Thread: anchor line cutter

Default anchor line cutter

There was a thread about anchoring and having a knife to cut a snagged line. I saw a line cutter in a sail magazine that was a handle about 2'-3' long and a V shaped notched cutter. Something you could reach forward with without risking going overboard. It was in cruising mag.

Default Knife

I have always had at least two knives in sheaths taped to a railing in the bow of the boat and another in the stern. Keep em sharp, I'd rather buy a new anchor and line than the consequences. Not a bad idea to rig up a knive that can go on the end of a halibut harpoon to reach out without going over or close to the edge.

Default Knife

One word for the right knife for the job.

Victorinox

Miss Vicki gets the job done fast.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    One word for the right knife for the job.

Victorinox

Miss Vicki gets the job done fast.

Which one (model number) as there are a bunch of Victorinox knives.

I would go serrated, like this one:

You can pick them up at B&J here in Anchorage. B&J's also sell some heavier serrated knives that fit my hand better. I have two of them mounted on my boat. Cheap, sharp, and they serve their purpose well.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default diposable but invaluable...

I opted for the sharpest, cheapest knife I could find. B&J happened to have a bucket full for a few dollars each. I bought three... One mounted on the bow and one on each side of the stern.

I found the key issue being they must be out of the way but right at hand. The ones I bought are not stainless but I keep them wiped w/ oil.

I like the cheap ones because it's only a matter of time before I drop one over board (which has happened) or somebody walks by my boat and snags anything not bolted down.

I've never had to free a stuck anchor but I have had to cut a snagged halibut line before we lost either a whole spool or a "light weight" fisherman... They also work great for cutting gills, bleeding the fish and then gutting the fish before bringing them in the boat.

I consider these knives as disposable... BUT INVALUABLE...

here's one that clips right on to the suspenders of your raingear, its a victornox knife with a oversize sticky rubber handle, it hangs handle down off the suspenders so you can quick draw it if its needed and the blade is going away from your face when drawn. I happen to know where you can find them !!
    fishermans knife.png

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder makes a good point about keeping one on your person at all times. I did that as a set netter one summer. It's also a good idea to have the little Victorinox knives stashed around the boat for anyone to grab in times of need.

I once almost had to use one while working a set net site and man's foot was wrapped by an anchor line. I was about 1 seconds from cutting the line when he finally worked his foot free. He was starting to go over the side!

One thing to consider is the knives can be dropped overboard or even break. I had a blade snap off a Victorinox once. Back up knives are smart to have around for everyone.

Last edited by Lowranger; 04-06-2009 at 13:01. Reason: wrong product

Quote Originally Posted by Lowranger View Post
    Looks much like the Wyoming Knife
    http://www.wyomingknife.com/knives.htm
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default Cutting edge

This is a great thread. Things happen quickly when out on the water and in life in general. I always have knives readily available both on my belt and both port and starboard sides of the stern.

Two examples
    First always have a knife, when not in use stowed safely i.e. scabbard or sheathed. Explanation for said statement,things breakout quickly and the knife hits the deck. Your to preoccupied by landing that trophy fish, when that blood curdling scream blows out. You then realize, your buddy has hit the deck with that Victorinox sticking out of his Extra-tuffs and buried to the handle as he lays in agony. The man nearly lost his foot because of the bacteria on the blade. True story, just not mine.

Second, having a knife readily available. Out halibut fishing and drifting, your gear gets hung on the bottom. Not able to pull loose, you put the reel into free spool then take the slackened line and wrap-it around the stern cleat. It breaks free and the once tight line goes slack, you begin to unhitch the line from the cleat. As you undo the last half-hitch the line tangles around your fingers and is still hung on the bottom. It begins to tighten and your finger begin to turn that nice red color. Reach down, grab the blade and cut. I own this one.

Sharp knives and sharper minds, will get you home.

Here in Florida we do a lot of reef/wreck fishing ..Anchor hookups are common. I invented, patented and am now marketing a product called
    Anchor Saver.(anchorsaver.com). Most of us for years have used wire ties to release stuck anchors .. Anchor Saver takes the guess work out of the process by the use of a shear pin designed to break at a predetermined load for different size boats. In addition it acts as a swivel and seats the anchor to the bow pulpit.
    My question is are stuck anchors a routine problem for you?

Default Cutters...

One other thing that should be mentioned, I also carry a Gerber car seat belt cutters strapped to my Zodiac. I have one on each side in the event that we need the emergency vessel right now. It's also a V shaped non-puncture device that can be purchased for about 6.00. The last thing I want is to deal with ratchet tie downs during an emergency.

Default knives

I can vouch for Steve's (potbuilders) knives, cheap and will go through a rope like butter, I saw him at the sports show yesterday and bought another one, well, just because, even though he tried to talk me out of it and said to just replace the blade on my old one. Good guy, and good knives. I really like having it clipped upside down on the shoulder strap of my rain gear, very handy.