Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: boon and crockett

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default boon and crockett

    i am going on my first grizzly hunt on tuesday, i pulled a tag fior the kenai penninsula, what does it take to get in the boon and crockett books, where can you get a boon and crockett book? and is anybody on the penninsula that has already seen some that have pushed out and are scavanging for food yet?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudman1 View Post
    what does it take to get in the boon and crockett books
    A Kodiak bear with their genetically large skulls. You won't get there with a Kenai Peninsula bear.

    http://www.boone-crockett.org/

  3. #3

    Default

    I believe on the KP is going to be under the brown bear requirements which is a 26" skull (length and width of skull added together). Whereas a grizz only requires a 24" skull to make the book. A quick check on the B&C website would confirm this.

  4. #4
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Thumbs up B&C Bear Scores

    Boone & Crocket Minimun Scores for both the Awards Program and the All Time Record Book

    Brown Bear, Awards Program = 26 , All Time book = 28

    Grizzly Bear, Awards program = 23, All Time Book = 24

    Black Bear, Awards Program = 20, All Time Book = 21

    Polar Bear, Awards Program = 27, All Time Book = 27

    Mudman,

    Congrats on your Kenai Pen Brown Bear tag. Because the Kenai Peninsula has not been hunted very much for many years, there are some very mature boars living there. But, from a historical standpoint, mature Kenai browns do have large bodies, but smallish skulls. Mature boars will emerge any time now (??). Upper-upper Russian River valley deserves a good look.
    To learn more or to obtain the record book, just google Boone & Crocket Club.

    Dennis
    AK TAGS

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ANCH.
    Posts
    488

    Default why be so negative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    A Kodiak bear with their genetically large skulls. You won't get there with a Kenai Peninsula bear.

    http://www.boone-crockett.org/
    I say good luck! You never know what you might run into out there. My In-laws who have hunted out of Whittier for over 20 yrs laughed at me when I said I wanted to go with them and get a 7' + blackie. Went out with them and a buddy in 2 boats. We decided to cruise Ester Pssg. They came in one way and we went in the other. About 300yrds in I spotted a medium blackie on the shore and my buddy got off the boat, walked around a point and droped it on the beach. After loading it we continued. I spotted another blackie about another 200yrds down the shoreline, but when we got close it had disappeared into the woods. My in-laws each took one coming the other way both medium sized. We anchored for the night and took the bears to the shore to skin and butcher. The next day we decided to do some fishing while we scanned for my bear. By afternoon the weather was starting to change and we decided to head home and come back next weekend for my chance at a bear. On the way back to Whittier, coming out of Port Wells, I spotted a blackie on the beach. It was about 1/2 mile away and appeared to be another medium bear. I told my buddy I wanted to try and take it, figuring it would save time and fuel from making another trip out. He beached the boat around a point from where we saw the bear, and we hiked around the point causioslly. At first all wee could see of it was part of its head because he was behind a logpile. When it finally moved into the open I knew it was the one I was looking for. One shot from the 30-06 at 40yrds, into the heart and through a lung. It spun around in circles for about 10 seconds then fell over dead. We skinned and butchered him on the spot and got back on the boat just before dark. When I took him to F&G they measured him at 8'2" and the skull was 22 1/4". I took it to the same taxidermist my buddy and in-laws went to. When layed out next to thiers it was a good 2 1/2 foot bigger than all of thiers, which averaged 5'10" between the three. So it is possible to get a big one if you are in the right place at the right time, and run into the right bear.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default Thanks

    thanks guys i have a cabin rented for a week and my tag is good through june 15 so i will be selctive and will be shooting for the record books

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default whittier

    I got my blckie out of whittier and it measured 5'10" as well but we had just missed a big boar that disappeared into the woods before i could get moved into position and there was way to many bears where iwas to try and fish my way to the back of this stream, When i shot mine there were 7 bears on the stream that i had open shots on all at once. I made my choice took my shot(he did a back flip took four steps and was done) and all the other bears ran off into the woods. By the time we could get down to where i had shot my bear all the other ones were back on the stream, we fired off another shot just for a piece of mind, but the second time it did not phase them at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    I say good luck! You never know what you might run into out there. My In-laws who have hunted out of Whittier for over 20 yrs laughed at me when I said I wanted to go with them and get a 7' + blackie. Went out with them and a buddy in 2 boats. We decided to cruise Ester Pssg. They came in one way and we went in the other. About 300yrds in I spotted a medium blackie on the shore and my buddy got off the boat, walked around a point and droped it on the beach. After loading it we continued. I spotted another blackie about another 200yrds down the shoreline, but when we got close it had disappeared into the woods. My in-laws each took one coming the other way both medium sized. We anchored for the night and took the bears to the shore to skin and butcher. The next day we decided to do some fishing while we scanned for my bear. By afternoon the weather was starting to change and we decided to head home and come back next weekend for my chance at a bear. On the way back to Whittier, coming out of Port Wells, I spotted a blackie on the beach. It was about 1/2 mile away and appeared to be another medium bear. I told my buddy I wanted to try and take it, figuring it would save time and fuel from making another trip out. He beached the boat around a point from where we saw the bear, and we hiked around the point causioslly. At first all wee could see of it was part of its head because he was behind a logpile. When it finally moved into the open I knew it was the one I was looking for. One shot from the 30-06 at 40yrds, into the heart and through a lung. It spun around in circles for about 10 seconds then fell over dead. We skinned and butchered him on the spot and got back on the boat just before dark. When I took him to F&G they measured him at 8'2" and the skull was 22 1/4". I took it to the same taxidermist my buddy and in-laws went to. When layed out next to thiers it was a good 2 1/2 foot bigger than all of thiers, which averaged 5'10" between the three. So it is possible to get a big one if you are in the right place at the right time, and run into the right bear.

  8. #8

    Default

    The area between Cooper Lake and Upper Russian Lake is generally referred to as "Cooper Mountain". The south facing side of Cooper Mountain and the upper end of Stetson creek are brown bear denning areas. If your permit allows, you can fly in and land on the ice of Upper Russian Lake to access the mountainsides above. Goat Lake and the Goat Creek drainage on the other side of Upper Russian Lake has dens as well. Brown bear tend to rub earlier than black bear. If you wait until the ice goes out and the leaves come out you will have trouble finding a good bear from all the alders and the really soft snow will be the pits for trying to climb after a bear moving across the open on top.
    There are far more brown bear on the Kenai Peninsula than what the Forest Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service, and "Fish & Game" say, their numbers are a joke and have been for years. Most of the young girls that "man" those offices are opposed to hunting and spend a lot of time and effort to justify keeping you out of the back country.
    Tommy

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default awsome

    i rented the aspen flats cabin #5 in between the upper russian lake and lower russian lake. So hopefully i will get something coming out of a den, and not only get my boone and crockett but a really cool hide as well.(Also spring brownie makes amazing chili). But in a week i should be able to work that valley pretty well.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default flying

    i have talked to numerous people and no-one was willing to fly back and land on the lake, everybody was worried about ice rot. if you know someone that is interested in that job please forward them to me, i have made peace with my snow shoes, but would much prefer not to have a aday of hiking on both ends.

  11. #11
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default the Hike

    mudman,

    I agree with the contribution from Tommy Sohappy, above. The are a bunch of bears, and some gig guys, on the Kenai Pen.

    The hike in toward your cabin is very "do-able". I, frankly, expect a hike like that on every personal hunt. And I believe you will find some mature boars in there.
    After you shoot a big boar then the real test begins. A green, raw pelt from a large boar can be -will be- way more than a hundred pounds.
    I have never been in a position to weigh a big bear hide. On one AK Peninsule 10'6" monster, a record book qualifying bear, I could not walk with the head and paws still in it. I could get my pack on my back and I could get up, but I could not walk more than three or four steps before I would crush into the ground. After getting the head and paws out I could walk it off the mountain. The next day I did all the final fleshing and hiked it three miles back to camp. It was heavy but "do-able" with a bunch of grunting and swearing. Good luck. You are going to have the great of a lifetime.

    Do not shoot a black bear. If you do then you will lose a day or two skinning and fleshing. And you can only bring a limited amount of salt anyway. In addition, the black bear meat must be salvaged. So I would recommend that you resist the urge to whack a target-of-opportunity, a black bear. Invest all your energy into whacking a big brown. You have drawn a wonderful brown bear permit.

    The forum will be waiting for pictures and a great story.

    Dennis
    AK TAGS

  12. #12

    Default get a big one...

    I dream of drawing that tag. Lots of brown bears in the Cooper Landing area. You can probably spot one on the hill side behind Princess Lodge. No reason a big hide can't be found as they have had plenty of food and no hunting pressure for a long time. Good hunting to you and let us know how you did.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default the hunt

    yeah i dont think i will take a blackie, i have the cabin rented so i will be able to move it piece by piece back to the cabin if need be and i am comfortable removing the paws and head whioch will save me tremendous amounts of weight. And if i have to i will dump the food in my pack at the cabin to walk it back down. And from what i hear the hike up is not that bad especially considering the levation gain is only like 700ft per mile or something relatively close to that. but i will be selective and i would love to make my mark in that boone and crocket book.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    555

    Default

    I'd call Alex Kime with Alaska Horseman right there in Cooper. He is behind the sunshine.

    He knows that area well and wants bears thinned out. Bet you he would give you a pile of info.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default fly over

    i had a guy from the board fly me around the area this morning and it looked great, quite a bit of snow but there appears to be a well packed snow machine trail all the way back into my cabin. i am debating pulling a sled with my gear in it on the way up that way if i get something i can wear the pack out and drag the hide any might i may want to salvage. how do you guys feel about that idea good or bad? On another note we could not necessarily get close enough with the plane to tell wether or not they were bear tracks but the river is opened up and there are tracks that tend to play around the river quite a bit, as well as the definite moose tracks, and smaller canines and rabits etc etc

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudman1 View Post
    i had a guy from the board fly me around the area this morning and it looked great, quite a bit of snow but there appears to be a well packed snow machine trail all the way back into my cabin. i am debating pulling a sled with my gear in it on the way up that way if i get something i can wear the pack out and drag the hide any might i may want to salvage. how do you guys feel about that idea good or bad? On another note we could not necessarily get close enough with the plane to tell wether or not they were bear tracks but the river is opened up and there are tracks that tend to play around the river quite a bit, as well as the definite moose tracks, and smaller canines and rabits etc etc

    Absolutely, I almost mentioned it earlier figuring there would be a decent trail into your cabin. Good luck
    www.skipulk.com/

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,131

    Smile Kenai brownies

    MM: Good luck! There is nothing so benevolent as reducing the brownie population on the Kenai. Apparently there are a lot of brownies in that area. A friend went black bear hunting at Upper Russian a few years ago. They were later though after the lake was open. They didnt see any blackies, but....He said it was thick so that he climbed a fallen log for a better view to glass blackies and shortly along came a brownie sniffing his trail right up the tree. The brownie was pretty insistent taking two rounds past his ears and much yelling to stop his climbing the log after his meal. I dont know if he had a bacon sandwich in his pocket or what but it gives new meaning to bear baiting. The bears up there need an attitude adjustment!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default snow machine

    this trip just keeps getting better and better i have buddy lending me a sled, so now i am motorized and ready to rock

  19. #19

    Default mud

    Keep us posted and take some pictures. I am curious as to how you'll fair.
    Marc Theiler

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default definitely

    i will definitely be taking lots of pictures to bring back and share

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •