Thread: Zodiac with 10hp in the River Mouth Kasilof and Kenai

Default Zodiac with 10hp in the River Mouth Kasilof and Kenai

In thinking about the upcoming season I would like to dipnet from my sport inflatable. I have a 10 hp on a 12 foot boat. I have often wanted to inflate at the mouth of the Kasilof and lauch but I think I would rather carry down near the ramp in Kenai and launch. I was wondering what opinions would be on this set up in the Kenai (12 foot inflatable and 10hp engine). Image two of us with minimum gear can get around good but slow in the river. Any thoughts, also could I avoid the wait but just carrying the boat near the launch, which reminds me I need some launch wheels - any suggestions on where to find them would be great.

Thanks

I think a 10 hp on a 12 foot boat may be kind of iffy. Two people with minimal gear might be able to buzz up and down river yet again you might not be able to get up on step and just be plowing through the water. This could be problematic trying to get back up river.

Years ago a friend and I went up the 20 Mile River with a 8.5 foot zodiac and a 10 hp motor. We could get it up on step if we really worked at it. Adding more gear and a bunch of fish in the boat may make it less than practical.

You might try a dry run earlier in the year when other boats aren't around to see how practical your ideas is.

Good luck.

years ago we dipped the kenai in a 10 foot avon and a 5 horse w/ 4 people slow but worked fine, marita carries the wheels

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    In thinking about the upcoming season I would like to dipnet from my sport inflatable. I have a 10 hp on a 12 foot boat.
    Gotta be a 4-stroke or a DFI to dipnet on the Kenai.

couple years ago we dipped at kasilof in an 18' cataraft with a heavy frame and a 9.9 2 stroke...4 adult males and 140 fish later we came into shore...

we fished at the mouth, the runs back upstream took quite a while just barging against the current, as the boat got heavier from the fish they took longer and longer..toward the end, guys walking on the beach were passing us...lol...we were by far the slowest boat on the water...so I'm sure it would be quite doable in your setup, just can't get in a hurry...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....