Thread: Anyone have a 400 with tracks on it

Default Anyone have a 400 with tracks on it

I was in the honda shop looking at new bikes today the dealer has a few 08 420's he is willing to make a deal on.But once we got talking and i metioned i might put tracks on it he said i would be better off with a 500 he said he thinks the 420 may not have enough power for the tracks.I was just wondering if anyone has a 400-450 with tracks that could tell me how they work?

Thanks Dan

How much is he asking? I just bought two 420's down in Idaho and feel like i got a great deal. I also agree that they might have a problem with them but don't know for sure. i also got a 500 foreman with PS. That would be the machine that I would put it on

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBad View Post
    How much is he asking? I just bought two 420's down in Idaho and feel like i got a great deal. I also agree that they might have a problem with them but don't know for sure. i also got a 500 foreman with PS. That would be the machine that I would put it on
    7300 Canadain i have read a bit on the honda forum and most guy's are saying that the new 420's have more low end then the 500 and run just as fast at top end but that is just what i read.how do you find the two compare

I have one of each and agree with the top end but not even close on the low end

By the way, I also got my 420 for $4999 brand new about one month ago. Coeur d'Alene Honda. Don't know if they have any left or not

I've got snow tracks (Kimpex Commanders) for my CanAm 400 Outlander. It does OK, but it is definitely not a speed demon!

With tracks, figure that you're going to cut top speed in half--meaning that you'll have a hard time getting much over 20-25 mph. Even big bore machines don't get much over 30-35 mph on tracks. Also, tracks will cut your fuel mileage in half as well.

Is the Honda carbureted or fuel injected? The place you really pay for a smaller displacement machine on tracks is in the mountains. I took mine to Arctic Man a few years ago (around 6000 ft elevation). To climb some of the hills I had to bring it to a stop, shift into low, and then try to muscle my way up the hill.

In summary, for lower-elevation trail riding, it will be fine. However, when you get out on frozen lake with snowmachines, you'll feel like a moped at the Indy 500!

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    I've got snow tracks (Kimpex Commanders) for my CanAm 400 Outlander. It does OK, but it is definitely not a speed demon!

With tracks, figure that you're going to cut top speed in half--meaning that you'll have a hard time getting much over 20-25 mph. Even big bore machines don't get much over 30-35 mph on tracks. Also, tracks will cut your fuel mileage in half as well.

Is the Honda carbureted or fuel injected? The place you really pay for a smaller displacement machine on tracks is in the mountains. I took mine to Arctic Man a few years ago (around 6000 ft elevation). To climb some of the hills I had to bring it to a stop, shift into low, and then try to muscle my way up the hill.

In summary, for lower-elevation trail riding, it will be fine. However, when you get out on frozen lake with snowmachines, you'll feel like a moped at the Indy 500!
    The new 420's are efi and the say they have more snap then the old carb models