Thread: Best packable boat for 25 HP jet??

Default Best packable boat for 25 HP jet??

I have been trying to figure this out for some time and figured it's time I tapped into some of the knowledge and experience on this forum. This may not even be a realistic goal but I am trying to find a good setup for my 25 HP jet motor. It is rated at 18 HP at the foot from the factory but it is a 25 HP power head. I have a floatplane and I want to have the ability to run up shallow creeks in remote areas that would be difficult to get a boat into. I thought I was going to buy a little raft and strap it on the back but I have been asking around and I have been hearing the same thing over and over. I would need a 14' raft to mount that motor onto and even then I could have cavitations issues. I was hoping to keep the weight as low as possible. I have a Cessna 172 on Edo 2000 and a 180 Lycoming motor. I looked into a porta-boat but even the dealer does not think it would work with my motor. I had thought about the jet ranger but my friend owned one and was not pleased. Maybe it was just him so if you have an opinion about that, lets have it. I even thought about trying to secure a small aluminum boat to the bottom of the fuselage above the float spreader bars but I'm not sure that could be done safely. No matter what I end up with I realize I will have issues with keeping the bow down so I planned of having 5 gallon cans aboard so I could fill them up for weight on empty runs. I think I have thought of everything available but if not, please let me know. If you have any tricks for making a certain setup work, please let me know.
    Any ideas?

Default Rafting Forum...

You might check out the Rafting Forum archives.
    Plenty of old stuff in there about Jim Kings Jet Ranger, and AK Raft & Kayak Power Traveler....but to boil off all the bull...nobody has worked out a great soft bottom inflatable boat that is both airplane friendly and efficient with a small jet. But check those archives...

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Dennis,

Thanks for the post. I'll look into it.

It's tough to beat an air floor roll-up inflatable and a 15hp 2-stroke. My little rubber boat weighs 64 pounds and the motor about the same. Tilt the motor to the low water trim setting and an inflatable will go places that'll surprise you. The reason I went 15 is that a 10 and 15 are the same size and are almost identical in weight, which is still light enough to get in and out of a plane pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    It's tough to beat an air floor roll-up inflatable and a 15hp 2-stroke. My little rubber boat weighs 64 pounds and the motor about the same. Tilt the motor to the low water trim setting and an inflatable will go places that'll surprise you. The reason I went 15 is that a 10 and 15 are the same size and are almost identical in weight, which is still light enough to get in and out of a plane pretty easily.
    I like your style Mr. Pid. Hey faithnhim, I have a 15 hp 2 stroke mercury I'll use as a partial trade and cash towards your 25 hp jet. Whatcha think??

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I like your style Mr. Pid. Hey faithnhim, I have a 15 hp 2 stroke mercury I'll use as a partial trade and cash towards your 25 hp jet. Whatcha think??
    Thanks for checking but I really like that little motor and I use it on my jon boat for the little rivers around the valley and it works great. I would like to be able to use it on fly out trips too and I need a jet to go where I want to go.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

years ago i had a merc 25 jet and i had a 11ft inflatable was the best jet boat. I could go in water that i couldnt go in with my 18ft 40 hp jet boat i hauld it eveywhere in my t-craft.