Thread: Looking for a nice river boat..what do you think about this one?

Default Looking for a nice river boat..what do you think about this one?

Its kinda pricey but i took a look at, as well as a few others yesterday. I just cant stop thinking about this one. Tell me what you guys think on the price and everything or just about the boat in general and what rivers you would run with it. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1088354478.html

Thanks everybody for their input. if the link doesnt work go to craigslist and search JET 4.3 and you should come up with it.

Default Not a bad set-up

Daw,
    I have watched this boat for the past few month's there on craigslist (i was shopping an ocean boat for a few months). The guy has come down on the price since he first put it up. The engine has very low hours, if it only has 93. It is nicely set-up and looks like it was well maintained. I would assume you agree after seeing it or you wouldn't still be interested. Maybe i'm not great at pricing (although i think im alright), but i think thats a just above to fair price for that boat for the details given. Either way you have to make sure it is what you need for what your going to be doing then get a survey (foot stomp) to confirm the asking price! Good luck

David

Makes me tempted to sell mine and pick it up. If it is well taken care of I think you will be happy with it. Harborcraft has a pretty good reputation, they are the same company as jetcraft who makes the extreme shallow series.

Default Depends on what you want

Really, this is the question. If your wanting to take a few folks to the Deshka and back a few times a year then not a bad deal. It is a nice boat from the pic's and the write up.

But, if your wanting to hunt with it, or haul a lot of stuff, then the motor and jet are not the best choice. Not bad, but not the best choice.

Comes down to price. If this price is on your top end then it will get you started and you can do a good bit with this boat. One thing is it is lighter given the V6 over the V8, but I can assure you, you'll wish you had more power every now and then. Usually only when you really need it...

Good luck in your choice.
    Tony

Couple of questions I would be interested in - Why did it need new exhaust manifolds and water lines with only 93 hours - Were they frozen and cracked or what was the reason?

Is the bow self bailing or does it drain in the boat? Can't tell in the picture.

Other than that it looks like a good set up for local rivers, lakes, and shorter trips. Doesn't appear to have the horse power, jet, or fuel capacity to provide the carrying capacity for long hauls. Just my opinion and I sure others will have their own.

Default Lujon....

Now LUJON if your in the market let me know.. I will have a 95 hewescrat with the 350 inboard thats about to go up for sale in the same price range. I have not broken it out yet (shrink wrapped), but i will in a few weeks. I will post it with pics etc. when the time comes..

David

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Really, this is the question. If your wanting to take a few folks to the Deshka and back a few times a year then not a bad deal. It is a nice boat from the pic's and the write up.

But, if your wanting to hunt with it, or haul a lot of stuff, then the motor and jet are not the best choice. Not bad, but not the best choice.

Comes down to price. If this price is on your top end then it will get you started and you can do a good bit with this boat. One thing is it is lighter given the V6 over the V8, but I can assure you, you'll wish you had more power every now and then. Usually only when you really need it...

Good luck in your choice.
    Well said and would like to add something myself. Not saying if the low hours are correct or not but it is very easy to disconnect the one wire going to an hour meter. If the hours are correct then I would be concerned because bad things happen to big toys that are not used enough. If the hours are correct this boat only averaged one or two trips a year. How well was it taken care of between trips?
    Could be a great find for someone wanting a boat for the occassional day fishing trip. I wouldnt jump on it without a test run of a couple of hours.
    Tennessee

Tell us what you are going to use it for how many people you want to carry ect.. ect.. We could get better idea if it will serve your purpose.+1 to what raven said i caught that to 93 hrs and new manifolds,?? that not a good sign,Was it overheated or froze up?? +1 To what tzieli22 said also,About the size and motor set up, Do a search on the 309 pump,It was built more for speed than hauling,There is a lot of info out there on this. It would be good, for you, the wife and kid,Short trips, Good gas milage,It is a pretty little boat..Be honest with your self and what you want to haul and how far you want to go..There are all good ,if you keep them within what they are designed to do.http://www.boatingsportsman.com/ spend some time with link also could learn a bunch more , for your choice.
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 04-05-2009 at 11:34. Reason: more

Default thanks a lot guys.

i would be using it for mostly taking a couple buddys out and going fishing, maybe even a moose but from what you guys are saying it may not take a big load. This is a stupid question but would it be dumb to take this on the little su. Im new to the river boating but not new to boating as my family has a 24' bayliner and i enjoy ocean fishing, but have wanted a river boat for the past couple years. ill have to ask him about the manifolds, and everything else you guys took into consideration..thanks again for all the input

It would haul couple buddys and gear, But you got a moose, just make two trips. Yes, it would go up down the little Sue,However its very winding river and lots of people now a days,I Do Not Run Any of my Boats there anymore, Pay a Charter for a trip with someone else, Well worth the money spent for learning, where to go and how to get there, Good Luck in your choices See ya out there.

I would have to agree with rambling raven. Seems like low hours for all the motor stuff. I have a 309 on my tub with ( with a 350) with 6 people and gear. She will strugle a little getting on step but once there the 309 does fine for me. my$0.02 Its all matter of finding the "sweet" spot with the 309
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

What about a stomp grate? Digging out the grate on an inboard can really suck. I have had NUMEROUS mishaps on other boats without a stomp grate. This is a huge plus for the outboard, it is easy to fix WHEN (not if) you try boating in dry water. See you on the Deshka, along with the rest of AK.

Personally, I think you should get something like this:

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1113613447.html

It meets everyone's requirements; you can haul a lot of fuel for moose hunting, run it with confidence on the Sue, and it even has a stomp grate to make DaveD happy!

Jim

Just a quick comment, if you are new to river boating you will probably have more fun and learn quicker in a 17 footer rather than a 21 foot boat. Besides, and trust me on this one, a lighter boat is much easier to pry off of a gravel bar.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Just a quick comment, if you are new to river boating you will probably have more fun and learn quicker in a 17 footer rather than a 21 foot boat. Besides, and trust me on this one, a lighter boat is much easier to pry off of a gravel bar.

Rascal,
    I couldn't agree more. Why start out with a big boat like that. Pick up a good little flattie and jet, run it for year or so. Learn the rivers, learn boating in general, and upgrade from there. You pick up alittle boat and bust it up, your out less money. Also easier to move if stuck, and once ready to upgrade, you'll be able to sell a little flattie pretty easy. Nice 18 ft flattie with a 60/40. You'll be on the water, be able to haul a good load, and won't have a million dollars into it.

Default Kinda fishy...

I read the add and it sounds like there was alot of make up work done to that boat to get it to sell.
    First id say I need to test drive it for a day.
    Then get all your good friends and load it up with them to see how it handles. Remember to take only good buddies though cause you may need some help. If you like it after a day then you'll know weather or not to buy it.