Thread: Kenai River Fishing - Guide Needed for Disabled

Default Kenai River Fishing - Guide Needed for Disabled

My Situation:

I have been living in this wonderful land for the past 5 years and have truly loved and enjoyed every bit of it, even the -50 cold here in the interior. This winter I offered to fly my uncle up and take him fishing. My father had a large part in my passion for fishing, but my uncle definately has played a major role in my addiction

He is in his early 60's and has been battling cancer for the last 18-24 months. He is on the up and up, recovering well and gaining his strength. There is no way with his limited income that he would ever be able to experience this great land, and the wonderful fishing it has to offer.

My Mission:

To take him on an Alaskan fishing adventure, one with rock fish/lings/salmon/halibut/rainbows/dolly's etc... He is in Alaska July 4th - 25th, with the majority of the fishing taking place on or around July 11th.

I am booking out of Seward for our halibut trip, but I would like to get him either into some Kenai River fishing We use to catch rainbows in the 12-14" range in South Dakota, and his eyes would light up with them... maybe he can double that with 24"? A trophy in our books is not expected, a fish in hand is a trophy for him.

Does anyone have a reputable guide that they have personal experience with that I can contact? I would like to find someone who is willing to be patient with those who may not be able to move like a butterfly, or fight a salmon like the young punk I am.

Thank you very much for any and all suggestions... as much as it means for me to offer this to him, I know that it means ten thousand times as much to him.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Contact Billy and Dusty at Alaska Troutfitters.
    They are some of the nicest people it has been my pleasure to meet.
    They are extremely good guides that put the client first and work extra hard to give you a memorable trip.
    They will put you and your uncle on some good trout and dollies.

http://aktroutfitters.com/

I second the guys at Troutfitters.

I would go with a power boat for that situation. PM me and I will give the name of a great trout guy.

Travis, if you guys are going to be in the Fairbanks area during that time drop me line. I would be happy to take you both out for a king trip on the Salcha or Chena. They should be running during that time. EZ fishing and close to the ramp, I use wiggle warts and all he would have to do is watch the rod and wait for the strike.

God bless

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

you may try
    http://www.lastfrontiersman.com/
    also
    Dan is a great guy and is set up for handicap people, and lots of patience...

Default The last frontiersman

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    you may try
    also

Dan is a great guy and has a great boat for disabled people, particular in wheelchairs. He used to be the only guide on the river that specializes in disabled/handicap fisher people.

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    you may try
    also
    Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Dan is a great guy and has a great boat for disabled people, particular in wheelchairs. He used to be the only guide on the river that specializes in disabled/handicap fisher people.
    Still True as far as I know.

Is your father in a wheel chair?

If you are looking for upper river rainbows, the above recommendation is good, also consider Mystic River's Fred Telleen.

For a July rainbow trip however, I would be more inclined to fish the middle vs. the upper (I believe that Mystic does middle river trips as well).

For a lower salmon trip, really there are only a few guys that I know that probably wouldn't be a good match. If you have any grief finding someone, you can pm me as well and I can make some other recommendations as well.

Good luck and good job on your endeavor.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Contact Billy and Dusty at Alaska Troutfitters.
    They are some of the nicest people it has been my pleasure to meet.
    They are extremely good guides that put the client first and work extra hard to give you a memorable trip.
    They will put you and your uncle on some good trout and dollies.

http://aktroutfitters.com/

I believe Billy and the gang (from troutfitters) do the mid river at that time too. Troutfitters is awesome and I have not used mystic but I have heard and read many many good things about them too. The words spoken here are by folks who put alot of time in on that water so you getting some great info. One other place to try is Alaska clearwater adventures. I dont know about thier handicapped access but they are a quality outfit out of cooper landing that are a good bunch of guys too and Yes I have fished with them and troutfitters
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Still True as far as I know.

Is your father in a wheel chair?
    This trip is with my uncle...

And to all those who have responded today, you are all awesome...thank you sooooo much!!!

AKArcher

Default oops

My mistake. Sorry.

Still an honorable endeavor. Is your uncle bound to a wheelchair or is he able to get in and out of a boat? What about standing to fight a fish with assistance? Not that these are limiting factors, however it would be good information for finding the right charter for you.

Cheers

Default No worries AKFishguides

Sorry about that, he is not in a chair, in fact he is in the gym 2-3 times a week trying to regain his strength. I am not certain he would be able to handle a big king...but I am sure he will d*mn sure try. I will assist if needed, but only keep the fish on as he is recovering. Like all of us, the adrenaline rush we get will certainly help him.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    My mistake. Sorry.

Still an honorable endeavor. Is your uncle bound to a wheelchair or is he able to get in and out of a boat? What about standing to fight a fish with assistance? Not that these are limiting factors, however it would be good information for finding the right charter for you.

Cheers

AKArcher

Default He'll do fine!

I think your uncle would do just fine...

Most guides are very experienced dealing with the more mature generations or younger who might need a bit more assistance. There is much that can be done, even maneuvering the boat to make things a bit easier.

Last year I had a 70 pound 11 year old young lady work over a 60 pound king... It was a struggle, but success none the less.

I also had a trip where the youngest person on the boat (not counting me) was 72!. So, I say go for it and hope that you tie into that king that makes for an epic battle.

Cheers