Thread: Rack for soft top jet boat

Default Rack for soft top jet boat

I am thinking about making a rack over my soft top on my boat, and looking for pictures and design ideas. Planning on use some sort of pull pins to attach it so the rack can be removed with relative ease. Going to use aluminum tubing to match my rails (1" or 1 1/4" I have to check). I would like to have it contour the top as close as possible while giving enough room for the canvas to move without rubbing. I have seen one rack before and it looked like they just weld an aluminum lumber rack to a boat, did not blend with the rest of the boat. I guess i'm saying I don't want an eye sore when I'm done. Has anyone build something like this?

Default Boat Mods

A rack was one of the items that got accomplished over the winter, The welding and fabricating was done by Travis, his company is:
    http://www.alaskametalartandgifts.com/

It was a bit of a joint effort, anyway the basket is 3'-6" X 4'-6" w/ flat expanded aluminum on the bottom, it is removeable. You can see a extra one of the "pins" sitting on the gunwale, the rack sits on 4 pins and is held down with a snowmachine hood holddown, also visible in same picture. I will have to try it out and see if the holdowns have enough holding power to do the job. I have some large rubber washers between the pin and the aluminum upright to keep it from rattling.
    The rack is fabed out of 1" I.D. schedule 40 pipe and we tapered in at the top so I could walk down the gunwale and not have the basket in the way. The goal was to make it strong enough to support 200 pounds and I think it will hold that easily. The angle braces we added in to take the side shake out of it. I planned on adding some rod holders on the aft vertical, still waiting on those from another scource, I am beginning to doubt if I will ever see them, probably need to fab some up.
    The rear bar at the transom was made so we can toss a canoe up top and it is removaable as well.
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.

Default Here is

A couple more Rack pics
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.

WOW!! Nice Rack Akgramps

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    WOW!! Nice Rack Akgramps
    Yeah, really happy about the way it turned out, just have to come up with another name besides "RACK" ..............LOL.
    It just conjours up other images in my mind

Akgramps, very nice rack. Here is a photo of the rack I had made last year, I also wanted to be able to remove it. I had 4 pads welded on and use these to bolt to.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Akgramps, very nice rack. Here is a photo of the rack I had made last year, I also wanted to be able to remove it. I had 4 pads welded on and use these to bolt to.

Steve
    Steve,
    I think it was a picture I saw of yours that got me inspired. Very nice!! 20 foot boats are handy, but run out room quick. There is always stuff on the floor and in the way.
    I would like to get some rod holders added, we are planning a trip to Homer mid may, so will get to try it out then.
    I might try to take a run on the Clearwater in 2 weeks. We made a lot of mods over the winter and would like to test it out prior to going to Homer.
    I doubt the ice will be off the rivers in the interior by then.
    John

AKgramps, that is just about exactly what I have in mind. I really like it, nice job.

Those are some great looking racks you guys had built!

Default "Rack"

Yeah, really happy about the way it turned out, just have to come up with another name besides "RACK" ..............LOL.
    It just conjours up other images in my mind

Always brings a smile to my face when I see a "nice rack". Beautiful boats boys.

What did you use to bend the pipe? I am hoping a good hydraulic pipe bender will work.

Default Bender

I borrowed a electric one from an electrician, it could bend 4 diffrent sizes of pipe and also has a degree indicator which was useful for duplicating bends. I can not remember a brand name?