Thread: Info On Fishing In July

Default Info On Fishing In July

A newbie here posting for the first time from Ohio. We will be in the Soldotna/Kenai area on July 16 & 17, 2009 and are looking into booking a day trip fishing for two. Both of us are avid bass fishermen and are wanting to experience what the fishing is all about in Alaska. We are not sure which kind of trip we should try, Halibut or river fishing for Salmon. What is "running" that time of year? What would you recommend for this one time shot. Any guide recommendations? We are open to any suggestions, thanks advice for your replies.

Steve in Ohio

Steve - Welcome aboard! There are hundreds of threads on fishing in the Soldotna/Kenai area, so spend a few hours and do some reading - you'll get a much fuller picture that way. Include Kasilof/Ninilchik/Anchor Point/Homer in your searches as well, as you're within ~1hr of those places while in Soldotna.

My thoughts? I would book a king salmon charter one morning on the Kenai, fish for red salmon (sockeye) on your own from the bank that afternoon and then book a halibut/ling cod combo charter out of Homer the next day. I don't have any specific recommendations out of Homer, but I'd contact yukon (his screen name here - send a PM to "yukon") for your king charter.

July, that is a terrible time to fish on the Penninsula. Just kidding seems like Brian has some great suggestions, your trouble might be shipping all the fish back home! Good Luck

The end of July is the best time to catch kings on the Kenai River, and July also has some really good halibut fishing out of Homer.

Default Forget the Kenai

Go to Seward and book a charter to Poney Cove for silvers. Limit of 6 and the action should be hot. Ill be there.

Default Great Timing

Great timing for fishing in that area. I would do exactly as Brain said. Both Kings and Reds will be running at that time. I actually grew up in Soldotna, and try to spend most weekends down there in July. Check out Jim Golden's place "The Sports Den" in Soldotna. He can set you up with some reputable guides for Kenai King Fishing. If you do not want to go all the way to Homer for Halibut (although I would recommend it, as it is a really cool little town), you can always charter out of Deep Creek. Check out Kenai River Bend Resort in Soldotna. They can set you up with the whole package deal (Kings on the Kenai and Halibut out of Deep Creek). My buddy skippers for them out of Deep Creek. As i'm sure you can see, there are a lot of options for that time of year. Best of Luck and Have Fun!!

What can you do to extend your time?
    To bad you have such limited time. If you are driving to soldotna you will be passing some awesome fishing that time of the year. The russian is a very fun place for many poeple. It's a zoo, but a fun zoo.
    Brian had good info. Homer is about 3 hours from soldotna, and deep creek is closer (what 1.5 hours?)
    Will you be camping? Staying in hotels/B and Bs? (I'd advise just don't sleep. Fish till you drop.)
    Lots of good folks on here with tons of good advice.

If I were you I would be trying to figure out a way to stay 6 or 8 days just incase it is raining cats and dogs or blowing 30 knots the day you show up. If you don't you may end up leaving here without a 50lb King or a 100lb Halibut.

If your dates are firm you should book now. Many of the guides are already booked for the month of July. Especially the last 2 weeks. Hap
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Homer is about 3 hours from soldotna, and deep creek is closer (what 1.5 hours?)
    Are you riding your bike? Homer is 80 miles south of Soldotna. I know motorhomes make it slower in the summer, but three hours??

The drive to Homer is a little slower in the summer with the tourists, but well worth it. It should take you about an hour and a half. Deep Creek is only about 45 minutes away. If you are driving from Anchorage, you should really try a little "combat" fishing down at the Russian River. It is quite the show if you have never witnessed it before. As you can probably see, there is a lot to do during that time of year on the peninsula. Just make the most of your schedule, and I'm sure you will have a great time.

Thanks to all for the replies. My Bro-In-Law and I are still trying to work out the schedule to "get away" to hook up with some Alaskan salmon and/or Halibut. We might be able to get away for 1/2 day fishing while we are in Seward on July 13th and again on the 16th or 17th for a whole or 1/2 day while in Soldotna.

If we can occupy the wives while were out fishing we might be able to pull off 2 trips. From what I have been picking up on is that maybe all 4 of us could drive down to Homer from Soldotna and the guys could go fishing for Halibut while the girls take in the town. As far as the fishing in Seward I don't know what trip to book. What type of fishing is going on then in Seward in our time frame besides Halibut?

Thanks again for your help so far...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steveohio View Post
    If we can occupy the wives while were out fishing we might be able to pull off 2 trips. From what I have been picking up on is that maybe all 4 of us could drive down to Homer from Soldotna and the guys could go fishing for Halibut while the girls take in the town.
    Give the wives a credit card and cut them loose in Homer. They'll be busy all day long (and you'll be broke). Places like Alaska Wild Berry can keep them occupied with hours of shopping. Lots of shops to browse and places like the museum to explore to keep the land lubbers happy.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Lol Brian, I don't know if I COULD ride a bike that far. 3 hours is to long even with winnabagos everywhere. Say 1.5 to homer?
    Also the ladies will love both seward and Homer. More shopping type stuff in Homer that you can walk to, more like a postcard in Seward. Maybe see if they want to go on a Kenai Fjords Tour and you two go fishing? The tour is prettty cool.

Thanks to all for the replies. My Bro-In-Law and I are still trying to work out the schedule to "get away" to hook up with some Alaskan salmon and/or Halibut. We might be able to get away for 1/2 day fishing while we are in Seward on July 13th and again on the 16th or 17th for a whole or 1/2 day while in Soldotna.

If we can occupy the wives while were out fishing we might be able to pull off 2 trips. From what I have been picking up on is that maybe all 4 of us could drive down to Homer from Soldotna and the guys could go fishing for Halibut while the girls take in the town. As far as the fishing in Seward I don't know what trip to book. What type of fishing is going on then in Seward in our time frame besides Halibut?

Steve

On july 13 in Seward, I am pretty sure they have 1/2 day trips for Silvers, and usaully the action is pretty good for them out at Pony Cove.

Here is a link to the Kenai Peninsula Visitors Guide. http://shopping.peninsulaclarion.com...1&facing=false
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Default he wouldn't dare!

My husband wouldn't dare try to sneaqk off fishing without me! And half day, heck your out there, whats wrong with a good 8 hrs! Guess I have different priorities. Shopping, ugh, well unless it is the fishing section of B&J's! 8 hrs on shore in Homer is when your sleeping waiting for the next fishing trip right? Hope you have fun! All this advise makes me want to go fishing!

As far as the fishing in Seward I don't know what trip to book. What type of fishing is going on then in Seward in our time frame besides Halibut?

Steve

Steve - that's a great time to be in Seward. When we have visitors, often my wife and the other womenfolk will take the wildlife/glacier cruise out of Seward while the guys do a combo charter. That would be a perfect time for a silver salmon/halibut combo, or a lingcod/halibut combo. The women get so see all the sights and wildlife (and it's hard to beat Seward/Ressurection Bay for scenery) and you guys get the same plus the fishing.

I'd say try Profish-n-Sea or Crackerjack, but I'm pretty sure they're booked solid for July...you might call them to check and at least get a referral. Also, search this site as mentioned for other charters there.

Really, whether you go to Homer or Seward, you'll likely have a great time and catch lots of fish.

Best of luck.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

You can still find a few seats with good companies in Seward. Silvers, halibut and rockfish will be on the menu.
    Kings are not guaranteed on the Kenai. Lots of sitting and watching your rod, but if a big one does hit... boy is it awesome. Sockeye is more of a guarantee, but no guarantee on kings. I am bias to Seward since that is where and what I do. Feel free to give a shout if needed. www.fishwithhill.com

Thanks for all the info. We have booked Profish-n-Sea for a Combo trip out of Seward and booked a King trip on the Kenai with Tim Hiner. Good luck to all this season.

Thanks again,

Steve