Thread: fishing talkeetna mainstem

Default fishing talkeetna mainstem

I was wondering if anyone has fished the main stem of the Talkeetna early in the year, like end of april/beginning of may, when it is still running clear. If so where have you fished? Have you been successful? And what have you used?....Also I have this idea of ATV'ing into an upper tributary in November and floating out to the landing in town over 2 days and fishing. Does anyone know how the lower river is around this time? I know the fishing can be good but in anybody's opinion would the lower 7-10 miles be floatable in a 14ft otter?

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    I have this idea of ATV'ing into an upper tributary in November and floating out to the landing in town
    the river is typically not floatable in November, and if the river hasn't locked up too tight to float there'll probably be so much slush in the river it'll make fishing difficult...but if you get lucky with a late winter and the river is open then give it a go, you'll have a good time...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I'd bet the best fishing is when the light gets off the water the pink and chum fry will start schooling up and moving. Flesh flies will probably pick up fish too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Talkeetna River

It usually gets real skinny in November. But, Like stated before, depending mother nature, it may work for ya.

I have never seen the river floatable/fishable in November. Mid october should be ok though. I've ran into some pretty big schools of Dollies in years past in October and did great with various bead colors. There is also pretty of dark silvers in early October. May is not bad after breakup with smolt patterns. You need to get there before the glacier starts to melt and dirty up the water.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    I have never seen the river floatable/fishable in November.
    It is rare but....

First pic is November 3rd 2007 and the second is November 24, 2007

pull my finger....

TJM,
    I guess, I should have asked what section of the river we are talking about. How far up were you? Did you get past where the Sheep dumps in or is the picture below Clear creek?

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    TJM,
    I guess, I should have asked what section of the river we are talking about. How far up were you? Did you get past where the Sheep dumps in or is the picture below Clear creek?
    The early november trip we went a little ways past Sheep river, not quite to disappointment...

The late November trip we stopped at Sheep River...

That was a freaky late winter though, you are correct it is usually not like that...we ran the boat until Dec 8th that year...

Funny thing is we had to put the boat away the first week of October last fall........last spring we had the boat out on March 30th and this year is snowed on March 30th...lol...You win some and lose some I guess...we're definitely losing this spring...it just can't seen to heat up fast enough...

the boat is getting a new steel sleeve this weekend, once I get that finished I'll really be antsy to get out...lol
    pull my finger....

Well that explains it. My place is at Larson Creek and I didn't make it up fall of 07 or 08. Like I said, I've never seen it open like that late. I used to drop a zodiac in with a little jet and zoom around up there but never past october.

How's the fishing at Larson that time of year. If i didn't have a boat would it be worth going in just to fish the confluence and the surrounding area?

Default Not worth the trip for just fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    How's the fishing at Larson that time of year. If i didn't have a boat would it be worth going in just to fish the confluence and the surrounding area?

The trail is pretty rough and rutted. You run the chance of getting stuck back there if a snow storm hits. Lucky I had a Polaris ranger 6x6 one year. The fishing is spotty at best. Now if you had a boat you can run around a bit and get into some decent fishing. The only reason that I am in there is to get away and work on the place.