Thread: Best packable boat for 25 HP jet??

Default Best packable boat for 25 HP jet??

I have been trying to figure this out for some time and figured it's time I tapped into some of the knowledge and experience on this forum. This may not even be a realistic goal but I am trying to find a good setup for my 25 HP jet motor. It is rated at 18 HP at the foot from the factory but it is a 25 HP power head. I have a floatplane and I want to have the ability to run up shallow creeks in remote areas that would be difficult to get a boat into. I thought I was going to buy a little raft and strap it on the back but I have been asking around and I have been hearing the same thing over and over. I would need a 14' raft to mount that motor onto and even then I could have cavitations issues. I was hoping to keep the weight as low as possible. I have a Cessna 172 on Edo 2000 and a 180 Lycoming motor. I looked into a porta-boat but even the dealer does not think it would work with my motor. I had thought about the jet ranger but my friend owned one and was not pleased. Maybe it was just him so if you have an opinion about that, lets have it. I even thought about trying to secure a small aluminum boat to the bottom of the fuselage above the float spreader bars but I'm not sure that could be done safely. No matter what I end up with I realize I will have issues with keeping the bow down so I planned of having 5 gallon cans aboard so I could fill them up for weight on empty runs. I think I have thought of everything available but if not, please let me know. If you have any tricks for making a certain setup work, please let me know.
    Any ideas?

The Jet Ranger sounds like just what you need. It is a niche boat and has limits but all things considered I think it would work. I have one and live in North Pole. Would be happy to let you try it out. I did install a pair of anticav plates on mine and it really helped with the cavitation. I has no regrets about buying this inflatable it has served me well. I run it by myself and have no trouble leeping the nose down. I'm a rated private pilot, not current, but would love to do a test if you like. We could load it up in the plane and take a test run. Drop me a line if you have ????...

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I had the same setup....25hp Merc short shaft & a 12' Metzler raft that weighed 85 pounds with a wood transom. It's a bit heavy for the raft, but it worked, and packed in the back of my C170.
    I don't if they even make them anymore, or what name they go by now...but I bought it from Alaska Tent and Tarp in Fbx.

That's funny, I have a metzler in storage! My dad bought it new in the 70s and I inherited it...time had been ok to it, but it needed some work. I ended up removing and reglueing all the rubber mounts on it. Great little boat, but...it is a little boat!

I don't have a jet, but I have had it in rivers, lakes, and even fished silvers in valdez. With a 15hp prop it gets on step with two guys totalling close to 500lbs. (that impressed me)

For a boat with an inflatable floor and no keel it does pretty well. (the inflatable floor would make it perfect for packing in an airplane...just deflate, roll it up, and shove it in the plane)

I finally have a small flat bottom jet boat that is able to fit the family and really run the rivers, but I'm saving the metzler for some four-wheeler-in lake fishing or maybe a DIY float hunt with a friend that has a 10' zodiac.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Jet ranger

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The Jet Ranger sounds like just what you need. It is a niche boat and has limits but all things considered I think it would work. I have one and live in North Pole. Would be happy to let you try it out. I did install a pair of anticav plates on mine and it really helped with the cavitation. I has no regrets about buying this inflatable it has served me well. I run it by myself and have no trouble leeping the nose down. I'm a rated private pilot, not current, but would love to do a test if you like. We could load it up in the plane and take a test run. Drop me a line if you have ????...

Steve
    Steve, thanks very much for the reply. My friend may not have had his set up correctly. Jim wrote me a PM and gave me some ideas and offered to let me try out it his own boat with my motor after the waters thaw. I think I will take him up on it.
    Thanks for the reply.

Kevin