Thread: DO bears like water

Default DO bears like water

Hey just planing where to put up my bait do bears have any problems coming into a bait thats in marshy area?

Exclamation

Wet bear hides are three times as heavy! Just so you know...

Taylor

-[]------->

As to your question, if there is food in the water, yes Bear do like water. And Yep they are heavy when wet, especially if you have to sking them in the water, seems the fat likes to soak up water too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well wet hides aside...

do bears like water.. yes...

should you bait in it??? probably NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

few trains of thought here.

bears like cool damp places, they will pull the moss up during the warm of the day to make a cool bed. they will walk through mud and such. but will not wade if dry ground is avalible... they stick to the higher sides of the ATV ruts etc to keep out of the water when possible.

bait sites can be in a swampy area. i would find a dry knoll to set it up. if your feet get wet standing there not such a great spot. not to mention the spillage. and if you contaminate the water you will have to clean it up. the food will be wet and spoil faster. they came to smelly things but wont eat bad things. they like to feel secure. does your spot have that feeling? is it so wet that blood will wash away if you have to track one.

there is a large difference between swamp and tundra as well. need a good alder patch of in the tundra areas and set up there. little higher and dryer...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I had a young bear attempt to jump across a creek to come to our bait. He gave himself away with a big splash.

Last summer I watched a brownie chase a couple ducks out into the ocean until she was about 100 yards off shore and the ducks finally flew away... so yeah, they "like" water and will hunt for food in water... but like a previous caller said...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default About

About five years ago I was out in the sound with a friend fishing. I spotted something in the water so grabbed the binos. It was a sow with a cub on her back. They made it about 100 yards from an island to the mainland before the cub fell off. With only about 50 yards to go, and with a balling cub, she grabbed it by the neck and took it back to the island. Why she did not continue the shorter distance I'll never know. They do swim well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default thanks

thanks for all the replies. Im not sure if the spot im planning on baiting, is under water its all ice right now not sure how it will melt and dry. It might be part of the river or might just be snow melting and freezing. I have a few back up spots, though.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    thanks for all the replies. Im not sure if the spot im planning on baiting, is under water its all ice right now not sure how it will melt and dry. It might be part of the river or might just be snow melting and freezing. I have a few back up spots, though.

Look at the trees growing on it... stunted tiny black spruce is a wetter area, Popular and willow surrounded by black spruce is a great spot. the bears like to get up on the higher parts to bed down for the day.. they like the tight fitting brush... and find some moose trails... we had a few threads about locations here a bit back.. you can search up. but follow the game trails to a Natural clearing about 20 yards in diameter... and set up there.. the bears will follow the moose and other game trails, the ones that converge into the clearing will be your best bets.... i would wait till runoff is done before putting out scents as they will just wash away.. but as the snow leaves... is a great time to scout.. the game trails are packed down and take longer to melt off. making white lines through the trees easy to follow and mark you trail in and out.. also.. try to determine which direction YOU will come in and where the BEARS will come in.. leave a back door for both.. Blackies like to have that escape route especially when the Griz start to visit... if your along a creek or river.... move in off the bank 50-200 yards and find the main game trail.. they follow the water.. but NOT along side it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post

spend some time in this thread....http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=46382

meet on face book here

Must have missed that post Vince. Thanks for linking it. good reading; made my itch more of a rash to get out there again.