Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any deals at the sportsman show

Default any deals at the sportsman show

seen the arcticle in todays paper and I'm unable to make it to the show, any good deals for charters and if so could you post the company. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    seen the arcticle in todays paper and I'm unable to make it to the show, any good deals for charters and if so could you post the company. Thanks
    charter offering $99 trips in May.

B&J had some halibut rods and power pro line on sale.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 99 dollar charters?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post

B&J had some halibut rods and power pro line on sale.

Can you imagine what kind of desparation would cause a person to giveaway a full day charter for less than cost? If it were me I would make sure I didn't burn any fuel on those trips and that I'd get in very early in the afternoon.....Just sayin.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post

Must be breaking in new captains.....Let the buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post

For $99 as long the boat doesn't sink it would be a good trip.

Default Kenai Drift

Drifters Lodge is offering $25.00/person raft trips from Kenai Lake to Sportsmans --- this is drift only, no fishing---- great idea for those visiting relatives who will be living in my family room from June to August.

Also, they offer $150.00/person all day fishing trips beginning June 11, when the Kenai reopens.

There are $100 halibut charters out of Seward.

Seaman's Adventures has a nice all day charter for a booked six pack including lunch. Glenn Seaman, is a biologist operating with what looks like a nice boat. I booked us a full day for our visiting family of five, tax and all inclusive $668.00 in Homer. Nothing like having your own personal marine biologist to give you a tour of tide pools on the best tides of the year, wild life sanctuaries and the nooks and crannies of Kachemak Bay.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Can you imagine what kind of desparation would cause a person to giveaway a full day charter for less than cost? If it were me I would make sure I didn't burn any fuel on those trips and that I'd get in very early in the afternoon.....Just sayin.....
    i find it hard to believe that some the deep creek charter guys cant make any money charging 99.00 a head. not sure what the tractor launch costs but im pretty sure they arent burning that much fuel. something i am missing?

You're not missing anything... If you book a 6 pack boat at $99 a head, you're taking in $600.00 for the boat. Subtract $50 for the launch, another $100 for gas, and a few bucks for bait, and you're still making decent profit. The theory is that when clients are tough to come by, they'd rather fish for a few hundred bucks than not fish and make zero. It makes total sense when bookings are down as much as 40% for some. I don't blame them one bit, and I don't think it necessarily signifies anything bad about the charter or guide.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Would anyone like to devulge the name of the Charter Service??? I also was unable to attend and I would like to give them a ring....Thanx

if I could get the name of the $100 out of seward, looking for a trip as well for the visiting family. Thanks Steve

Default 10'6" Shimano Cennan $99.00

I know the show's over, but Mountain View had 47 of these left when I checked last night. They might still have some at the store. Great Kenai diver rod. . . Doc and I tested them on the Kenai last July and they performed very well.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    i find it hard to believe that some the deep creek charter guys cant make any money charging 99.00 a head. not sure what the tractor launch costs but im pretty sure they arent burning that much fuel. something i am missing?
    Fuel at 3 .00 - 300.00
    Boat Payment
    Insurance
    Advertising
    Maintenance
    Credit Card processing fees
    Phone Bills
    Bait
    Tackle
    Engine replacement fund
    Deckhand?
    Truck Payment?
    Paid Captain?

The list goes on and one. They might be okay to book a couple of seats at that rate but 600 bucks for a charter is not profitable at all in Seward and I cant imigine is it very profitable in Deep creek unless they burn no fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    One charter booked so fast they added a couple more days to the deal.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Fuel at 3 .00 - 300.00
    Boat Payment
    Insurance
    Advertising
    Maintenance
    Phone Bills
    Bait
    Tackle
    Engine replacement fund
    Deckhand?
    Truck Payment?
    Paid Captain?

The list goes on and one. They might be okay to book a couple of seats at that rate but 600 bucks for a charter is not profitable at all in Seward and I cant imigine is it very profitable in Deep creek unless they burn no fuel.

yep $600 doesn't get you very far from the launch

Default Its comming

With the lower 48 in a full blown recession and it slowly creaping up here. I think the tourism sector is starting to feel the effects of a spiraling economy. If you think deals were their this year, wait until next spring when I think the charter companys will really be feeling the effects. When bills have to be paid, prices will come down.. Like one guy said. some would rather be booked full and fishing making half.. then charging double and sitting at the dock not making a dime.. With people losing jobs, houses, cars and everything.. their not going on vacation to drop 12-1500 on a halibut trip for 2.. No way..

$ 600 may pay the bills, barely and they are hoping for tips to pay themselves.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Shrimp pot guy had some good deals A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO STOPPED BY MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.
    Steve da potbuilder

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Fuel at 3 .00 - 300.00
    Boat Payment
    Insurance
    Advertising
    Maintenance
    Phone Bills
    Bait
    Tackle
    Engine replacement fund
    Deckhand?
    Truck Payment?
    Paid Captain?

If your still tied up to the dock how many of those things are still due? These guys are probably just trying to survive and stay alive for better times. In the end they maybe the only ones to survive this economy. It sucks that is for sure for the business owners.

Mike

Default It's just business

To each their own. If they can make a go of it discounting back to 1996 prices then more power to them. My business model does not lend itself to taking fishermen out for less than it costs me.
    Every guide has to look at their business each year and see what it takes to make it. I can tell you that in fact there are plenty of people in the lower 48 ( and some from Alaska too)that are happy to pay full price for a quality fishing trip on a great boat. At least in my case. Like I said, it all depends on where you are and what you are selling. I do feel like one of the fortunate ones this year, being well booked for the 2009 season.
    I am sure there are going to be a bunch of charters going out of business in the coming year or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast