Thread: Need some idea's for Hunting

Default Need some idea's for Hunting

My fellow Alaskan's,
    Need some hunting idea's for any kind of hunting for 3 non-residents 23-28 August. I know its a huge shot in the dark trying to get these guys a hunt but I got to try. I am willing to fly these guys from Anchorage. Just thought I would try something. Thank you for looking.

Joe

Default Bears and Bou

Food for thought being that it is dead salmon season just about every stream on the Chulitna system offers some form of bear hunting. That being said withyour party you're more than likely limited to Black Bear and of course they smell somewhat but it is a Big Game hunt and there are a fair number available. Another option in going up the Haul Rd and getting out five miles. Your timing is good to fair to hunt the rd system in about 5 days and have a reasonable chance at harvesting a bou with some work involved.

There are some commercial flights out to select areas from P. Bay PM if you wish a couple of more ideas concerning P. Bay and hunting on the North Slope.

Blue Moose

Default bou

I think your best bet for success is going to be caribou. Maybe a flight out to unit 9 area (not sure on the season and I don't have my regs handy), Kotz, or unit 25.

The way I usually plan hunts like this (with a group of friends) is to plan on having a good time and if we fill out some tags, so much the better.

Richard

Only 5 days beginning to end will make it tight for pretty much anything. I assume that they arrive on the 23rd and leave on the 28th which only really gives you 3 hunting days. I would pick up some Black bear tags and head south toward Cooper Landing. Hike up high and get into some blue berry fed bears. How many hunters total? 3+ you? If you split up into teams and hike different high alpine ridges you should be able to cover a lot of ground and hunt down on them. If the berries are ripe then you shouldn't have a problem connecting. Even if you don't the country is beautiful and it will be a wonderfull AK experiance for them.

Hey richard, nonresidents cannot hunt caribou in GMU 9 this year, or 17 or 19.
    I agree with the others, black bear would be a good hunt within the time limits you present. Between the salmon and the first berries ripening, you have options for looking for the bears. You can maximize the time you have. PWS might be an option, you can fly out over there from a reasonable cost (Trail ridge)
    The short time period will keep you from doing a haul rd caribou hunt or going anywhere else up north.

I'm pretty sure the black bear season in PWS won't be open in August this year, so Unit 6 is out. I think LuJon hit the nail on the head - go south into the Kenai Mountains and chase bears on berries. Your chances of success will be high, and if you want to take an afternoon off, there will be rivers full of rainbows and dollies hungry for any fly that resembles a salmon egg.

Default Agree / Disagree Bou

Not picking a fight however a total of 5 days in state is enough time to turn and burn on Bou concerning the Haul Road. Is it a quality hunt with time to enjoy everything (No) but it can be done and be a rewarding. Would I attempt it bow hunting in 3 days on a regular basis (No) however with a rifle and doing the tundra two step with limited time (Yes) if in fact I had limited options and wanted to target Bou.

Don't get me wrong the first thing that came to mind is Bear anything south of Cantwell and I agree that would be the first consideration for the allot time and group size however Caribou on a turn & burn is doable just not the Best or Prime option considering the time available.

Case and Point 2004 unexpected guest decided to visit for some fishing and then asked about hunting 10 hours later we were on the Slope by the Gravel Pits. Set up Camp woke up way to early headed to the K-River got about 6 miles out and shot! Spent the next 6 hours working our way back to Camp. Slept for what seem to be two days but just over night got up drove back to Fairbanks. Basically a Three Day hunt. Like I said not exactly the best hunt however doable and they have a 2 day window as well.

Being that they more than likley not use to Alaska and we have no idea of the hunting shape the may or may not be in it would not be best option however Caribou during that time of year are an option.

BMR

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I think your best bet for success is going to be caribou. Maybe a flight out to unit 9 area (not sure on the season and I don't have my regs handy), Kotz, or unit 25.

The way I usually plan hunts like this (with a group of friends) is to plan on having a good time and if we fill out some tags, so much the better.

Richard

I might be worng, but i think that the board of game voted to close GMU 9 to non resident caribou hunting.

Flying out to Kotz might be the best bet, the Haul road would be ok, assuming all of the three non-res hunters have thier IBEP certifications.

I would start by reading the regulations and getting some ideas from there. There are also a number of books out there you could read or have your hunting partners read up on.

I agree with those that say 5 days is a short time to hunt when you factor in travel time. Plus if you are rushing around it takes the fun out of it for me. Since they are flying into Anchorage I would stay in that area. Hit Cooper Landing for black bears, camp, fish and enjoy. If not you will spend more time traveling than anything else. This late in the game you would have a hard time finding any air taxis that aren't booked. As said the Haul Road is an option, but that is a tough run from Anchorage. Alaska air taxi is flying folks out of Dead Horse, you could all fly in with Alaska airlines and get them to drop you outside the 5 mile bow area. I would just head on down to Cooper Landing and black bear hunt and enjoy Alaska, would be fairly cheap and the entire area is awesome, great camping and fishing.

Hope you have a great trip, look forward to pictures.

Be safe Steve

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Thank You

Thank you for all the great ideas

I guess that will make the decision a little easier...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Hey richard, nonresidents cannot hunt caribou in GMU 9 this year, or 17 or 19.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default kodiak blacktails

opens August 1st
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Kodiak Blacktails opens August 1st

I did not think of that, that would be an awesome trip. Fly from Anchorage into Kodiak and then to Old Harbor and knock over a few Blacktails and take in some incredible scenery. The wife and I have a hunt booked with Jeff from kodiak combos in Nov ourselves.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Hey that is a Great idea

Little Black Tail, Little Fishing, Little Claming for the Res! NICE!