Thread: 12 degree delta pad - depth to get on step?

Question 12 degree delta pad - depth to get on step?

With regard to a 20 or 21 foot long, 12 degree delta pad hull with a Sportjet, such as a Outlaw Eagle Bobcat or Motion Marine type hull, loaded with a typical 1000 lbs payload and full fuel tank:

How much water do you need to get on step?
    (Motion Marine told me 2-feet)

How much draft at rest? (I guess about 9")

Can you putter off step through 9" of water without sucking gravel and sand into the system?

Reason for queston is I am trying to decide if better big water performance of the 12-degree delta pad is worth the loss of shallow water performance compared to an 8-degree such as the Jetcraft XS.......

Like many others, I am of course am looking for the "all purpose boat"......

The all purpose boat is found in 2 boats unfortunately. Most of us can't have that so we have to chose one between the pros and cons.
    I can't give you exact measurements but based on how my boat performs I would say 2' is the minimum to jump on step. 9" is probably accurate as far as draft but I would not plan on puttering around that shallow. You will start sucking up the bottom.

I run a 18' / 12 degree / 16" wide / 71" bottom width / 240 SJ

With 27 gal of fuel / bass fishn' gear / Bow mount troll mtr / 2 troll batts / on board batt charger / 450 pounds of fisherman.....

I need @10" to float / @ 18" to plane

Default sport jon

The more I play and learn about the phantom 20-06, the less water I need, but I don't have an exact. It isn't much. I was getting on step in some pretty shallow weedy water earlier this summer. I keep learning more and more as I drive it and all I can tell you is that it is scary the places that it will get you and the trouble it can get you in!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    The more I play and learn about the phantom 20-06, the less water I need, but I don't have an exact. It isn't much.
    But that is a 7 degree hull. With a 12 degree 2' is not far off the mark. You might get it done in 18" with the right conditions. You mentioned a XS, I have one and it will take off in less than a foot. I have taken off in much less than a foot when I had no choice but you do chance sucking a few rocks.

Forgot to type 16" delta pad in my earlier post.....