Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winch and Tire Advice for new machine

Default Winch and Tire Advice for new machine

I just got a Foreman 500 with PS. I need to put a winch on it and new tires to get ready for hunting season. I will ride this quite a bit as I live on Hatchers Pass in Willow. I want to get the right set up and the best possible accessories so that it is dependable out in the middle of nowhere. Any advice for a willy billy? thanks

Warn 2500# winch and a set of ITP mudlite rubber are the standard. I like to go a bit taller and wider than stock on tire selection. Usually +1" on both will fit without rubbing on most ATV's but you will need to do some research on your rig to verify.

Default ditto

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Warn 2500# winch and a set of ITP mudlite rubber are the standard. I like to go a bit taller and wider than stock on tire selection. Usually +1" on both will fit without rubbing on most ATV's but you will need to do some research on your rig to verify.

LuJon is spot on here. Don't go with one of the cheap winches, you will be sorry you did when you get really stuck. I have Mudlite XTR's on my Rhino, and I have been very happy with them.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I had the Mudlite XTR's on my Prowler, great tires and could go through anything (within reason) but I did have side wall issues (cutting). I'm trying Mud Sharks this year. For sure a warn winch w/ the poly line rather than the cable.

Do you think those sidewalls on the XTR's aren't as strong as they should be or other tires? I emailed ITP on Fri. asking about same but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Default ITP Mud Lites XTR

RUU, I never had a problem with the ITP XTR Mud lites on my Quad, but on the Prowler I experienced 2 cut side walls and a bad bead. The bead problem came from running to low tire pressure (talked to ITP) they rekomend 12 psi for UTV's ( I think the tire is labled 7 psi, but don't remember). The two cut side walls...??, maybe just bad luck. Not bashing the tires though, for deep mud and deep water crossing they are the best I have used to date.

Default Stick with warn winch

I've personally and know of others that had bad experiences with Ramsey winches. I've gone back to a Warn. The Ramsey does not seem to have any seals to keep water and mud/sediment out from the inside of the case. Bad idea for Alaska with amount of water and bogs you're likely to cross.
    Dave

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBad View Post
    I just got a Foreman 500 with PS. I need to put a winch on it and new tires to get ready for hunting season. I will ride this quite a bit as I live on Hatchers Pass in Willow. I want to get the right set up and the best possible accessories so that it is dependable out in the middle of nowhere. Any advice for a willy billy? thanks
    warn 2500.... any larger and your eating your battery.

ITP 589. DO NOT get taller unless YOU really need it... when in the heavy mud you will loose horse power...

i like the 589's they work all around mud, water, snow, rocks and mountains, tundra, my buddies get a Lil peeved i just crawl over stuff they are spinning in.. and if used wisely they do not tear stuff up...

i have Honda Foreman with 27 inches ( should of stayed smaller) i use a lot of gas in this one... the Suzi/ 500 with 589 size same ( as stock) tire... has a better power range and fuel... the Honda does better on fuel when i put the stock rims and tires back on it.

i run ALL conditions in the mountains i play in. they are good all around tires.

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

hand warmers are the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by eagle937 View Post
    I've personally and know of others that had bad experiences with Ramsey winches. I've gone back to a Warn. The Ramsey does not seem to have any seals to keep water and mud/sediment out from the inside of the case. Bad idea for Alaska with amount of water and bogs you're likely to cross.
    Dave
    The last time i look the Warn are are not seal.

I've got A 2500# Warn Winch and 26" Mudlite XL's on my Suzuki Kingquad 700. 9" Front and 10" back. They work very well and will get you through the mud.

So what pressures are people running on their tires? I've got some 26 Inch ITP XTRS on a KQ 750 I weight about 250 and have another 30 pounds of gear on board. The tires say 7 PSI. I had them around 5.5 PSI today while playing out at Kings River and they seemed to ride alright. But I've also read about people using different pressures for snow, mud, hard pack.

Ideas Thoughts?
    Caramel Joe

J. Wagoner, 5.5 psi should be fine for your quad if your just cruisin and mello. I like to kick up my heals a bit so I run my tire pressure up to spec. I worry about the odd rock or root bending a wheel bead at speed if I hit it wrong. which was the prob I had with my prowler (1100 lbs rig dressed out).

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    The last time i look the Warn are are not seal.
    The new warn winches are sealed. I bought a new 3000# late last fall...what an awesome winch. No comparison to my old 2000 converted to a 2500.

I've got an '06 Honda Rubicon with a 2500# warn winch and 26" ITP Mudlites. With these 2 upgrades I have not had a problem getting through anything. In Low gear my machine does not have a problem turning the tires in any mud hole. I would stay away from radial tires unless you are planning on riding on mostly good hard trails. The radial tires ride better, but will not perform as well in mud holes or rougher trails (from my understanding). I would not go any larger than 1" over the stock tires or you start robbing yourself of power. Just my 2 cents...

Default Winch

I would recommend going with a 3000# Warn. I had a 2500# Warn on my 660 Grizz and I stripped all the internal gears (not using it for what it was intended I guess) I went to the 3000# and it operates smoother, and have not had any problems with it draining the battery. The wifes 660 still has the 2500# and it is giving me some problems, and making noise, dont think it will last much longer. As far as tires, from experience, I would go with 1" over stock, in all directions. I personally like the Titan 589's over the ITP. Diversified Tire in Wasilla carry the Titan's.
    Last edited by Noble Killer; 05-29-2009 at 16:11. Reason: add more
    -Caleb-

Default well...

Kenda K538 Executioners (# 1 tire sold by dennis kirt) all kinds of traction,with rim guard built in..( i'm running 4 psi on a set of 26's.. 700kq )stay the same height and go wide 9/10's" in front 12" rear and u will be the leader of the pac
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Tires

I have not tried these tires, but they look wicked. Maybe for the wifes machine.

http://traxms.com/ATV-Tires-Mud_ALL_...ilverback.html
    -Caleb-

Default Tires Look Wicked

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Killer View Post
    I have not tried these tires, but they look wicked. Maybe for the wifes machine.

http://traxms.com/ATV-Tires-Mud_ALL_...ilverback.html

The tires to look wicked and will probably work well. Personally, lots of folks here have ITP 589s or Mudlites. I prefer to stick close with what works well.

I went from stock 25" tires to ITP 589 27" tires. I think 27" is too big as fenders and other parts rub on occasion. I may go to 26" or back to 25". I also got the axle extender kits from Rocky Mountain ATV. Also got the lift kit when may be part of the problem as well.

On a 500 I would stick to no more than 1" above stock. On my Cat 500's you can really feel loss of oomph when I switched to 2" taller tires. I went back to 1" taller and that was just right. I run MudBugs and love them. A little rougher on the trails because they are a pure mud tire. If I had to do it again I would go to MudLites..they definately ride smoother when not in the mud.

I haven't killed my Warn 2500's yet, but I'm waiting. Once I do it will get a 3000#.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default tires and winches

The first thing we do with our new machines is change the tires and install warn winches.
    Tires, we have been using Titan 589's the same size as stock just better tread. What I like about the Titan 589's is that when they are mounted on the stock rims, the rubber extends past the rim. Thus adding some level of protection from rocks. We removed the cores from a tire and put the cap back on. I was able to ride the four wheeler with all of the air out of the tire. This is a plus if one destroys a tire in the back country. I might not be able to carry much, but I can ride my machine back out.
    I almost 30 years of using winches, we have relied on warn's. Not once have they let us down as long we we worked with-in the sepcs of the winch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast