Thread: Archery range at Kincaid Park and others- when do they open?

Default Archery range at Kincaid Park and others- when do they open?

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone knew when the outdoor ranges would be open for business this year? Took the kids to Kincaid last summer and we really liked it. Going to join the group this year and take advantage of the course over there as well.

Are there any other outdoor ranges in the area? Seem to remember something about one out in Birchwood, but I cannot remember who maintains that one.

Thanks. Hoping to get my form and aim down and get my bow hunting certification this summer.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Bilder -

Seems like that gate is ALWAYS closed at Kincaid, but just walk around it and help yourself to the known-distance range is what I do. Become a member of Cook Inlet Archers and you may get a key. The KD range is public; their shooting course is not.

Don't forget Rabbit Creek Rifle Range and Backcountry Archery on Arctic.

If you've got a wooded yard and decent neighbors; ... But it's illegal. Know that.

Taylor

-[]------->

Cook Inlet Archers, that is the group I could not remember.

Thanks for the memory nudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    If you've got a wooded yard and decent neighbors; ... But it's illegal. Know that.

Taylor

-[]------->
    Marc - It's illegal to shoot arrows in your yard? I've got a big back yard, but it's not wooded. My neighbors have never said anything, but I am shooting within sight of the road when I'm out to 40 yards (closer than that I'm hidden by my house). I didn't know I was breaking the law by doing so.

Default Back yard shooting

I did some pretty extensive research on backyard archery, and I can't find anything indicating it's illegal. There is a prohibition on discharging firearms, to include air rifles (don't recall about air pistols), but I could find nothing in Muni statutes prohibiting archery.

If I'm wrong, please point me to the specific statute. I certainly don't want the hassle of being on the wrong side of the law.

Chris

Default Bow & Arrow

The only statutes against bow & arrow that I am aware of only applies to Public Lands.

Anchorage Municipal Code (AMC) 25.70.060.Q
    No person shall discharge a firearm or shoot a bow and arrow in a park except in areas designated by the director, where there is no reasonable likelihood of jeopardy to people, domestic animals, or property.

ILLEGAL is what they are teaching at the Alaska IBEP course. Something to do with inherently dangerous to others, but no, there is no particular statute covering it.

It's LEGAL right up until you botch a shot or a neighbor complains, whichever comes first.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post

It's LEGAL right up until you botch a shot or a neighbor complains, whichever comes first.

Taylor
    Got it.

Note to self - don't botch a shot.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

again i feel spoiled as all heck... in Fairbanks.. the neighbor brings his 338 over to shoot with me... we do it off the back step..... at the cabin in clear... well...... lets just say we can have archery and a trap shoot, and big game guns going at the same time...the only time the neighbors there complain is if they get out shot..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Pretty sure if I tried to set up an archery range in the courtyard of the condo building the neighbors would call the cops on me.

Have a few tree huggers living in the building who give me dirty looks every time I head out the door with a weapon or fishing pole.

Always find it curious how people will buy meat at the market and not think a thing about it, yet they frown at those of us who like to cut out the middle man and kill our own food.

Default shooting out doors

Black Sheep archery has an out door range. It's not much to brag about right now but this summer we are going to level the field and a eagle scout is going to build some back stops like the ones at the park you shot at. When we get the new back stops we are going to be putting out some block 2X4's. We also put out a "donor" target in the summer so you can shoot broad heads. If you join the club you also get the combo to the indoor range that has arrow saws, bow presses, arrow jigs and a string jig that you can go use 24/7. you can shoot up to 50 yeards indoors to.....on the days its not so nice out.
    $100 for a family** membership with two work parties for the club
    or
    $150 for a family** membership with no work party requirements

If you shoot a lot with your kids think about how fast it would pay for itself... you dont pay by the hour!!
    go to blacksheeparchery.com.... If you want to know more or see the range my name is Chad. I am on the contacts list, just give me a call and we'll set something up.

The club also does a kids shoot on Saturdays during the winter. It's free to everyone member or not and they have all the stuff your kid will need to learn how to shoot.

Had my recure repaired by a guy in South Anchorage. He shoots in his back yard. He has had the cops called and when they show up he ends up getting them to shoot with him. The lady that called sent her husband over and with in 45 minutes this guy had the husband shooting shafts...

Better to ask forgivness than permission.

George