards the spine, lodged in the subcutaneous fat and did almost no damage. Hell this bull would of lived for sure if this was the only shot!

I know that I would have done the needed damage with a 160 grain bullet but the 130 just did not carry enough energy to get past the ribs! I use this example every year in my Physical Science class when we are learning about Inertia! The model 700 is a great gun and if the bullet had slid through the ribs rather than hitting one square on I would have been fine.

The moral of this story is chose the correct bullet for the job at hand and the rest is up to you. Most importantly is shot placement. A well-placed shot will get the job done for sure.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotz, Ak
    www.northwestalaska.com

I have seen many Moose and Caribou fall to the same load out of a 270.... the 130gr Partition. Dont know what bullet you were using but anything weighing 130 grains or more out of a 270 has plenty of power for dropping a Moose.

It may have been shot placement or it was that once in a lifetime happening when it doesnt work, but I guarantee that out of 100 times,99 of them would have resulted in a dead moose after the first shot.

The great thing is though that you noticed it was just wounded and pursued the animal and ended it swiftly and humanely without anything or anybody getting hurt. Good on you for that.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

I believe from the facts presented we have a normal problem seen often in the hunting world. A guy thinkin he doesn't need to sneak closer to the animal to get a better shot.
    Now perhaps Walt didn't include all the details, but from your story, Walt, I'm assuming you shot from 350 yds.
    Would that be correct?
    If your taking regular 400 yds shots at bou, you might be a good marksmen, but your a lousy hunter!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Smile Marten, Marten, Marten

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I believe from the facts presented we have a normal problem seen often in the hunting world. A guy thinkin he doesn't need to sneak closer to the animal to get a better shot.
    Now perhaps Walt didn't include all the details, but from your story, Walt, I'm assuming you shot from 350 yds.
    Would that be correct?
    If your taking regular 400 yds shots at bou, you might be a good marksmen, but your a lousy hunter!

Thats what I like about MT... Well I don't really like MT much now that I think about it but that said. The Moose was down hill in heavy cover and getting closer would mean not having a clear shot. So yes I might have stalked closer but not on this animal. Thanks for the comments. As always I will give them the same amount of consideration as I give my toilet paperů flushed away now!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Gee, Walt...... How many times you read these threads? don't you know you need at least a 338 for bou and at the bare min... 375 for moose...

dang and we went a whole 2 weeks with out a "is this gun big enough" discusssion......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Gee, Walt...... How many times you read these threads? don't you know you need at least a 338 for bou and at the bare min... 375 for moose...
    With at least a 250gr bullet. Don't forget that part, Vince.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

dang and we went a whole 2 weeks with out a "is this gun big enough" discusssion......
    Crap! Now i know the problem! My gun is not as big as my.....****

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Would that be correct?

I forgot.. Up here in the wilds of NW Alaska we lack the roads that you great hunters have in Nome and are forced to get out of the cab of our truck to shoot our meat! Do you guys roll down the window?

What a guy!

That's unlike you Walt. MT was ok until his last comment. sometimes its just about impossible to get closer to an animal. If you had gone down to stalk closer, you may not have even been able to see the moose. Hey MT, you were right that he didn't tell all buyt calling him a lousy hunter may have been premature. Both of you are better that this.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    That's unlike you Walt. MT was ok until his last comment. sometimes its just about impossible to get closer to an animal. If you had gone down to stalk closer, you may not have even been able to see the moose. Hey MT, you were right that he didn't tell all buyt calling him a lousy hunter may have been premature. Both of you are better that this.

Ok now I feel bad! Sorry MT, but you still hunt from the Raods!

I don't believe for a minute that your 160's placed BEHIND the shoulder on a caribou would do considerable damage. An easy solution would be to learn the trajectory of your 160s and go hunting with confidence. Your 160s might have a better trajectory at the long range caribou shots you are talking about anyway. Good luck, glad you recovered your moose.

I agree with jpost. My first thought on this was that if I was in the field with the possiblity of taking different animals, I'd load up for the largest one. I don't think the amount of meat damage really is a valid concern. I've had a wide variety of meat damage from the same load, depending on where the bullet hit.

Main thing is that you followed through and got the moose.

Default 30.06 for both

180 grain bullet. In the shoulder for the moose; in the neck for the caribou.

125 grain montec G5's with gold tip 7595 would do the trick for both...wait a second, this isnt the archery section, oppsss.

Personally, I only have 1 load for each of my hunting rifles. I don't want to bother with making sure I have the right loads when I grab my gun. If I think I'll need another bullet, I take a different gun. I just like to keep it simple, so once I have a good hunting load for a gun, thats all I load for it unless I decide to work up a new load altogether.
    I suppose if I only had 1 gun, I might think about having multiple loads, but my preference would be to have a gun that was capable of killing whatever I wanted to hunt and one load that would work for everything. Of course, it would be a compromise, but thats life.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well the way i see it.....

if your ATV looks like the battle ship Missouri coming up the trail.. the trooper will either shirk and wave you off or get to know you reallllly well...

but then there is never any doubt in what to use if you have them all with you....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up 270 is great!

Hey Walt, that 270 is good for "just about" everything up here. I use strictly 150 grain NosPar mainly because that what my gun shoots best and we've dropped moose, caribou, black bears, deer and a grizz. The grizz was hit twice at 145yards and he hit the dirt hard. We've taken 2 moose with 3 shots at distances of 80 and 130 yards with the same results. Face down! Find the most accurate heavy for caliber bullet for that thing, zero it and go hunting! Break them shoulders!! Damage isn't that bad either as some will tell you. Good luck. My .02....

Just got off the Hornady site.

130 grain .270 at 300 yds. 2460 ft per second with 1746 lbs of energy
    130 grain .270 at 400 yds. 2277 ft per second with 1496 lbs of energy

150 grain .270 at 300 yds. 2270 ft per second with 1716 lbs. of energy
    150 grain .270 at 400 yds. 2095 ft per second with 1462 lbs. of energy

at 400 yds you have 18.50 inches of drop with the 130 grain
    at 400 yds you have 21.80 inches of drop with the 150 grain

The bigger bullet starts sheding its inertia after 200 yds faster than the smaller one. You actaully have less energy.

Do you have an elevation dial on your scope to keep it accurate with 2 different grain bullets at 400 yds?

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...1a5633a77ef5b4
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

And here I thought form the title, the issue was could a REAL MAN take out a Moose and Caribou in one load.......? You need to take half of the moose AND half of the Caribou in each load. I have never seen the man who could do both in one LOAD. And you need a real big pack. Meant to be Funny, ha-ha

Ok, OK, my wording was as poor as Walt's hunting skills!!
    Here's my experience. I purchased a 300 WSM years ago to give me a little more oomph for bear, but still use for other critters. My previous gun was a 30-06. I chose 180 grainers for the 300. Shoots plenty flat enough for my road hunting skills,(that was humor, Walt) but doesn't take out too much meat IF.............I said IF, shot placement is correct. I like low in the chest behind the leg. I have since taken moose, bou and brown bears with the gun and am quite satisfied with my choice.
    Your actually quite correct to call me a road hunter for bou, Walt. But not around here. Rare is the bou along our small road system. Most all my road hunting was done between Kobuk and Dahl Creek, with some up to the mine. Man that used to be a great bou hunting spot. We mostly waited for the bou to come to us. Or, sometimes hunted the river and caught them on the bar or crossing.
    So...........I'll apologize for my "lousy" hunter comment and re-phrase. If you are taking 350 yd shots and moose laying down, and regularly taking 400+ yd shots at bou, you are choosing shooting ability over hunting ability. Your free to feel comfortable doing so, but I feel that is often a poor decision. You accuse me of being a road hunter, then come right out and say you use the exact same tactics that slob road hunters use..........lob em out there and HOPE it hits.
    I'm being a 2nd guesser here and that is often wrong. But from the evidence you have presented, I would say you need to concentrate more on the very "ethics" you so regularly harp to us about. Get closer and whatever bullet you chose will do the job fine.......with proper shot placement!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast