Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading Boots

Question Wading Boots

I have been contemplating a new pair of wading boots. I have heard a lot about Chota's but want to hear some feedback from those who have used them. How long have they lasted for you, comfort, and fit according to size.
    Thanks,

Default Decisions decisions

Read the following thread first, then make your decision.http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=47139

Times are changing in the state of Alaska. In 2011 all felt soles will be illegal in southeast Alaska and the rest of the state in all probability will follow.

Chota, manufactures a pretty comfortable boot in $115.00 range but it's felt. Best advice IMO, take your stocking foot waders with you and get the best fitting and most comfortable boot. Simms and several other manufactures are putting out great boots, so try them all. I would highly recommend buying the the vibram soles, unless you go through a pair of boots every season.

Good Luck,

trying them on is the way to go, make sure you have plenty of time and don't be afraid to put a pair of boots on (with your waders on also) and walk around the store or shop for a good 20 minutes. When you stand for long periods of time your feet swell so that length of time should help account for some of it, plus you get to see how they feel walking around for a bit.

I went with Korkers. The interchangable soles are great, they have aquastealth and mossy rock soles (studded rubber), as well as the felt and studded felt. They are the most comfortable boots I've worn.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post
    trying them on is the way to go, make sure you have plenty of time and don't be afraid to put a pair of boots on (with your waders on also) and walk around the store or shop for a good 20 minutes. When you stand for long periods of time your feet swell so that length of time should help account for some of it, plus you get to see how they feel walking around for a bit.

I went with Korkers. The interchangable soles are great, they have aquastealth and mossy rock soles (studded rubber), as well as the felt and studded felt. They are the most comfortable boots I've worn.
    I bought my wife a pair of Korkers for her birthday (which is next month - good thing she doesn't frequent this site I suppose ). She obviously hasn't used them yet, but I have to say that they are sweet looking boots. The interchangeable soles are pretty cool. I'm jealous.

I haven't had any experience with Chota's boots, but have heard good things. Try out a lot of pairs and see what fits you best.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I have not seen where the felt soles were going to illegal in AK. I am all for the environment but making things more dangerous for humans is crazy.
    Where can I find this regulation?

Unfortunately there is not a chota dealer on the island so I have to either order and send back or ask for advice, hence I am asking :-)

Default Ask and you shall recieve

Here is the link, and answer to your question. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...nr.cfm?id=1040 Line (9.)

Don't be so quick to think their less safe, you also have the option of having them studded.

Actually very impressive boots the Simms Rivershed.

Default More info needed

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    Unfortunately there is not a Chota dealer on the island so I have to either order and send back or ask for advice, hence I am asking :-)

Talk with the guys at Alaska Flyfishinggoods. (907)586-3754 and go to the web-site to look at the different styles.

Link: http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/

There concern of "out of state anglers" bringing diseases, that none have been documented, so those of us who live here have to suffer.
    Taking safety of anglers out of the picture is crazy to me. I have used these special rubber soled boots and they just don't compare. Studs are good on some surfaces but what if you fish from a boat? Are you going to keep two pair of boots with you?
    I am sure this was pushed through without much thought from scientist or the general fishing public.

There concern of "out of state anglers" bringing diseases, that none have been documented, so those of us who live here have to suffer.
    Taking safety of anglers out of the picture is crazy to me. I have used these special rubber soled boots and they just don't compare. Studs are good on some surfaces but what if you fish from a boat? Are you going to keep two pair of boots with you?
    I am sure this was pushed through without much thought from scientist or the general fishing public.
    Thats easy....get a pair of these. I own a pair and absolutely love them. You can change to sole on bottom of the boot and there are plenty to choose from. My paid came with the felt sole and the rubber aquastealth, but you can buy any sole you want from them.

http://korkers.com/product.php?recKey=37

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Exclamation Go Stimulate the economy

There concern of "out of state anglers" bringing diseases, that none have been documented, so those of us who live here have to suffer. Your right, you will be the one suffering if invasive species ever arrive here in Alaska. Google whirling disease in Colorado and Montana.

Taking safety of anglers out of the picture is crazy to me. I have used these special rubber soled boots and they just don't compare.
    Really, the new Vibram soles that just came out in 2009. I wonder what you would have done 50 years ago.

Studs are good on some surfaces but what if you fish from a boat? Are you going to keep two pair of boots with you? No, probably just adapt like everyone else, or take up golf but they don't allow spikes.

Your right, it's all just a conspiracy just like the flyfishing industry being one of the largest advocates in protecting that priceless fishery they call Bristol Bay.

Stimulating reply, or just flat irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailingloop View Post

Stimulating reply, or just flat irritating.

Irritating to one, stimulating to most

Seriously, there is good reason in the rules changing. Saw recently where New Zealand has had lots of problems and have banned waders from other areas. Can't remember the rule, but seemed like you could not have felt and they had to be cleaned with bleach before you could fish.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The Cloudveil 8x wading boots are some of the sweetest I have ever seen, lighter than my tennis shoes, grippy felt and non corroding eyes (important around here)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Originally Posted by akflyfisher
    There concern of "out of state anglers" bringing diseases, that none have been documented, so those of us who live here have to suffer. Your right, you will be the one suffering if invasive species ever arrive here in Alaska. Google whirling disease in Colorado and Montana.
    Very familiar with whirling disease. If it as going to get here in AK it would have been here already.

Taking safety of anglers out of the picture is crazy to me. I have used these special rubber soled boots and they just don't compare.
    Really, the new Vibram soles that just came out in 2009. I wonder what you would have done 50 years ago.
    I used the "new" 5ten soles over ten years ago when they where "as good as felt" and they are not. All the serious reviews on these new soles say they are not as good as felt. So i am apt to believe, they are not as good as felt.

Studs are good on some surfaces but what if you fish from a boat? Are you going to keep two pair of boots with you? No, probably just adapt like everyone else, or take up golf but they don't allow spikes.
    the problem is that many will do as you suggest. In that case we will have even less anglers and then the sport will die and the PETA people will get our sport outlawed.

Your right, it's all just a conspiracy just like the flyfishing industry being one of the largest advocates in protecting that priceless fishery they call Bristol Bay.

I have probably done more in my life to protect trout streams than you can imagine but I am realist and realize that we must draw the line somewhere. When we start putting creatures before man, man will no longer be there to protect the creatures.

By your response you seem irritated that I don't agree with you on this subject. Why? Did you ramrod it through?

Default Just grin'n

Originally Posted by akflyfisher
    Very familiar with whirling disease. If it as going to get here in AK it would have been here already.

I used the "new" 5ten soles over ten years ago when they where "as good as felt" and they are not. All the serious reviews on these new soles say they are not as good as felt. So i am apt to believe, they are not as good as felt.

the problem is that many will do as you suggest. In that case we will have even less anglers and then the sport will die and the PETA people will get our sport outlawed.

I have probably done more in my life to protect trout streams than you can imagine but I am realist and realize that we must draw the line somewhere. When we start putting creatures before man, man will no longer be there to protect the creatures.

By your response you seem irritated that I don't agree with you on this subject. Why? Did you ramrod it through?
    Actually no, I just wanted to invoke a response. Looks like a succeeded on all the issues, I have with your argument. Personally, I'm not really big on CHANGE (see Obama) he's got plenty of it.

Since both of us can hide behind the face of anonymity, your one statement of doing more to protect trout streams than you (I) can imagine, doesn't fly. In making such a bold statement, it says really quite about yourself. For the simple reason it's not about you, it's about what all us share. Anyone who contributes to the water quality and protecting the environment has my respect including yourself.

I think you would also be surprised, how really close we are on many issues.
    A.N.W.R. - Drill away.
    North Slope- Keep drilling.
    Pebble Mine Hell NO!

How's my accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailingloop View Post
    Actually no, I just wanted to invoke a response. Looks like a succeeded on all the issues, I have with your argument. Personally, I'm not really big on CHANGE (see Obama) he's got plenty of it.

Since both of us can hide behind the face of anonymity, your one statement of doing more to protect trout streams than you (I) can imagine, doesn't fly. In making such a bold statement, it says really quite about yourself. For the simple reason it's not about you, it's about what all us share. Anyone who contributes to the water quality and protecting the environment has my respect including yourself.

I think you would also be surprised, how really close we are on many issues.
    A.N.W.R. - Drill away.
    North Slope- Keep drilling.
    Pebble Mine Hell NO!

How's my accuracy.
    You are correct, I too hate change, especially for the sake of change.
    North Slope and ANWR, lets get the oil (I now say wait until its worth more)
    Pebble Mine, No way in hell!

I believe in true conservation, that is using the resource. Preservation and conservation should never be confused.
    I spent years working as a volunteer for Trout unlimited, starting a chapter, and being a council vice president and a council president along with being on the National Resource Board. I have been a life member for over 12 years. I have agreed and disagreed with many initiatives of TU. The felt boot one is one that I don't necessarily agree with. If you look at the facts, unless you are wear all rubber boots you are going to transmit organisms. Felt has been in use long enough that most of what can be transported successfully has been transported. in other words the damage has been done.
    The ban on felt boots is a knee jerk reaction that the radical left is known for. The boot companies like it so they sell everyone new boots so of course they support the initiative.
    I really would like to know the science behind this new law in AK. SE AK has a lot more radical lefties than SC so I can see how it was passed.

you now have my $0.02 on this issue and I would gladly go toe to toe with anyone on this subject.

I guess I should just get the korkers with the CHANGEable soles.

+1 for korkers they are awesome. WOW you guys, glad winter is almost over. :-)

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Right foot

You are correct, I too hate change, especially for the sake of change.
    North Slope and ANWR, lets get the oil (I now say wait until its worth more)
    Pebble Mine, No way in hell!

I believe in true conservation, that is using the resource. Preservation and conservation should never be confused.

The ban on felt boots is a knee jerk reaction that the radical left is known for. The boot companies like it so they sell everyone new boots so of course they support the initiative.
    I really would like to know the science behind this new law in AK. SE AK has a lot more radical lefties than SC so I can see how it was passed.

you now have my $0.02 on this issue and I would gladly go toe to toe with anyone on this subject.

You are correct about the left in Southeast, a little heavy on the port side. Trust me when I say, I know the same people you associate with in the big circle.

Default Chotas

akflyfisher,
    The Chotas I bought for more comfortable hiking have been excellent.
    Chota, like other manufacturers, is planning for transition to non-felt soles. Their current model is call Rockloc.

Pros: Light, flexible and very comfortable hiking shoe for streams/banks without a load.

Cons: The stretch laces with quicklok on mine didn't hold up well (I just replaced them with Simms laces -no further problem). Size them carefully. The flexible uppers that make them comfortable to hike in don't offer as much support. If they're too large, they'll likely be sloppy to wear.

I would buy these boots again. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast