Thread: 454 Casull Levergun- Heavy Boolits, Trim Length, Crimp Groove, OAL, Cycling, etc.

Question 454 Casull Levergun- Heavy Boolits, Trim Length, Crimp Groove, OAL, Cycling, etc.

So I've been working up some loads for the 454 Puma 92. I have determined that with CP WLN 335 or 360 gr boolits the Puma wants the OAL to be 1.750-1.755. It cycles em like butter with that big metplate, slow or fast. But, In order for the case mouth to line up with the crimp groove I have to trim the case to 1.365. My question concerns trim length. I read specs/load data that show different trim lengths. FA shows 1.365, Hogden says 1.380, I've also seen 1.375. My Starline brass after sizing is 1.373-1.380. I am loading with H-110,min and max loads using Hodgon data, which is the same as CP data. Visually it looks like with my brass at 1.365 with min and max loads there is still room in the case. I don't think I'm compressing the load with my brass trimmed to 1.365. Any input...comments regarding min and max trim length? If it's too short can't it cause higher pressure? Am I good to go?

I'd like to hear from others on this as well, but realistically, you are only talking a couple of hundredths of an inch here ...not much. I can't see it being an issue.

Brian