Thread: Just....cant......help it......

Default Just....cant......help it......

I didnt have my sled today, as we had to rebuild the front slat, busted as it was. fixxed that, but lacked the old snowgo belts I cut and nail to hold the bridal to the sled proper.
    Soooooooooooooo........My pard Carl was persuing them with a Honda and a bull barreld, scoped out rem700, and left his cart on the trails hard pack , incase I got something....as I knew I would...~~LOL!!~~

She has the sweetest little sticks for antlers, Im gonna make into niksiks to jig for Sheefish with, in the next couple days.

Heres a bunch eating on the side of the lake, as I rode home. Its best not to bug them much, but seee whats bugging them, as in Fur....so I will keep watching and looking for wolves, and such.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Stranger

Being the first to admit I'm not to well learned on the native tools/art subjects, may I inquire as to what is a niksik? And I would like to also say once again another great post and set of pics.

Red face What??

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    Being the first to admit I'm not to well learned on the native tools/art subjects, may I inquire as to what is a niksik? And I would like to also say once again another great post and set of pics.

Jigging sticks used to fish through the ice.

Sorry about that. Im emmersed in Inupiaq , as these older folks still have command of the language, and its common names for everday stuff, I just call them by the eskimo name as well....gotta be "understood" as well , sometimes...

northwestalska is spot on, its a peticular type jigging "reel" and assisting stick to hook and reel in the fish, using two sticks. I'll post a pict tonight maby, Im half done on them.

I guess I gotta figure some new hunts in.....its getting old seeing dead Caribou, as well as rabbits and sheefish...its the "grind" of my existance......I sure cant wait tll geese get here, theres a great time...~~LOL!!!~~and you know I'll try my best to post a good one.

Default You need...

some wild turkey's up there, Stranger! Dumbest thing on this green earth, they'd give you a challenge for a change! Maybe cranes or something would work!

I guess that caribou wasn't fat, or you'd have told us! I would think they'd be getting pretty lean by now, or is there still plenty of winter feed and not much chasing them?

Enjoyed your post, I look for them every night....winter's winding down it was 67 deg today! Lotsa birds chirping this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

I guess I gotta figure some new hunts in.....its getting old seeing dead Caribou, as well as rabbits and sheefish...its the "grind" of my existance
    I knew a woman from Shaktoolik who lived in Noorvik. She would complain in winter......Caribou and fish, caribou and fish, that's all we eat. Haha.

Isn't it about time for the boys to find some seals on the ice?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mmmmmmmmm......Seals are fine, but not quite"Out" as weve had many storms and plenty of snow. They will have a good year of making caves inthe snow, though.Soon, it will be warm and sunny, and they will emerge to lay lazily in the sun.....as it surly warmed up today!! warm sunny days as we move our things to our spring camp, hey usually have a pile of seals for the trip back up this way. Well process them and have a bit of oil. Its great with Spring dryed Sheefish and Dryed caribou meats (NO Flys) that are soft inside and crispy firm from cold drying.
    Very soo, I belive our next good warm up, and itt'll be "Sprung"
    This is time for a "changeover" in seasons and animals.
    Since it was so warm today I would be very suprized if there isnt a Fat assed black Bear or two to be followed in todays 2 inches of snow. Maby a Big 'ol Brown would change the tablefare and the pix/story..~~LOL!!~~

Cranes..Mmmmmmm....think "Ham"...Swans.......Think "Beef".....smelts and boiled Seal meat......Mmmmmmm......Fresh greens with Ranch or vinnigrett dressings with dinner every night!!!!

I am looking forward to the nice "breakup" of the river, and I may spend that time here on Kobuk river, but were certainly getting ready to hunt.

I actually had Wild Turkey the other day, Capt'n....The next morning I had mild "Bird flu"........~LOL!~