Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who uses gaiters?

Question Who uses gaiters?

I've been thinking of getting into a set of gaiters and looking into some information regarding them. I think I would use them hiking most of the time, but I'm wondering if you guys use them for hunting at or do you save on the weight? Are they quiet or make a lot of noise when walking? Worth the investment or not?

After looking at the many styles available, I've taken a liking to the OR Expedition Gaitors. They don't look very flexible. Anything good or bad to say? Are there better out there? What is your opinion in general?

Thanks!

I use my gaiters all the time. It is rare that I go hunting without them. I don't consider them as extra weight, as they're just a few onces on my ankles. They keep dirt and small rocks out of my boots and allow me to run across shallow streams without getting water over the cuffs of my boots.

Too bad you missed the sale at the Polaris dealer there in Homer a few weeks ago. When we came down to go crabbing we stopped in there to help Dave unload a sled. We went inside and found a sale ranging from 50-90% most of their gear. I picked up a new set of $100 gaiters for $15. I love good deals!

I have a couple of sets that I use mainly for snowmachining and wear them over my snowpants. I haven't tried them in the summer (never thought about it actually.....). Very handy piece of clothing to have though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Mainly use mine for snowshoeing. Will be bringing them along here in a week and half when I am planning going after grizz on sno-gos and doffing the snow pants and sno-go while donning the gaiters and snowshoes on the stalk.

Wink Thanks Brian, you're a pal!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...We went inside and found a sale ranging from 50-90% most of their gear. I picked up a new set of $100 gaiters for $15. I love good deals!
    Thanks for the salt...my wound is feeling better now What did you get? What do you prefer? Some are much taller than others; prefer one or another?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Mainly use mine for snowshoeing. Will be bringing them along here in a week and half when I am planning going after grizz on sno-gos and doffing the snow pants and sno-go while donning the gaiters and snowshoes on the stalk.
    Heated house AND snowmachines...you boys are gonna have it rough
    I sure wish my hunts were lined out like that

Default I do

Like Brian, I use mine all the time. Pretty much, if I'm out, unless it's bone dry, I have mine on. And Brian makes a good point, even then it'll keep the rocks out of your boots. Get some, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    What did you get? What do you prefer? Some are much taller than others; prefer one or another?
    I prefer the ones that are 85% off. I think the new ones are Mountain Hardware, though my old ones are OR. As for the specifics, I never really gave it much thought. Mine cover my calves almost completely and are fairly lightweight material. I guess I would go with ones that are that tall, otherwise they would be more likely to fall down. When I tighten them down at the top, the shape of my calves keep the gaiters from sliding down. I would have called you (really, I would have!), but I bought the last sets they had. With a sale like that, we cleaned them out of quite a few things.

I have a pair of Mountain Hardware, my wife has a pair of OR. I've worn them both and they're both great. I was a bit apprehensive when I bought my MH set as they close with velcro. I was afraid over time the velcro would wear out and they wouldn't close as tightly. But so far no problems at all. A pair of gaiters definitely makes life easier on many hikes, whether dealing with snow, brush, or rocks.

They're almost mandatory, at least in the spring time or out wheelin'. I wear the Kenetrek one's and they work great.

I use them all the time when I'm not in hip boots. OR non expedition weight crocs.

I use gaiters often for all of the above reasons.
    The pair I have now are homemade. They fit to the top of the calf.
    Zippers and velcro to keep em closed. Zippers alone will ice up, the velcro is to keep snow and ice off the zippers. I find with just velcro crust snow will sometimes "open" the velcro.
    One other thing I put mine on zippers in the back when on the snowmachine (so I can kneel on the seat without the zipper in the shin), when hiking I put them on zipper to the front so they say zipped better. (I made'em so they could be worn both ways.)
    I've had zippers and snaps, but they seem to get ice balls around the snaps. Makes'em hard to get snapped.
    If you get zippers, make sure they zip from the bottom up.
    Last edited by travelers; 04-08-2009 at 07:43. Reason: speling

Travelers,
    You got a pattern? Lost mine best pair, was canvas then cloth uppers. Over the calf and save the pants... Thinking of having them zipping up on the out side of the leg for ease of zipping.

Thanks,

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Travelers,
    You got a pattern? Lost mine best pair, was canvas then cloth uppers. Over the calf and save the pants... Thinking of having them zipping up on the out side of the leg for ease of zipping.

Thanks,

George
    I don't have a pattern. But I can lay'em out flat and trace'em for you.
    How do you want the pattern, jpg, dwg,etc?
    Doug

Like some of the folks in this thread, I use mine for all my needs, ATV/hunting/hiking. Not only does it keep your pants dry, but saves your legs a little if you walk into some brush. Good to have and you really do not notice the weight. I have an OR pair, 4th year usng the same pair, so they do last.

i have OR crocs and use them a lot all year. the expedition crocs are thicker and heavier, not sure you need something that stout.

as well, i would look at gaiters with eVent fabric. they are waterproof and breath a lot more. i usually will build up some condensation on the inside when really working in them. and in winter, that condensation forms a thin sheet of ice on the inside. Rab and outdoor designs make them

Travelers,
    A .jpg would be great. Thanks,

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Travelers,
    A .jpg would be great. Thanks,

George
    OK, I dug them out from behind the pickup seat. Give me a few days I'll measure'em up and make a jpg of the pattern. I'll take a picture or 2.

Default Been looking some more

Thanks for all of the input. I haven't found much in the way of getting aboce the calf, except for those Expedition type, which weigh a bit more.

Does it matter whether they have strings, elastic, or buckle at the bottome?

Thanks Again, you've been great help!

Metal bucket tends to ice up in the snow. Then you start walking on a snow ball.
    I use a flat nylon strap about an inch wide.
    I don't care for the elastic strap, in some snows it'll start pushing the gaiter up, stretching the elastic strap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast