Thread: Who's Preparing Their Sites?

Default Who's Preparing Their Sites?

Anyone been out too start prepping their bear bait sites yet? Like barrels and stand placement? I am gonna be heading out tomorrow morning if not next weekend snowshoes in hand . Have a few spots want to check out for maybe a new stand.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-05-2009 at 15:17.

To early. I won't be put mine out tell early may. The bears where I bait won't hit it until last week of May
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Setting Up Sites

In my it's never to early to scout out good placement for a site. We will be out scouting ours within the next week. Looking forward to opening day! We set the bait and within hours here they come.
    A few people I have met in the past couple weeks are set just waiting to bait.
    Good Luck
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

I went out yesterday and got all my stuff out in the woods and I'm ready to rock. The bears are going to hit early this year, at least in my area. I just need to wait until opening now to get some bait out there!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my sites are up as of now.. i just need to wait and see what the melt will do.. we are prone to having all of our snow leave at once.... 24-35 hours and the resulting run off can be extrodenary...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Type/Size bait barrel

I am new to this stuff. What size barrel is commonly used and etc. An good places to beg/borrow or steal from? What size cable will be adequate to secure the barrel?

Thanks.

I use the 55 gallon steel drum. Had a metal shop cut a 8 inch or 12inch whole in the lid. Check Craigslist for barrels.
    Never chained it too a tree. Imagine any big chain would work. A friend or mine just ratcheted strapped his to a the tree. I Just put a bunch of logs on the top of mine. Barrel didn't get moved much, till I think a grizz came in a day or two after my buddy shot one and rolled the barrel half way too the creek. Good thing was though it was the last day of the season and i was there cleaning up. the barrel was picked/licked clean.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

chain/ cable should go through the barrel rather then around it. they WILL steal it and you may not find your 55 gallon drum... depends on the bear. took an old pick/ax and punched two holes in the back of all mine and put a small chain through them.

i used to use the ratchet strap. sharp claws fix them to fast...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Size & Type of Barrel

As for us we use a metal 55 gl drums w/ a hole midway. Log chained to a tree, tie downs are too easy for bears to rip. We used a thin cable one year and it looked as if it was cut like butter. I have scented coated barrels for people and everyone is different. Hole placement and metal verses plastic, it all works. If you are looking for a plastic barrel, try a carwash and if you are looking for a metal barrel try Craigslist.
    Good Luck
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Default Nope

With 3 feet of snow on the ground yet it is only a dream to start set-up.

I use heavy plastic buckets (7 gallon), 30 gallon plastic drums and 40 something plastic drums. No browns where I bait so no need for steel. I chain them about 18" off of the ground with one, 1-2" diameter hole in the bottom. That way the bear has to lay down to eat and has to play with the barrel to get food out. Everything stays dry, lots of moisture on PWS to start mold.

This has worked for five years now and has worked well. Chain is the only way to go with as big as bolt that will fit through the chain, some washers and a wing-nut to tighten. Smelly stuff is placed on top of the barrel for elevation and never into the food. (Starts molding the food.)

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default legal question regarding gear

I was in registering my station this week and was told I could not take anything including the tree stand into the field before the 15th. I said "but the regs say no bait till the 15th." The lady said and a customer there at the same time said he knew folks who got tickets last year for setting things up early even though they did not bait. Any gear in the field prior to the 15th is a ticketable offense.

Any thoughts on this??

I've never used a metal drum. Really no reason to. I prefer the 55-gallon poly (the blue ones) drums myself. I also run a chain to secure it to the tree.

Default Regs

The way I understood the regs, you could do everything you needed to, prior to opening. You could not put bait out until opening day.

Big Daddy,

I have a 55 gallon steel drum that is set up for baiting that I would give you. If you can come today you can have it now. If not I will drop you a line next week when I get back from a wedding I have to attend. PM me for details if you want it.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=49490

BigDaddy...if you are new to baiting, this seminar will be right up your alley...free...and good info for beginners for sure. I assure you will take something away from it.

Sportsmans on the 11th at 1pm my friend.

Default Black bears

If you don't want to feed Brown bears hang your bait in a tree at least 20 feet off to ground. After you get a Back bear hitting your baits put your bait in a can on the ground. This will keep most of the brown bears off your baits saving you lots of time and money.
    Good luck

Default Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I was in registering my station this week and was told I could not take anything including the tree stand into the field before the 15th. I said "but the regs say no bait till the 15th." The lady said and a customer there at the same time said he knew folks who got tickets last year for setting things up early even though they did not bait. Any gear in the field prior to the 15th is a ticketable offense.

Any thoughts on this??
    You were told wrong. You may hang stands, pile logs or clear shooting lanes.

You may NOT, take anything in that has a scent: Old baiting barrel, grease, or anything that will affect the olfactory senses of the bear.

That is what we teach in the class and I have a F & G Trooper that works along side me to help with the regulations.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks

Thanks for the clarification Daveinthebush.
    I thought it was a contradiction to the written regulations and I did not get ahold of any troopers to actually ask them.
    Maybe they were being over cautious? Or they misunderstood the question/termonology, but I did ask 3 times.

Default Thank you Dave,

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    You were told wrong. You may hang stands, pile logs or clear shooting lanes.

You may NOT, take anything in that has a scent: Old baiting barrel, grease, or anything that will affect the olfactory senses of the bear.

That is what we teach in the class and I have a F & G Trooper that works along side me to help with the regulations.
    Thank you for the thorough explanation of what can be set-up in advance. I thought about using a previously used barrel but did not consider the scent that might come with it.

Default Just returned

I just got back an hour ago form putting a stand about 10 yards from my bait barrel.. Glassed the hills for a couple hours on the way out and didnt see any bears.. Some tracks in the snow above tree-line.. With the snow conditions and nasty trail up steep hills, I couldnt get as far up the mountain as I would have liked.. Hope by next Sat when I bring some more chow out their something will have found it...