Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self defense hand gun

Default Self defense hand gun

What's do you guy's recommend for a tent gun or carry gun. I'am sure it's been talked about a hundred times, would you pick a short barrel or the longer for better distance? Or do you just rely on your rifle.

Kinda depends on what you are protecting yourself against. If it's for bear then your rifle would be the best option, but a .44 would work. If it's predators of the two-legged kind you fear than a .40, .357, would be sufficient. I would carry a mid-sized firearm, not too bulky but still accurate enough to get the job done. Just my opinion.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Hey Doug, 2 legged one' s that should be more like varmit shooting. Thanks for serving.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    Hey Doug, 2 legged one' s that should be more like varmit shooting. Thanks for serving.
    Well that is true. Then in that case I would opt for an AR type rifle w/ high capacity mags. No problem.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Yea, but the rounds sould atleast be barnes varmit grenades

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

sleeping in the tent gun? don't matter what cal... just file off the front sight.

fits in your mouth better............
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Tent

Unless you are in a large wall tent, try swinging a rifle around in a two or four man tent with a bear outside and your buddy screaming like a school girl. The biggest cal handgun with the most capacity, that you can handle and shoot well. Tritium sights, laser sights or mounted flash light, not a bad idea either. .02.

I started with a Blackhawk 357, then a Blackhawk 45, and now have a S&W 460V. I felt safe all over the lower 48 with the 357 but when I moved to Alaska I felt under gunned so went to the 45. Last summer with all the bear stuff I started looking for a 454 to up the anti and sleep a bit better and found that the 460V will shoot 45 and 454 as well as the huge 460 Mag. That was the selling point to me and I love it and plan to hunt with it also this year.

One other thing I do is use a lanyard loop in the bottom of the grip to tie a lanyard to my wrist with about 2 foot of slack. This way if the tent is collapsed by a bear I have some chance to drag the gun to me instead of wondering where it may have went inside the tent. I sleep better knowing I have that little cord keeping the gun with me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What's do you guy's recommend for a tent gun or carry gun. I'am sure it's been talked about a hundred times, would you pick a short barrel or the longer for better distance? Or do you just rely on your rifle.
    If I am in a tent I am not concerned about distance so a short barrel is fine - Sigma 40, Para13 45, redhawk 44, security six 357, or 870 (all depends on what state/country the tent is set up in)

If I am carrying CC then smaller and easier to move in and out of the truck with - J frame .38 is fine.

If open carry then the old 5.5 redhawk is fine.

If I was to want to use a pistol for distance work then a longer barrel would be called for. However, the redhawk is good to 50 yards if I practice enough so I am covered.

If walk in hunting then the rifle and the .22 MarkII if I know I could get some birds in the area.

Hey thanks guys, I'am still laughing at jmt9 post. You know that ones real! ADfields the 460 is the gun I had in mind, I also like the 3 different rounds,the lanyard in the tent is a good idea. I heard there pretty loud.

Hey thanks guys, I'am still laughing at jmt9 post. You know that ones real! ADfields the 460 is the gun I had in mind, I also like the 3 different rounds,the lanyard in the tent is a good idea. I heard there pretty loud.
    Ya, it's got a shock wave that will give you a headache from 10 rounds of hot 395 grain hot 460 loads. I would never shoot 460s at an inside range even if they would let me! With 454 or 45 ammo itís not any louder than a Redhawk 454, just the full 460 ammo is loud but itís also shockingly potent. I have people say you need double ear protection but I find my muffs are all I need.

I love ~ love ~ love my 460V!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Talking A good "tent" gun...

Single shot, big bore... but it's IS in a tent.
    Last edited by JOAT; 08-27-2009 at 10:27.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up Howitzer???

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    My first thought was ďHow do you get the bear if front of the muzzle when its 10 foot high?Ē

But then it dawned on me that just the report from that inside the tent would surely discourage even the meanest critter in Alaska!

Donít forget to sleep with your hearing protection on though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    If I am carrying CC then smaller and easier to move in and out of the truck with - J frame .38 is fine.
    That's true, and if there's bears around, you can sleep in the truck. (Roll up the windows)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

GP-100 and 6 rounds of Winchester Black Talons. My favorite.

Ron

I sleep with a 4" Redhawk .44mag loaded with Grizzly 300g H.C. in big-bear country, and a Glock everywhere else, always next to a Pelican flashlight, home or away. Rifle stays outside the tent so my scope doesn't get all froggy.
    -J

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

For those of us,fortunate enough to own a "Guides Choice" chest holster, from Diamond D Leather, the answer is SIMPLE.

(Painfully so, if we sleep on our tummies.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default post a sentry with combat load

if you sleep in a tent in bear country.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default For Bear or for people?

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    GP-100 and 6 rounds of Winchester Black Talons. My favorite.

Ron
    Black talons are reputed to be very effective on people, feral dogs, maybe coyote, but on a bear (even a relatively small Black Bear) or medium large folf, I would not expect more depth of penetration than irritation value.

Evaluate the threat you expect, multiply times the likelihood and adjust for the severity of consequence. Pick your ammunition to meet the worst case scenario.

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Do your own research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.

Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I kow that gun, but the question is how do you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast