Thread: Barney's Pack Which One for Various Hunting

Question Barney's Pack Which One for Various Hunting

Was down at the show was thinking of taking advantage of barney's 10% off back packs, but which pack should I choose. I think I have it narrowed down to the Pinnacle and the next size smaller, the Hunter (about 3/4 the size of the pinnacle but with a meat shelf). They said the Hunter is very popular and sell it 10-1 to any other pack.

It will be used for everything, Moose, Caribou, sheep, goats, bear?

The pinnacle is big, but it seemed too big. And I liked the meat shelf on the hunter and easier access to stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by irishlord View Post
    Was down at the show was thinking of taking advantage of barney's 10% off back packs, but which pack should I choose. I think I have it narrowed down to the Pinnacle and the next size smaller, the Hunter (about 3/4 the size of the pinnacle but with a meat shelf). They said the Hunter is very popular and sell it 10-1 to any other pack.

It will be used for everything, Moose, Caribou, sheep, goats, bear?

The pinnacle is big, but it seemed too big. And I liked the meat shelf on the hunter and easier access to stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Personally I have the hunter bag and the barney's frame. I dropped the top bar and meatshelf off the frame as an extra 25 ft of paracord will attacht whatever I want to attacht the frame more secure and for less bulk and weight than the shelf can offer.

Default Ditto on the Hunter

I went to the show for the same reason, to order a pack. I have an internal frame but needed an external to handle more weight and gear for upcoming hunts. The hunter had good pockets and double access for the main compartment. As well as the side rifle holder like the pinnacle has, I was unaware that they had this option on them unlike the back side rifle holders I thought they had, so that was a plus. The pinnacle is more than I could probably care to carry, so I chose the hunter.

P.S. Like you, I liked the idea of keeping the shelf, one guy at the booth made a good point and said you could loosen the shelf and put your sleeping bag between the shelf and frame and sinch it up to save space on the inside.

Default Size does matter

I prefer the biggest pack bag I can get...bigger is better....size does matter.
    For extended backpack sheep or goat "ordeal Hunts", I like the bigger packs.
    For brown bear pelts I like the bigger bag.

First thing I do with each new pack is remove that "alder catcher" top bar, and the shelf. i do not need it even for moose quarters.

The gear forum has a recent thread covering this same question.

dennis
    ak tags

I pulled the trigger today and bought a Barney's frame with a pinnacle pack. Being a newbie I figured do it right the first time and buy the best. Now I just need to find a black bear to fill it up.

Default You're asking, so I'm saying...

Pinnacle. My Pinnacle fits an entire hind quarter of bull moose+, or a sheep and full cape, and plus you have room to haul your camp/hunting gear out. The last thing you need is to be cramped for space on the haul out. The gun sling secures the gun real well and really protects the scope. I'm sure you'll love which ever pack you purchase. Good luck in your decision.

Default In my humble opinion....

Go with the Pinacle. It can hold everything that the Hunter can, plus more. You don't have to fill it just because you have it, and it is much easier to deal with a 3/4 full pack that you can just cinch down tight. The Hunter has some nice pockets but the Pinacle makes up for that with more rifle/bow carry options. I got a shelf from Barney's that I can put on the frame if it suits me although I have never felt the need. The extra space comes in real handy whenever you decide you have to leave or move camp in a hurry, as you can just chuck your entire camp in and boogie. That's quite handy if you happen to get caught in a flash rainstorm just as you're breaking camp.