Thread: PWS Moose hunt?

Default PWS Moose hunt?

I've done most of my hunting in the interior, mostly GMU 20, but now I live in Wasilla and I'm looking to change things up a bit. My dad and brother are coming up this fall for a moose/brown bear hunt, and we're looking at renting a boat and hunting PWS for moose. Normally I'd hunt inland for moose, but I no longer have a river boat, and my dad doesn't have the stamina or strength for long hikes up steep hills. Once we hunt PWS for 4-5 days, we planned on heading inland for bear, but at that point my dad would be more of a camp hangout, and wouldn't be doing any strenuous hiking.

How about it? Has anyone here hunted PWS for moose? I'm not asking for secret hideouts, family treasures or GPS coordinates (although any would be gratefully accepted), but I want to make sure I don't spend good money on a boat and fuel to ride around PWS looking at the pretty mountains. I feel pretty confident I could fill a few deer tags and probably a black bear tag, but I'm more concerned with ensuring my dad and brother have luck, as this is probably the last time all three of us will ever hunt together. Any suggestions, advice or guidance would be appreciated, and any alternative suggestions gladly entertained.

Thanks,

Adam

honestly I have never heard of too much moose hunting going in in PWS.

nope, PWS is not known as a moose hotspot, that's for sure.
    lots of pretty mountains, but they are not particularly good moose habitat.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Cordova?

I do believe some wide antlered moose are taken up some rivers near Cordova. It is probably a jet boat show and may require a draw permit. I would start with their area biologist.

Default Never heard

I have never heard of any moose on PWS. Yes, Cordova has a draw hunt. But cruising PWS for moose is not going to be productive. I have never even seen a dropping out there, anywhere.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've hunted PWS quite a few times and have covered a lot of area. I remember seeing one cow moose in 10 or 11 trips. It would not be my first choice but you never know. I've never personally seen a brown bear over there either. Lots of blacks though.

My understanding is that the head of Kings Bay is one of the only places that holds a small population of moose in the Western Sound.

Cordova and the Copper River Delta are supposed to have some decent moose hunting. I think people using airboats have the best success over there.

I'll assume you have looked at the reg book. There must be some moose in GMU 6b as the whole sub unit is a "moose controlled use area". Access looks costly for someone who doesn't live in Cordova, tho.
    As far as bear, wasn't that pic of the supposed monster bear that went around the internet a year or 2 ago taken on Hichinbrook?
    For a guy who lives in Wasilla, I would think there would be more economical, greater success areas for moose/griz than unit 6.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My understanding is that the head of Kings Bay is one of the only places that holds a small population of moose in the Western Sound.
    SSSSHHHHHH!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    SSSSHHHHHH!
    HEY.............yea, the head of Kings bay is fairly small. You practically gave the guy GPS coord's for a hunting area. Looks like you'll have to be on Bushrats ignore list now! hAHAHAHA.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

id stick your efforts to black bear and deer in pws, as well as enjoying some of the great fishing that can be found near stream mouths and off points...ive hunted deer with friends out there for years now, and we've never seen a moose....ever...if you look at the country closely, youll see there just isnt much to offer for moose, and the winters would offer even less...very few willows and alders and moose browse...cmon, you can find better moose hunting right in wasilla...maybe for your dad you should try late in the season with tree stands along the big su, little su, or matanuska/knik rivers

Default Whittier

There are a few moose that make their way to Whittier. I've seen the evidence. But from what my friends who live there tell me, they don't last long.

Once in a while a moose from the Copper River Delta swims over to Hinchinbrook also. They usually stay on the east end of the island and I don't think they last very long either. There are moose around Valdez, but good luck finding any by boat. And the Rude River in Nelson Bay near Cordova has a few. I'm sure there are a few between Cordova and Valdez, but the emphasis is on few. Few areas of moose habitat of any kind. For the amount of gas you'll burn the odds are, you won't see a moose let alone shoot one.

Default Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers

Take the rental money and put it on an air charter to a lake or river.
    Or a float trip. I bet he could sit on a good raft while you boys made camp.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Rent some wheelers and do the denali highway. Bears moose you name it sure you'll see people but that has never stopped us from getting moose.

PWS - moose - Copper River Delta

Default Thanks all

I appreciate the info, and hopefully Brian doesn't end up on an ignore list. I think I'm going to look to the interior for a bit of fairly level land that we can all get around on. I'm sure there are a few places that will fit the time frame and access requirements. I'm not adverse to the Denali Highway, but I've never had good luck there and I don't particularly care to compete with other hunters for the same stretch of woods.

I'm thinking that a river boat might be a better rental choice than an ocean boat, and that opens a lot of options, both coastal and interior...

Thanks Again,

Adam