Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Buying a new ATV.

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4

    Default Buying a new ATV.

    Does anyone know where I can buy a new 2009 Yamaha 450 Grizzly, camo? (And not get ripped off ) . I live in Anchorage but dont have problem traveling for a good price. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Anchorage Yamaha is selling the 09's that were delivered prior to Jan 09 at prices less than the retail price on the Yamaha website. Ask to see their stock that delivered prior to January, that's what I did on my 09 550 with EPS.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    108

    Default

    I don't know about the 450 but Heather at Alaska House of Yamaha (Big Lake Yamaha) offered to sell me a 09 Grizzly 550 (non-EPS) with a 2500 # winch and hand and thumb warmers (I install the winch and warmers) out the door loaded on my trailer for $7016. It is by far the best deal I could find between Anchorage, Wasilla and Big Lake. I got a 2008 700 Grizzly w/EPS last year out there for $978 less then Anchorage price and $650 less then Wasilla. I don't have her number right now but look it up and give her a call she will smoke any other deal you can get.

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4

    Smile

    Thank you jupiterak. I will definately check them out.

  5. #5

    Default

    Be sure to tell one dealer what the other is offering and usually they will match or beat the price. I went to Anchorage Yamaha and they told me to call Big Lake Yamaha as Big Lake was selling the Rhino's for cheaper. They told me to a written quote and they would match it. In the end I bought it from Big Lake Yamaha.

    Steve

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default Craigslist.com

    craigslist.com is the answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by teeny023 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy a new 2009 Yamaha 450 Grizzly, camo? (And not get ripped off ) . I live in Anchorage but dont have problem traveling for a good price. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  7. #7
    Member WaterWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    411

    Default

    I've been looking for a 550 eps, but HAVEN"T found a dealer even willing to talk about prices, they just keep shoving the standard Yamaha retail invoice in my face. Heck one even said "Don't like my price, try to do better some where else." My second choice is a Honda and heck I might just go that route if the customer service is better.

  8. #8
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Hold out for a Grizzly is my advice. Some of the ATV magazines did some good comparisons and the best quote I remember is when one guy said, "If I were any of Honda's competitors, I'd be ticked that people even buy Honda's anymore. What people give up to get the reliability of Honda is enormous." He was speaking about the fact that Honda still has a straight rear end, chain drive, pushbutton shifting, etc. that all the other mfrs. have moved away from to more advanced equipment.

    I've seen several Grizzlies advertised on CraigsList and AlaskaList that have very few miles so you might consider a low mileage used rig. A lot of times people buy the 450 and then decide they want to upsize to the 700 right away.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  9. #9
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    I've been looking for a 550 eps, but HAVEN"T found a dealer even willing to talk about prices, they just keep shoving the standard Yamaha retail invoice in my face. Heck one even said "Don't like my price, try to do better some where else." My second choice is a Honda and heck I might just go that route if the customer service is better.

    i never thought i would ever hear some one say Honda was a second choice....

    you still get the good ol Honda. there may be some faster, some with better mileage, some with more comfort.

    none will beat that reliability... and i ride them all, ride with them all, my number ONE rule is NO belt drives. they are great for the first two years. but a few times in and out of the belt housing. and things start to seep in. and require a tow job when least expected.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  10. #10
    Member chapman8523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Have you tried to deal with Yamaha out of Wasilla. Originally I was going to buy a 550 Grizzly here in Anchorage but the customer service was horrible. I called the Wasilla dealer and they were great from the start. I purchased a 2008 Grizzly 700 with aftermarket rims and tires cheaper than an 2009 550 in Anchorage. They were also were willing to deal not just throw a price in your face. It has been a great machine so far and would buy another. Good luck!!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Hold out for a Grizzly is my advice. Some of the ATV magazines did some good comparisons and the best quote I remember is when one guy said, "If I were any of Honda's competitors, I'd be ticked that people even buy Honda's anymore. What people give up to get the reliability of Honda is enormous." He was speaking about the fact that Honda still has a straight rear end, chain drive, pushbutton shifting, etc. that all the other mfrs. have moved away from to more advanced equipment.

    I've seen several Grizzlies advertised on CraigsList and AlaskaList that have very few miles so you might consider a low mileage used rig. A lot of times people buy the 450 and then decide they want to upsize to the 700 right away.
    Straight axle models are made by all the manufacturers, not just Honda, same with the pushbutton shifting and Honda's is about the best out there. Chain drive on a Honda utility? No way, they are all shaft drive and have been for a very long time, to be honest, i've never seen a chain driven utility Honda 4 wheeler. That clown in that magazine hasn't been doing his homework, there's no way I should no more about these features than him. My ride of choise is Honda but i've ridden a lot of different bikes and they all have their weak spots. Yamaha is second on my list next to Honda and if Honda doesn't get with the program soon and build a Foreman with IRS I will buy a Grizz or King Quad.

  12. #12
    Member ArcherFig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Check out Wasilla on the way out to Big Lake, either of those were friendly and in my opinion good deals. Just my 2 cents

  13. #13
    Member WaterWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Vince, I like the Grizz for its clearance and weight pulling, over the Honda thats it.

    The first one that seemed not to have an inclination to deal was Wasilla.

    My last attempt for a new Grizz will be with the big lake shop listed above, as they weren't open when I w s there and they didn't return my calls, but I'll check with them again.

    I'm not looking for a steal just, a decent price, and not a rip off.

  14. #14
    Member J.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I just bought my 700 grizz from Anchorage. What an awesome machine! They were way less expensive than Wasilla. Go talk to "Squeeks" - Older dude close to retiring. He will give you a good price. The Wasilla guys were nice but they were unwilling to come down.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default gotta love that grizz

    I do mine. You need to watch out to not shred your tires when on sharp stones, there's so much power there you can spin'm anytime you floor it...

    And the only problem I had, I found out its just a break in thing... that's a badly sticky shifter - I'd recommend against removing the safety systems (where you have to press the brake to shift) like some online posts say. Just work with it until you have a few hundred miles on it and that problem will go away.

    I guess the other downside is that if you have kids this ATV is just too powerful for them to drive; at least I think so.

    The fuel injection and power steering work wonderfully. How great to be in 4wd diff lock and have easy steering!

    I have a Polaris 330 for the wife and kids and though it weighs the same as the grizz, it seems like a toy compared to it when you drive them. But great for the putt putt wife, and the kids that need some limits. Its top speed is 42; the grizz got up to 60 mph and then I slowed down.


    Quote Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
    I just bought my 700 grizz from Anchorage. What an awesome machine! They were way less expensive than Wasilla. Go talk to "Squeeks" - Older dude close to retiring. He will give you a good price. The Wasilla guys were nice but they were unwilling to come down.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fort Irwin, CA
    Posts
    17

    Default 2009 Yamaha 550 EPS

    Try Yamaha Junction in Delta. Got mine with a winch for $7500 out the door. Not a "great" deal, but a decent price in my book.

    Can anyone recommend a place to buy som ITP Mudlites/589's in Fairbanks?

  17. #17
    Member byrd_hntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Squarebanks
    Posts
    661

    Default Good luck

    Quote Originally Posted by gvb55 View Post
    Try Yamaha Junction in Delta. Got mine with a winch for $7500 out the door. Not a "great" deal, but a decent price in my book.

    Can anyone recommend a place to buy som ITP Mudlites/589's in Fairbanks?

    Check out my post here:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=53278&page=2

    The Fun Center is way over priced in my book. I have not look anywhere else.

  18. #18
    Member raoul duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    65

    Default honda second?

    i inherited an 83 big red, and in comparison to my 06 ranchers was stunned at all the identical parts. brakes, rear diff and axle, throttle assembly, pedals and many other small parts. if its still workin after 26 years i dont feel like im tradin much off for a solid axle and no power steering. come on how much automotive style garbage do we really want on our wheelers? im not necessarily batting for the honda brand, but they were the only machine i could order with electronic NOTHING! i will say though they have performed flawlessly for me and i happily yield to the faster machines on the trail, carrying all that extra gas.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Question Atv == ati?

    Lib,

    One is a fun vehicle you drive and the other is a video card for your computer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •